GWT: Premier League Round 2

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Salah is bit overrated and selfish that being said he is still an amazing player.

I would say he's confident. That may come across as selfish but more often than not he makes things happen. Way too early in this season to begin saying he's overrated IMO. Let's see what he does first.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I would say he's confident. That may come across as selfish but more often than not he makes things happen. Way too early in this season to begin saying he's overrated IMO. Let's see what he does first.
He got overrated last season with how people were talking about him. Fantastic player, very effective, but the team does a lot of work for him. He fits this squad like a glove though.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Selfish is also not bad. Not when you have the conversion rate in front of goal he does.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
When you scored as many as he did last year (he was basically scoring each match) you get the right to be a bit selfish.

All of the players who are very good go through peaks and valleys. Mane wasn’t great for much of the start of last season, and Salah was decried as wasteful in the first month or two last season.

I’m not worried about them scoring.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Claudio Bravo suffered a serious injury and could be out the whole season. So City will have no decent backup keeper until January.

What are the emergency keeper rules this season? IIRC, it used to be that if you're down to one senior squad keeper, you can loan another or sign a free agent outside transfer window. Grimshaw now getting a chance at least in the cup competitions is good for him, after all the success he had for their youth teams.

Also, couldn't City still sign and register someone for their CL games? Wonder if someone experienced would be willing to join to sit on the bench in the CL for good salary. What's the situation in PSG, they still have all three of Buffon, Trapp and Areola on their books. If Buffon is really going to be the starter for them for the whole season, one of the others might be willing to leave at least on loan.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Hot take? I think Mane is a better player overall than Salah. Had a bad patch last year but he's more dynamic and better against the ball.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Trapp is totally available. Buffon and Areola haven't been pointed to as #1 or#2. Tuchel says they might split time. He wants to give himself some time he said.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ye Mane is better than Salah the same way Benzema is better than Ronaldo. He brings more and.... Wait... No, he isn't.

Reactions: hatterson

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Streamja - Simple video sharing

What part is a dive? The part where he grabs the stomach area of his shirt to keep him from going past or the part where he kicks him?

As always thanks for the real replay. Some friends popped by so I didn't get to see the game. I can totally get calling it weak, I would say it is, but at the end of the day it's an understandable call and players have been called for weaker and everyone here was clamouring it was someone's fault for putting a hand on. Not really a big deal. Those jerseys though, ech...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ye Mane is better than Salah the same way Benzema is better than Ronaldo. He brings more and.... Wait... No, he isn't.
Ronaldo does more and has been doing it consistently for a decade.

If Salah puts up another season like last year I'll eat my words but I don't see it happening.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ronaldo does more and has been doing it consistently for a decade.

If Salah puts up another season like last year I'll eat my words but I don't see it happening.
Ronaldo does NOTHING but score. Absolutely nothing.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Yeah totally illogical. Freaking great player just like everyone in the front three, but one is clearly better than the rest. Played a bad game, still had multiple chances, won a penalty, had an assist, and likely would have scored if not professional fouled.

As a closing thought, I was thinking that our players who went to the WC weren't as good as the others. Alisson would be the exception to this as he was almost perfect passing as well as goalkeeping. But, unlike yesterday, there are no real excuses. They have to win period. Firmino in particular had a very hard game. If not for a few interceptions by Sakho this could have been a lopsided scoreline.

As for the season like last season, I hope Salah doesn't play that much again.

What are the emergency keeper rules this season? IIRC, it used to be that if you're down to one senior squad keeper, you can loan another or sign a free agent outside transfer window. Grimshaw now getting a chance at least in the cup competitions is good for him, after all the success he had for their youth teams.

Also, couldn't City still sign and register someone for their CL games? Wonder if someone experienced would be willing to join to sit on the bench in the CL for good salary. What's the situation in PSG, they still have all three of Buffon, Trapp and Areola on their books. If Buffon is really going to be the starter for them for the whole season, one of the others might be willing to leave at least on loan.

I think they may be allowed to sign a free agent, but I don't know the rules exactly.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I'll say this , Salah looks fantastic in Klopp's system.

I'm very skeptical that his production of last year supersedes environment. Very skeptical.

Reactions: YNWA14

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Just finished watching the highlights. Good God, those touches from Liverpool were beautiful. Though I do have to say in real time that drop from Salah looked worse, but eh... Keita again wow some amazing passes.

Forgive me Curt but I find it difficult to fathom you calling Salah overrated when you were I think the only one to call him getting 40 last season... but maybe that was just a prediction not an expectation? :laugh: ;)

Reactions: Evilo

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, it’s more than possible that Salah gets 20-25 and Mane 30. Other players should get space with the attention Mo gets.

But Salah is also going to get 3 or 4 in some matches against some bad teams this season.

I think Mane works harder to come back, but Salah was automatic last year. The front thred will rightly take a bit of time to get to midseason form. I’m already worried Firmino might need a rest.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think they can appeal to the FA to emergency move for a keeper. I think Liverpool were rejected a few seasons back for it, but I think United was allowed to do so one season?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I mean, it’s more than possible that Salah gets 20-25 and Mane 30. Other players should get space with the attention Mo gets.

But Salah is also going to get 3 or 4 in some matches against some bad teams this season.

I think Mane works harder to come back, but Salah was automatic last year. The front thred will rightly take a bit of time to get to midseason form. I’m already worried Firmino might need a rest.

Firmino will get a rest when on international break. Can't see him starting for Brazil even though he should. He would have only played 60 minutes or so had Palace not blocked some of those good shots.

As for Mane, sometime earlier this year I posted some stats about how he struggled to adapt to the left side at the first half of last season. In the second half he was scoring more often on the left side than he did on the right in the first place. He is a great player and we are getting a little spoiled by how many of them are in the team now. Would like to have 12 points by the international break. The two away games (Palace and Leicester) are two that I would like to have gone and done with.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'll say this , Salah looks fantastic in Klopp's system.

I'm very skeptical that his production of last year supersedes environment. Very skeptical.

Agreed. He's a great player though with a specific skillset that very much lends itself to this environment. Not taking anything away from his season as it was incredible and he's a great player but I doubt he can replicate it.

Just finished watching the highlights. Good God, those touches from Liverpool were beautiful. Though I do have to say in real time that drop from Salah looked worse, but eh... Keita again wow some amazing passes.

Forgive me Curt but I find it difficult to fathom you calling Salah overrated when you were I think the only one to call him getting 40 last season... but maybe that was just a prediction not an expectation? :laugh: ;)
I actually said if he improved his finishing, but yeah I remember the flak I got then too. That said he's very much a poacher in that sense. His acceleration off the ball and ability to find dangerous space while also having great composure lends itself to a lot of goals in this system especially playing with someone more dynamic on the other side and Firmino who is incredible for both of them.

...are we really doing this prediction vs. expectation thing again? If you actually dont know the difference I'm not going to be able to help you.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
...are we really doing this prediction vs. expectation thing again? If you actually dont know the difference I'm not going to be able to help you.

Dude man, I just don't know why you aren't able to own the fact you called it and it happened.. Be proud!

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Agreed. He's a great player though with a specific skillset that very much lends itself to this environment. Not taking anything away from his season as it was incredible and he's a great player but I doubt he can replicate it.

I watch Liverpool games , and he looks like the exact same player that played for Roma , except he's got way more room and a much more dynamic/fast CF and LW to work with. Dzeko hindered Salah, imo , whilst Firmino accentuates him perfectly. And Mane is just a flat-out much better player than SES/Perotti. Much faster as well.

Klopp's gegen-pressing + his teammates +the Premier League was just a perfect concoction for Salah to explode, imo.

Fair play to him, but it's not like I watch him and think he's a completely different player - he's not.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->