Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Based on what?
Television money? Have you ever seen the likes of Leganes, Girona, Chievo, Nurnberg, or Koln spend the money on transfer players as Fulham did as a promoted club?

Effin' Watford just beat the richest football club in the world earlier this month (1). Wolves tied 100-point Man City as well and had chances to win that game. EPL has amazing parity if you actually take in the best clubs and see that teams have a chance to win every week.

[1]: Man Utd tops football's global rich list

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Television money? Have you ever seen the likes of Leganes, Girona, Chievo, Nurnberg, or Koln spend the money on transfer players as Fulham did as a promoted club?

Effin' Watford just beat the richest football club in the world earlier this month (1). Wolves tied 100-point Man City as well and had chances to win that game. EPL has amazing parity if you actually take in the best clubs and see that teams have a chance to win every week.

[1]: Man Utd tops football's global rich list

None of this is convincing. You're talking about money. That's not the same as having a good team. I would also say the parity is that most teams just suck. Also Watford lost to United. They beat Spurs. Not that has really any meaning in any grand scheme of things.

Spain's 3/4/5/6th best teams have routinely dismantled equal table EPL sides in europe.

It's frankly not even close. Spain has 7 of the last 10 CL titles and 6 of the last 10 EL. If you go to 11 years, 2 EPL teams have won titles in europe - Man United & Chelsea. 1 CL and 1 EL each. 2 teams, which is routinely the argument about Spain - it only has the two big teams.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
1. More TV money than rest of Europe.
2. More money leads to more talented players (except if a team is completely inept).
3. More talent leads to better parity.
4. More parity leads to higher chance of underdogs preforming well against better teams.
5. ?????? (aka Leicester City winning the league).
6. Best overall league in the world (La Liga still have the best teams though).

Reactions: Arcade Fire

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't really view it that way, it's more like 15th place team in league X has better chance against the top teams than 15th place team league Y.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don't really view it that way, it's more like 15th place team in league X has better chance against the top teams than 15th place team league Y.
That’s because EPL is all about defense and hard tackles. At least other leagues attack.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Where did I say that? It's pretty much universally accepted that the EPL and La Liga are the only two leagues in the discussion for top league, and La Liga has the edge even just based on continental success for sure. So how does it seem "better than it is"? You have fans that overrate the league, but you have that for every league.

Pep came into the EPL in 16-17 and the narrative on this board and league wide was that Manchester City would walk the league with him that season because he was so good. Obviously things were tougher than expected considering he had to overhaul half the squad with a massive spending budget over two years to get that result. The narrative can't simultaneously be that Pep is some footballing genius and prophet for the amazing 17-18 season with City with a stacked team, and that the league isn't as good as people think.

You implied it with the whole most expensive side ever. He's definitely not a prophet but he is the best coach in the world there's no argument for anyone else really. And the EPL isn't as great as what people make it out to be. These aren't mutually exclusive.

1. More TV money than rest of Europe.
2. More money leads to more talented players (except if a team is completely inept).
3. More talent leads to better parity.
4. More parity leads to higher chance of underdogs preforming well against better teams.
5. ?????? (aka Leicester City winning the league).
6. Best overall league in the world (La Liga still have the best teams though).

Sevilla would beat anyone not named City or LFC regularly. And they are 5th best in la liga.

More like 15 place team in Spain has a better chance of beating the top teams in the EPL than the 15th place in the English league does. Despite less money or "talent"

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Sevilla would beat anyone not named City or LFC regularly. And they are 5th best in la liga.

More like 15 place team in Spain has a better chance of beating the top teams in the EPL than the 15th place in the English league does. Despite less money or "talent"
England has the hardest schedule of any league by far. La Liga teams are kept fresh for Euro competitions and why they tend to do better than England clubs.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
England has the hardest schedule of any league by far. La Liga teams are kept fresh for Euro competitions and why they tend to do better than England clubs.

Baseless conclusion.

Totally disregards other more important variables. Typical in the arrogance of the EPL not unlike the arrogance of England's NT.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You implied it with the whole most expensive side ever. He's definitely not a prophet but he is the best coach in the world there's no argument for anyone else really. And the EPL isn't as great as what people make it out to be. These aren't mutually exclusive.
I think the statement he made could apply to Pep as well. Pep isn't as good as he's made out to be; neither is the EPL. That said it's still one of the two best leagues in the world...don't really need to pump it up more than that.

