Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Looks like 32 year old Monreal is getting an extension at Arsenal. He is one of the older players that I would love for the club to keep around.

Nacho is a stud and can play CB in a pinch if needed too. He's equally as productive as Marcos Alonso in open play (and not terrible at defending) but you'd hardly know it. There's a reason he was on Spain's WC team this year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Nacho is a stud and can play CB in a pinch if needed too. He's equally as productive as Marcos Alonso in open play (and not terrible at defending) but you'd hardly know it. There's a reason he was on Spain's WC team this year.
If it wasn't for our LB woes via injuries, I would play Monreal at CB over Mustafi at the first possible second if I was manager.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If it wasn't for our LB woes via injuries, I would play Monreal at CB over Mustafi at the first possible second if I was manager.

I'd still prefer him at LB, because he makes good decisions in build-up and overlaps well. Though I'd agree with considering to play him at CB with Kolasinac at LB just to get Mustafi off the pitch.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Monreal is too choir boy for me , but he's a good player and probably a coach's dream.

I can see why Emery wants to keep him around whilst he rebuilds the culture.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I honestly think Nacho has been one of the most underrated players in the prem the past couple of seasons. He is solid in almost every aspect of the game.

Reactions: S E P H and KJS14

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
I honestly think Nacho has been one of the most underrated players in the prem the past couple of seasons. He is solid in almost every aspect of the game.
I agree. He's quietly a very solid player with some offensive punch. Much better LB than he gets credit for.

I'm a big fan of Bellerin. Needs to step up his game a bit but he's an interesting dude. As an man who is losing his hair, I am jealous of his flow. I had that look back in the day...man, I miss those good hair days....lol...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

It took him two years and a net spend of £363 million to get what was already the most expensive squad in the league the title, but now he's downplaying the league? I'm sure he wouldn't have said anything like this after 16-17.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

The premier league is by far the most entertaining league to watch. I cannot find any pleasure anymore watching ligue 1 games with many empty seats unless it's derby game. Same apply for Serie A. The spain league is above the premier league in term of quality.

Pensionsraddare

May 18, 2018
Karlstad
Arsenal with the team that started the game: Clearly not better then sixth.

Arsenal after substituting Torreira in the second half: Probably at least top 4. Differencemaker. Cannot believe Emery ain't starting him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Arsenal with the team that started the game: Clearly not better then sixth.

Arsenal after substituting Torreira in the second half: Probably at least top 4. Differencemaker. Cannot believe Emery ain't starting him.
Even with Torreira I have a hard time seeing them finish any higher than 6th. Liverpool and City are obvious. Chelsea looks so much better under Sarri and Hazard has been fantastic to start. Spurs are still great. United have looked so much better these past two games. Right now I see the top 3 as City, Liverpool, and Chelsea with Spurs, United and Arsenal battling it out for the last spot and I just have a hard time seeing Arsenal beating out United and Spurs. I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if at the end of the season it does happen to be Arsenal but right now I just don’t see them on that level.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Moyes has claimed that he was a good striker away from contending for the PL title while at Everton.

old.jpg

url

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

He's exactly right. I'd add the fact that it's England and the money involved adds to the false perception.

The premier league is by far the most entertaining league to watch. I cannot find any pleasure anymore watching ligue 1 games with many empty seats unless it's derby game. Same apply for Serie A. The spain league is above the premier league in term of quality.

La Liga is definitely above the Premiership in terms of quality and it's every bit as entertaining if not in part as a result. Having watched a pretty entertaining match in Everton vs West Ham today, I still walked away somewhat disappointed as to the quality. Here you two sides that had net spends of about 76 and 90 million (euros) respectively, and yet a side like Real Sociedad who actually took in more than they spent just played a far better match against the defending Champions and were equally as entertaining when it was all said and done.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Been saying this for years much like others on here... Pep says it now and he's a visionary. lol

It took him two years and a net spend of £363 million to get what was already the most expensive squad in the league the title, but now he's downplaying the league? I'm sure he wouldn't have said anything like this after 16-17.

He should win the title with cardif to prove this point? Get real.

Well he never says those leagues are better or even that the EPL is bad... he just says it's not as good as it perceived. 110% accurate and there's not a single thing you can argue otherwise.... well you could but you'd be wrong.

Reactions: les Habs

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He should win the title with cardif to prove this point? Get real.
Where did I say that? It's pretty much universally accepted that the EPL and La Liga are the only two leagues in the discussion for top league, and La Liga has the edge even just based on continental success for sure. So how does it seem "better than it is"? You have fans that overrate the league, but you have that for every league.

Pep came into the EPL in 16-17 and the narrative on this board and league wide was that Manchester City would walk the league with him that season because he was so good. Obviously things were tougher than expected considering he had to overhaul half the squad with a massive spending budget over two years to get that result. The narrative can't simultaneously be that Pep is some footballing genius and prophet for the amazing 17-18 season with City with a stacked team, and that the league isn't as good as people think.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
La Liga refereeing kills that league. Spain is better if you like seeing top teams duke it out while EPL is better if you like the underdog actually having a chance to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad