Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Have Liverpool and their players contributed?

Yep. They also held a charity game in Dublin with some old players from both Ireland and Liverpool.

Roma also contributed a lot.

I don't know who else got "battered in the street" so I'm not sure what else that could have been about.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I find it hard to compare teams across decades. The nostalgia is always strong. And the game is very different, not just with money, but tactically now than it was 15 years ago. What the referees let go is different as well.

Reactions: YNWA14

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I still think you Liverpool fans will be insufferable on here when you finally win the title lol.

I kid of course.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yep. They also held a charity game in Dublin with some old players from both Ireland and Liverpool.

I don't know who else got "battered in the street" so I'm not sure what else that could have been about.

The article references Liverpool fans that were assaulted in Kiev, so maybe that. But, that's pretty much as bad. They are talking about fans that were assaulted, that's just sick. In the end, it's just a game.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

I'm surprised it hasn't met their 1m target.

Man City should help make up what's remaining of the goal. Classless :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I still think you Liverpool fans will be insufferable on here when you finally win the title lol.

I kid of course.
Hear hear. I think everyone gets a bit insufferable when they win. I think it was nonsense to single out (not you) one fan group as being more insufferable than another.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hear hear. I think everyone gets a bit insufferable when they win. I think it was nonsense to single out (not you) one fan group as being more insufferable than another.
Oh for sure. It should all just be good fun. You guys just have a few more posters than other clubs, so it's easy to poke fun at.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Oh for sure. It should all just be good fun. You guys just have a few more posters than other clubs, so it's easy to poke fun at.
That's fine. We can take it.

And I think the majority of soccer fans (especially North American) can turn it off some of the needle during the offseason. Which is nice.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That's fine. We can take it.

And I think the majority of soccer fans (especially North American) can turn it off some of the needle during the offseason. Which is nice.
I don't understand how some can't draw a line between making some jokes at fans that make homer comments about their team or about how an owner bought the success of a club and physically assaulting people that are fans of a different team. This should all be an escape from the crap in the world.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
How would you compare Defoe's talent level to the likes of the current attackers in the EPL?

And wouldn't part of the reason for their negative tactics is because other teams didn't have that much money to spend? Compared to now where a team like Bournemouth can throw 20 million pounds without worry for someone like Solanke?

I think Jermain Defoe's talent level was good enough that transported to 2018/19 he could theoretically start for pretty much any EPL team outside the top six - on condition they wanted to play to his strengths. I'd describe Defoe as more 'talented' than Vardy or Chris Wood, but none of that trio play the exact same styles and I doubt Dyche would want to depart from having a big target man, for instance.

It wasn't lack of money that caused the negativity (while Italian and German football had gone though cash crises around 2001, the EPL was growing as a financial force), rather that the league was packed with British coaches - O'Leary, Bruce, Allardyce, Hughes, Curbishley, Dowie, Moyes, Coleman, McClaren, Souness, Redknapp, Bryan Robson.

You point us towards an interesting question, though. What would happen if one of the richest clubs on the planet employed Sir David Moyes? Someone should try that. Bet he'd reintroduce the W formation and his team would score 160 goals in a season.

Bet if some Middle Eastern chancers were to throw a big heap of money at Mark Hughes it'd be a sight to see. The wave of incredibly innovative football would sweep the competition aside.

Reactions: phisherman

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
The article references Liverpool fans that were assaulted in Kiev, so maybe that. But, that's pretty much as bad. They are talking about fans that were assaulted, that's just sick. In the end, it's just a game.

Yup I think they are referencing the Ukrainian hooligans who attacked Liverpool (and Real) fans in Kyev. Still pretty shitty though by professional footballers to sing about hooliganism and violence in a positive way + making fun of injuring a fellow athlete.

Oh well kind of ironic how they make fun of Liverpools effort in Europe with their fantastic history

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I think Jermain Defoe's talent level was good enough that transported to 2018/19 he could theoretically start for pretty much any EPL team outside the top six - on condition they wanted to play to his strengths. I'd describe Defoe as more 'talented' than Vardy or Chris Wood, but none of that trio play the exact same styles and I doubt Dyche would want to depart from having a big target man, for instance.

It wasn't lack of money that caused the negativity (while Italian and German football had gone though cash crises around 2001, the EPL was growing as a financial force), rather that the league was packed with British coaches - O'Leary, Bruce, Allardyce, Hughes, Curbishley, Dowie, Moyes, Coleman, McClaren, Souness, Redknapp, Bryan Robson.

You point us towards an interesting question, though. What would happen if one of the richest clubs on the planet employed Sir David Moyes? Someone should try that. Bet he'd reintroduce the W formation and his team would score 160 goals in a season.

Bet if some Middle Eastern chancers were to throw a big heap of money at Mark Hughes it'd be a sight to see. The wave of incredibly innovative football would sweep the competition aside.

Very good point. I completely forgot about all the British managers at the time.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s just classless. All of the Liverpool players had good things to say about City, and there’s genuine respect between the managers.

Disappointing. They have some good guys who I like, but obviously some clowns

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

I was thinking about the demographics of fans on this forum the other day. Do we have any City fans that regularly post here?? I feel like it's an under-represented team on these parts.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I actually laughed because a buddy of mine’s relatives are all City fans. Like Sunday, they all had full kits. Mom, Dad, three kids. Brand new kits.

I mean, if Liverpool were going to win it, I might’ve busted out an old kit, but ridiculous.

Sep 19, 2008
Outrage as City players sing about LFC fans being 'battered in the streets'

Outrage as Man City players filmed singing about Liverpool fans being 'battered in the streets'. I mean City fans are one thing. They’re just plain weird with their mad L’pool obsession. But the players singing that ..... One thing is for damn sure. Any of our lads did similar under Klopp they wouldn’t be playing for this football club again anytime soon. ****bags.

@Halladay

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Yea right, if they were good, they would be playing; Klopp or not.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and think it's not about Sean Cox but as I'm taught in my trade, perception is reality, and the song offering reason to believe it's about Sean Cox is a tough look. They do sing about Salah being injured, though, and I wouldn't want my players doing that. It's primarily silly because it's about a match in Kiev between Real Madrid and Liverpool (who battered City en route to Kiev), and because City has no European success.

This is a rivalry born of being competitive at the same time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roman Fell

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I've seen websites blasting Man U. They may have underachieved given their team and resources, but they still finished 6th with 66 points. Being better than 14/20 teams is not a complete disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00