Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Arsenal has a great chance of getting into the top 4, so I hope it doesn't get cancelled.

theyre 8 pts back behind 5 teams, with 10 games to go.

Those 10 games include City, wolves and Spurs away. Liverpool and Leicester at home.

wouldn’t be favorited in half the matches they got left.

Reactions: mmvvpp

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
theyre 8 pts back behind 5 teams, with 10 games to go.

Those 10 games include City, wolves and Spurs away. Liverpool and Leicester at home.

wouldn’t be favorited in half the matches they got left.
Arsenal have the 17th (or 3rd) easiest remaining schedule of the 20 EPL teams. Sure that schedule looks tough, but 16 teams have tougher schedules and Arsenal are in good form except one random match against a corona-filled Greece. We got this.

Reactions: Cassano

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Well, Europe is a bit ahead of NA in the 'curve' but at the same time you're also talking about players that will have had more than a 2 month rest at that point already, then another rest afterward because I highly doubt the Euros will go ahead with all of this going on. I don't see fatigue being the issue going forward here. Logistics are going to be a problem obviously but they'll sort it out. Money talks.
Except the usual ~10 month season becomes 12-14 months. Plus the Euros after that.
Pardon me, I didn't read through this whole thread, but what about the 2022 World Cup? If games keep being pushed back further and further, what happens to the '22 World Cup tournament? For ALL leagues, and ALL Cup competitions in the 20-21 season, do they just play far fewer matches so that everything in the 19-20 season (19-20 domestic matches, 19-20 Champions/Europa Leagues, etc.) can be done? If every single domestic & Cup match must be played due to contractual obligations, how would they fit it all in?! That would push up against the '22 World Cup. Forget the corona virus - many, many players would die due to exhaustion!

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I can imagine the 2022 World Cup takes place exactly as planned even if it requires a Weekend at Bernie's scenario, or a tournament comprising teams of holograms.

We all know about the, shall we say, levels of zeal that surround the staging of that particular tournament.

Reactions: YNWA14

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

None of the teams want the season voided. It will be finished.

This has been obvious, IMO, since the beginning. Not from a personal standpoint because again, I don't think finishing the season changes anything for Liverpool for me especially now that they've been eliminated from the CL. There's just too much money involved. They'll likely be starting back up sooner than people expect as well.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
UEFA just made a deal with clubs to ensure the season will be finished. Even after June. There is language in the deal pertaining to if the season hasn't finished by then, saying that the European competitions will be altered in that event.

Yeah, the season will be finished, even if has to named season 19-21.

There won't be as much uproar (if any at all) about a season that never started, started late or had different rules (number of games) than a previous one. People won't moan about season that never was years into the future compared to a unfinished season. Transfer windows, player contracts etc. are a non-issue, player personnel changes during a normal season as well. Heck, older posters here can remember even times when there were no transfer windows at all, but players could move at any time (at least inside the domestic league).

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah, the season will be finished, even if has to named season 19-21.

There won't be as much uproar (if any at all) about a season that never started, started late or had different rules (number of games) than a previous one. People won't moan about season that never was years into the future compared to a unfinished season. Transfer windows, player contracts etc. are a non-issue, player personnel changes during a normal season as well. Heck, older posters here can remember even times when there were no transfer windows at all, but players could move at any time (at least inside the domestic league).

They can also just do a 2021 season starting in the winter if things really get to that point. Then they would readjust things after the World Cup. There are all kinds of things that they can do to fix the next season as you suggested.

There's no chance in hell of them cancelling this season though, I don't know why people can't really get that.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Any teams that are particularly injured at the moment? This forced break could be beneficial if so.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Spurs are not complaining. Kane, Son, Sissoko, Bergwijn and Davies back - while N'Dombele spends 5 hours a day on a treadmill.

Don't think it matters much, but got to be one of the teams "benefiting" the most from this (Spurs always win - delay or cancellation - world is unfair).

I could see there being some sort of Qatar-adjustment, but right now I really don't see how they will ever catch up this lost time. Maybe it will force UEFA, FA etc. to start reducing games? Would be a fantastic side-effect if so.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
IMO the league cup will get cut for a year, games will be played in those mid week spots to shorten the time of the next season.

Every team will need very good depth. There also may be some kind of playoff mechanism to reduce the schedule and still make more money.

Reactions: robertmac43

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
IMO the league cup will get cut for a year, games will be played in those mid week spots to shorten the time of the next season.

Every team will need very good depth. There also may be some kind of playoff mechanism to reduce the schedule and still make more money.

I think they’ll also push a few more midweek games near the start of the season.

It wouldn’t be hard to chop 6-7 weeks of the length of the season by adding midweek games throughout.

I assume the CL will also make some changes, maybe a shorter qualifying and group stage, in order to trim theirs as well.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
How many mid weeks are free in a normal season? I guess a combined effort removing the league cup etc. could work?

Not sure if I see the consistency in argumentation though. The League Cup might go as if that has no financial effect on things.

Time will show how many weeks one would need to catch up. My gut feeling right now is telling me that it will not be possible to catch up everything in 12 months ("one season").

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
There will need to be a preseason as I don't think any player will be match fit. That needs to be considered when they come up with whatever schedule they come up with.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Arsenal have the 17th (or 3rd) easiest remaining schedule of the 20 EPL teams.

Based on what? They won't be favorites in 50% of their remaining matches. 50%

I'd love to see a metric that calls that an easy schedule. Just browsing Wolves, United, Chelsea and Spurs remaining - none have more matches against the top than you.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Still can't get my head around how that would work, but all for it if it does.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
He isn’t wrong. Obviously getting a cure for the coronavirus is imperative, but locking down the world for 2/3/4/5 months at a time will destroy the economy.

The economy doesn't just go up in a straight arrow. If what is being done can save potentially millions from death then it's worth it.

Reactions: Jussi

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Based on what? They won't be favorites in 50% of their remaining matches. 50%

I'd love to see a metric that calls that an easy schedule. Just browsing Wolves, United, Chelsea and Spurs remaining - none have more matches against the top than you.
@YNWA14 posted it, in response that LFC have an easier schedule than us.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The economy doesn't just go up in a straight arrow. If what is being done can save potentially millions from death then it's worth it.
I'm not saying just let people die. But to just ignore the economy is just as dangerous as ignoring the virus. It's all about getting the vaccinations/cures out as fast as possible when safe to do so, whilst not letting the worlds economy just bottom out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad