GWT: Premier League Round 2

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pretty convienent to leave out giving up 4 to Tottenham, 5 to City, and 3 to Watford. Also played 4 of the other top 5 opponents on the schedule in those first 9 games, so just 6 games against the other top clubs in the last 29 games. Those stats are cherry-picking at it's finest.

It's not like they are bad defensively, but those stats are misleading.

They do have the best balance besides City, and that's all that matters.

The point was merely that the defense is no longer leaky.

Just to address the City game, Klopp gave up after the red and started taking players out to save them for other games.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The point was merely that the defense is no longer leaky.

Just to address the City game, Klopp gave up after the red and started taking players out to save them for other games.
I think that might've been your point, but I'm not sure that was Sky's point. It was never that leaky IMO. It had some specific weak-spots, that could be exploited by the elite clubs, but overall they were fine. It's not like they were Arsenal.

They had the 2nd best goal differential in the league last season, who cares how they go about doing it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I think that might've been your point, but I'm not sure that was Sky's point. It was never that leaky IMO. It had some specific weak-spots, that could be exploited by the elite clubs, but overall they were fine. It's not like they were Arsenal.

IMO it was pretty leaky. That was also back when Moreno was starting every week, which was so stupid.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I agree Robertson for Moreno has been a even bigger improvement than VVD for Sakho/Matip/Lovren.

Robertson has been amazing since day 1. Yesterday was probably his worst game that I could remember but he was still very good.

Trent Alexander Arnold scare me more and he has been a bit more leaky on his side lately. I know he is young and learning but he will have to improve if Liverpool want to challenge for the title.

I wouldn't mind if we played Clyne instead of him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I haven't really found TAA to be concerning. He's got great recovery speed and our midfield supports the fullbacks really well now.

Reactions: Savant

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Wonder if Wan-Bissaka will take TAA's England squad spot this season. That guy has been on another level in the first 2 games.

TAA being 19, and Wan-Bissaka 20, it will be an interesting battle for the starting spot in the national team long-term, assuming both will keep developing

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wan-Bissaka is not even close to as good as Alexander-Arnold. That's some classic English overrating of players who have barely done anything yet. Holy crap. He's older and has hardly played senior games, meanwhile the other player was dominating attackers in CL knockout stages.

For the record I do think Wan-Bissaka is good but it isn't comparable at all.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think he could be a good player, just a bit different level playing for Palace on a decent team, compared with Liverpool. Let’s watch him this season

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Most of those balls aren't anything special, and he also lost the ball 27 times in the game. I definitely wouldn't hang the loss on him or anything, as the entire team was poor, but Pogba wasn't great or anything either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Most of those balls aren't anything special, and he also lost the ball 27 times in the game. I definitely wouldn't hang the loss on him or anything, as the entire team was poor, but Pogba wasn't great or anything either.
Maybe we're watching different teams, but those balls are effin amazing compared to what I have to see on Arsenal - notably with Xhaka, but it runs deeper than just him.

Reactions: All Might

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Maybe we're watching different teams, but those balls are effin amazing compared to what I have to see on Arsenal - notably with Xhaka, but it runs deeper than just him.
Most of them he isn't really under pressure at all, and I say that as someone who generally likes Pogba as a player and thinks he can be world class in the right situation. I just don't think his performance against BHA is anything to be lauded.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Really? Nothing special? Half of them are of extreme quality.
And of course you're going to lose balls when you're the only one trying to make risky passes.
Pogba was definitively not the problem.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Really? Nothing special? Half of them are of extreme quality.
And of course you're going to lose balls when you're the only one trying to make risky passes.
Pogba was definitively not the problem.
Where specifically did I say Pogba was the problem?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Where specifically did I say Pogba was the problem?
Where specifically did I say he was great?

I'm simply responding to the tons of hate he's getting in the english media since the Brighton game, even from former United players. It's beyond pathetic and shows a clear lack of judgement.

Reactions: Gecklund

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He gets hate for the same reason most expensive players do when they don't carry their team in tough times. People have extremely high expectations for them. It's not Pogba's fault but it's something he's going to have to learn to deal with, especially at United. It's not going to get any better as Mourinho gets worse.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pogba will be fine. He just has to get away from Mourinho. Pogba is a top 5 midfielder in the league at worst even with the shackles on him

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah superstar carry most of the blame when their team struggle even when it's not fair.

Look at Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo.

Pogba is obvously a world class talent but it's also pretty clear he is not happy with Manchester United at this moment.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If you give Xhaka as much time as Pogba had, he can spray some gorgeous passes. The problem is that he can't think and act quick.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He gets hate for the same reason most expensive players do when they don't carry their team in tough times. People have extremely high expectations for them. It's not Pogba's fault but it's something he's going to have to learn to deal with, especially at United. It's not going to get any better as Mourinho gets worse.
Well, I don't think Pogba has shown the IQ side of the game at the level of Modric, Ronaldo or Messi in their particular positions. Majority of us hoped that when he went to Juventus from United he would eventually gain the game through experience and become a complete force. He is still a force of a player, but I propose that he's this generation of Yaya Toure instead of the next Modric, Iniesta, or de Bruyne.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad