Premier League 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
West Ham's defense has a lot of questions and there's very little separating that tier of clubs so I don't particularly have an issue with anyone placing them bottom half, but "relegation level defense bar Diop" is absurd (on brand though for the messenger).

If Pellegrini guides this team to bottom half this campaign, he gets fired. Pretty simple. I don't particularly understand why they didn't prioritize a center half though, so I'm sort of on board with the skepticism. Seems like they'll try win 4-3 every match, it'll be entertaining at least.

I mean most of the clubs around the relegation zone have players on par with Creswell, Masuaku, Balbuena and Fredericks. They are not really well organised either and sometimes struggle to defend as a unit. West Ham do have a brilliant defensive midfielder in Rice that is vital to them not conceding though, and a good goalkeeper in Fabianski. It might have been a bit of an overexagerration but their defence is not far from relegation level, and they leaked a lot of goals last year, which hasn’t been adressed in the transfer market.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
West Ham's defense has a lot of questions and there's very little separating that tier of clubs so I don't particularly have an issue with anyone placing them bottom half, but "relegation level defense bar Diop" is absurd (on brand though for the messenger).

If Pellegrini guides this team to bottom half this campaign, he gets fired. Pretty simple. I don't particularly understand why they didn't prioritize a center half though, so I'm sort of on board with the skepticism. Seems like they'll try win 4-3 every match, it'll be entertaining at least.
Not a terrible strategy though if you already know you aren't competing with the top 4 teams; you just need to consistently get points against the rest. He knows how to organize an offensive minded team so it could work really well especially with the introduction of VAR. I have West Ham on an outside shot at top 6 with Chelsea and United looking almost shambolic (relative) this season. I also have Norwich finishing at a decent clip for that same reason.

1. Manchester City
2. Liverpool
3. Arsenal
4. Tottenham
5. Wolverhampton
6. West Ham
7. Manchester United
8. Leicester
9. Everton
10. Chelsea
11. Bournemouth
12. Watford
13. Norwich
14. Crystal Palace
15. Southampton
16. Newcastle
17. Aston Villa
18. Burnley
19. Brighton
20. Sheffield

Don't @ me.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
19. Brighton

I'm @ing you.

Potter addressed basically every issue, added more goals, and kept Dunk-Duffy in the middle. There is also depth now. I think we will surprise this year and be closer to the 15-13 range.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm @ing you.

Potter addressed basically every issue, added more goals, and kept Dunk-Duffy in the middle. There is also depth now. I think we will surprise this year and be closer to the 15-13 range.
Thing is I think both Aston Villa and Norwich come in with better teams (and made good additions), and most of the other teams that were already better than Brighton also made some good buys. The mid table is pretty strong IMO, and I don't think Brighton will be able to keep up but I guess we'll see!
You're wrong, but you're entitled to keep your wrong opinion.
I'm wrong that I wouldn't take Kane over those three? Who better to know that than...someone who is not me.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're wrong, but you're entitled to keep your wrong opinion.
Honestly it depends on the team. Liverpool would not take Kane over Firmino because of how Mane and Salah play. Based on how they played without Kane, I think Tottenham would be more happy with that trade off than Liverpool would be.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Honestly it depends on the team. Liverpool would not take Kane over Firmino because of how Mane and Salah play. Based on how they played without Kane, I think Tottenham would be more happy with that trade off than Liverpool would be.

I don´t mean this is in a defensive way, I am honestly curious to hear your view, what way would that be that Kane couldn´t manage?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I absolutely get that, Liverpool's chemistry is just too good to break apart and why a reds fan wouldn't take Kane over their trio. However, if we're talking about individual talent as I was, Kane is the clearcut winner, but that doesn't mean Pool's trio is bad or anything.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Thing is I think both Aston Villa and Norwich come in with better teams (and made good additions), and most of the other teams that were already better than Brighton also made some good buys. The mid table is pretty strong IMO, and I don't think Brighton will be able to keep up but I guess we'll see!

Oh boy, I fear you are severely underrating Brighton. We have experience, the best CB duo out of the bottom half of the prem, and had some amazing adds ourselves.

But hey, time will tell :p

Reactions: N o o d l e s

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
1. Man City
2. Liverpool
3. Spurs
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Man United
7. Leicester
8. Everton
9. Watford
10. West Ham
11. Wolves
12. Bournemouth
13. Southampton
14. Burnley
15. Norwich
16. Brighton
17. Sheffield United
18. Crystal Palace
19. Aston Villa
20. Newcastle

I'm gonna justify some of these:

Winner: City over Liverpool. Why? Can't bet against a team that's taken 198 points out of the past two seasons. Liverpool had a lightning in a bottle season last year and still fell a point short, I will pick City until someone tops them.

Top 4: Spurs and Chelsea over Arsenal and United. Why? Spurs have improved this year and will hopefully have a healthy year out of Kane. Their biggest issue last year was depth, which they've gone a distance to fixing. Chelsea will be approaching this season with low pressure and total fan support. Ultras won't turn against Lampard like they would another manager, and the transfer ban means that Roman will have more patience. Losing Hazard is obviously immensely bad, but the integration of a lot of players into the side could have great results. People are sleeping on us, I think. Why do I take them over Arsenal and United? Arsenal had a great window, I think both the Pepe and Tierney signings are top notch, and Luiz should have a great time pinging diagonals to Auba and Laca. I still have huge doubts over both their defense and midfield, and I think Chelsea are significantly better in both of those areas. United look bad. Ditching Lukaku without bringing in a replacement was stupid - he had a rough year last year, but I look at their squad and I don't see where goals come from. Besides Pogba, I think their midfield is pretty awful and got worse with the departure of Herrera. Maguire makes their backline better, but it's still really poor. They're gonna be really dependent on moments of individual brilliance from Rashford and Pogba.

7-11: Leicester are the best of the rest. A full season under Rodgers should mean a big year from Jamie Vardy, who had 10 goals in 11 fixtures after Rodgers came in in the spring. Maddison is a year older and a year better. Tielemans permanent is wicked dope. Losing Maguire blows but I love their midfield and attack a lot. Everton had a great window and brought in a lot of good talent, Marco Silva has come into himself at Goodison. Everyone always sleeps on Watford and shouldn't sleep on Watford, they look nice. West Ham brought in a bunch of players, some of whom I think are a bit of a gamble. If Haller and Fornals can integrate well, I could see them creeping all the way up to 7th. Wolves will struggle to balance Europe and PL fixtures - Nuno used a small small squad last season, and it'll be a big challenge for him to trust his depth and rotate.

Relegation: This seems like the year where it all falls apart for Palace, just like there were all those years where folks were certain Sunderland would go down. They were way too dependent upon Zaha and Milivojevic last year, and I don't see Zaha having as good a year as he did last year. Aston Villa essentially bought a new squad, which I think will mess up their internal dynamics. They'll start badly and struggle to recover. Newcastle are internally shambolic, Steve Bruce is terrible.

Reactions: Live in the Now

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I agree with you about Wolves. We've seen it a thousand times when teams juggle European competition and I think to begin with it was a bit of "lightning in a bottle" last season.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
My instinct was to put Brighton there, but I do like Graham Potter. You're welcome.

I also like Graham Potter since i hate Östersund. He made them a top team in swedish football and then he left and now Östersund are in the bottom of the league. For those who don't know, Östersund cheated to stay up in the top tier. It wasn't Potters fault, but he was the main reason they could stay at the top and participate in the Europa League.

Reactions: robertmac43
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad