Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Ndombele of late I would agree. Season as a whole it looks fairly reasonable to me. Son has slowed down a lot, but can't argue against his start. As an example.

Huge game for Ndombele today. He should be the best midfield player on the pitch and hopefully he will show that.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Saw an article about the top 20 best EPL players this season.

1. Harry Kane
2. Bruno Fernandes
3. Kevin de Bruyne
4. Jack Grealish
5. Heung-Min Son
6. Mohamed Salah
7. Joao Cancelo
8. Dominic Calvert-Lewin
9. Wesley Fofana
10. Tomas Soucek
-------------------------------
20. Mason Mount

Thoughts? Can't argue about the top three, but Mount at twenty is disgustingly bad. If Fofana is at 9, not sure what Gabriel had to do to not get in the top twenty either.

Where was the article? Gonna try and find it. Mount at 20 is IMO a poor take, but I'm definitely biased. I'd take him over a bunch of those guys in the top 10 though.

My TOTS (which I feel like is fair at this point, given that we're halfway through) is as follow:

Grealish - Kane - Salah
Mount - Fernandes - De Bruyne
Chilwell/Tierney - Fofana - Stones - Cancelo
Lloris​

Reactions: Blender

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Where was the article? Gonna try and find it. Mount at 20 is IMO a poor take, but I'm definitely biased. I'd take him over a bunch of those guys in the top 10 though.

My TOTS (which I feel like is fair at this point, given that we're halfway through) is as follow:

Grealish - Kane - Salah
Lloris​
I think you're high on Lloris and I think that Tierney should definitely start, but otherwise, not too much to disagree with.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Team of the season for me

Martinez

Cancelo - Dias - Silva - Tierney

Rice - Gündogan

Son - Fernandes - Grealish

Kane

Partey and Foden could make it had they played more. I don’t see any argument for Chilwell. I think he was a poor signing, Tierney, Shaw, Reguilón, Cresswell and Robertson have had better seasons.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Jose said Kane looks to be out at least a few weeks. They have Chelsea and City soon. This looks to be the annual injury to him. I read he has either assisted or scored in 70% of their goals this season.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Grealish - Kane - Salah
Lloris​
Dias has been the best cb in the league this year?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Jose said Kane looks to be out at least a few weeks. They have Chelsea and City soon. This looks to be the annual injury to him. I read he has either assisted or scored in 70% of their goals this season.
They are indeed very relient on Kane being healthy. They will have to dig deep to get results now.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
City has also had their midfielders playing a lot deeper this year to help out which means their CBs have far less exposure and ground to cover.
Is there any evidence to support this? Gundogan (who usually plays as the second deepest midfielder with Rodri being the farthest back) scoring so freely from advanced positions makes me wonder if this often repeated argument is just made up to explain City's improved defense. I have watched most City games and I didnt notice anything different from previous years as far as positioning is concerned but then again I dont analyze formations etc the way I used to.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gundogan, under the radar, is having an amazing season.

City is having one of those years like Liverpool last year where they could make an argument for at least 7 or 8 spots on TOTY.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Gundogan, under the radar, is having an amazing season.

City is having one of those years like Liverpool last year where they could make an argument for at least 7 or 8 spots on TOTY.

He has been the best midfielder in the league for a month, at least.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He has been the best midfielder in the league for a month, at least.
True, which is shocking, but Ndombele has been better overall.

Vestergaard has also had an unsung hero campaign thus far as well, I would put him before Dias and Silva myself. My CBs of the season would be Stones - Vestergaard with Gabriel being on the bench.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
True, which is shocking, but Ndombele has been better overall.

Vestergaard has also had an unsung hero campaign thus far as well, I would put him before Dias and Silva myself. My CBs of the season would be Stones - Vestergaard with Gabriel being on the bench.
Dias has been the best CB in the Premier League. He has had a Van Dijk level impact on City. Dias-Stones is reasonable, you could include Gabriel, Silva or Vestergaard.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I think you're high on Lloris and I think that Tierney should definitely start, but otherwise, not too much to disagree with.

Chilwell started the season better, Tierney has been better lately, so I have them as a wash.

Went with Lloris because he's been really good and there hasn't been a ~stand-out~ keeper this season, so I'm far from married to him there.

Stones/Dias is a wash for me. Thiago Silva and Vestergaard both have good cases also.

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Andy Robertson is still the best LB btw. He is the only Liverpool player who should be automatically in

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Tierney and Robertson are actually very similar in skillset, and the best left backs in the league (this season, and overall). Tierney has all of the attributes Robertson does, albeit less physically powerful for now. You can prefer who you like, but Tierney and Robertson are the most well rounded left backs in football with elite offensive and defensive abilities. The role of fullbacks has totally changed in a few decades and both of those two have the chance to become among the best left backs in history. Reguilon is a similar player to both, and also a unique mega-talent. Comparing Chilwell to any of these three is disrespectful.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
TOTS

GK. Martínez
RB. Cancelo
CB. Ruben Dias
CB. Stones
LB. Robertson
CM. Gundogan
CM. Grealish