Eh...I don't think they would 'regularly' beat Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or even United (maybe under Mourinho).

EDIT: Read that wrong. I mean...I don't think this is true a general rule. I think it largely will vary season to season.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think the statement he made could apply to Pep as well. Pep isn't as good as he's made out to be; neither is the EPL. That said it's still one of the two best leagues in the world...don't really need to pump it up more than that.

There's millions of fans across the world I'm sure there are some who think he's better than he actually is. might be one of them. This little caveat is lost on Ronaldo fans.

Eh...I don't think they would 'regularly' beat Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal or even United (maybe under Mourinho).

They literally just humiliated Man U. What I mean by regularly is that the game would probably be 50/50.
EDIT: Read that wrong. I mean...I don't think this is true a general rule. I think it largely will vary season to season.

I mean it's not an exact science but I think the majority of the time this is the case.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
That’s because EPL is all about defense and hard tackles. At least other leagues attack.

....... seriously?

The premier league is not about defense - at all, and that's why I (and others) enjoy watching it as a neutral.

The premier league is all about pace and athleticism.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I'm going to just take the plunge and admit the league I love (Serie A) , is not, in-fact, the best league in the world.

It's growing, but it's needs a lot of work. Terrible ownership has held clubs back, and thus, the league as a whole.

The best run clubs are Juventus, Sassuolo and Atalanta. It seems Fiorentina has caught on to the realization of building a sustainable program from their academy/young players as well , so I'm proud of them too.

Also, I'd like to say, comparing leagues by how teams from each respective country do against each other in European knockout competitions is an argument full of holes. Roma, for instance, is not better than Barcelona even though we knocked them out. Therefore, it is not indicative of Serie A's superiority over La Liga.

As you were. Please continue.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You don't get to toss out a straw man argument, and when I deny making the argument you claimed, claim I "implied" it in my post.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
....... seriously?

The premier league is not about defense - at all, and that's why I (and others) enjoy watching it as a neutral.

What? That is literally all they have is defense. Every team except Liverpool, City, and Spurs to an extent play sit back and counter attack.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
....... seriously?

I think you're right that it's all about pace and athleticism, but it's also about defending. A lot of the teams play a counterattacking style, even Leicester City won the league doing this. In some other leagues like La Liga for example, there is much more emphasis on ball retention and technique throughout the league than in England. It's one reason some players from the continent have flopped hard in England as well, as they just aren't used to and can't handle how much more physical England is, in the same way your depth English player probably wouldn't do well in Spain.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
What? That is literally all they have is defense. Every team except Liverpool, City, and Spurs to an extent play sit back and counter attack.

Chelsea under Sarri sit back and counter? You gotta be joking.

No, my friend. If you want to watch mind-numbing defensive football , watch a minnow play a giant in Serie A.

The premier league is not defensive.

Spain- technical
England- pace/athleticism
Germany- a mix of both
Italy- tactics/defense

You don't judge a leagues identity only by the clubs in the top 4-6.

Fulham play good stuff under Jokanović
Everton play quality stuff with Silva
Bournemouth like to play possession under Howe
Watford under Garcia aren't afraid to play
Wolves play an expansive style under Nuno
West Ham try to play progressive football under Pellegrini

I mean, the list goes on..

Serie A is filled with clubs that play like Newcastle under Benitez. There is no expectation to entertain in Italy -- it's all about results. And tactics are obsessed about to an irrational level. Hell, even the league's best team doesn't really play attacking football.

If you're judging clubs by how they look playing against United , then you're not really getting a good grasp on what the league is like.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I mean I don't think this is entirely true, but I do find the play in the PL to be more defensive than most other top leagues in general (not in a proactive way, such as counterpressing, though France and Italy are both pretty defensive as well).

Reactions: Gecklund

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
L1 is extremely defensive and tactical. That's what players coming in from different leagues say as well.
It's rather weak on offense and creativity unfortunately, except for youngsters who are quickly bought by other leagues.
A few teams try to play open technical football with few money (Dijon, Troyes in previous years, Nice under Favre, even if they countered a lot in their second year), and a few others like to play passionnate direct football (Caen, Guingamp, Nîmes) and can beat any giant on a given day. Rest are counter attack teams, even mid-table with a huge stress put on tight spaces defensively and absolutely no place to attack for the opponent.
Lyon, OM, Monaco and PSG (sometimes Rennes and Favre's Nice) are the only teams trying to create some offense as the basis of their game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->