Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Let's not pollute sport with politics.

Newcastle United were the most televised club outside the top six this season, and the second most the year before that. So they are a massive asset to the league and therefore deserve the right to crush smaller clubs like cockroaches.

I always thought human rights were overrated.

Who doesn't secretly want to grovel before a foreigner who owes their position to their parents rather than any talent of their own? Know your place, say I.

Anyway, isn't the most important human right the right of Europeans to be gratified in their overemotional response to a bunch of strangers kicking a ball around some grass? Football is life. You only have to listen to marketing campaigns to know this fundamental moral truth.

Everybody knows women drivers are a bit on the unreliable side. Isn't keeping them off the roads doing us all a favour?

If anyone mentions Newcastle being funded by lovely people you are racist, and probably enjoy committing sexual acts with fire hydrants.

Besides, who dares cast the first stone?

- what about those who profited from the breakup of Russia?
- what about Franco and his mates?
- what about Calciopoli?
- what about Agent Orange?
- what about the films of Michael Bay?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Let's not pollute sport with politics.

Newcastle United were the most televised club outside the top six this season, and the second most the year before that. So they are a massive asset to the league and therefore deserve the right to crush smaller clubs like cockroaches.

I always thought human rights were overrated.

Who doesn't secretly want to grovel before a foreigner who owes their position to their parents rather than any talent of their own? Know your place, say I.

Anyway, isn't the most important human right the right of Europeans to be gratified in their overemotional response to a bunch of strangers kicking a ball around some grass? Football is life. You only have to listen to marketing campaigns to know this fundamental moral truth.

Everybody knows women drivers are a bit on the unreliable side. Isn't keeping them off the roads doing us all a favour?

If anyone mentions Newcastle being funded by lovely people you are racist, and probably enjoy committing sexual acts with fire hydrants.

Besides, who dares cast the first stone?

- what about those who profited from the breakup of Russia?
- what about Franco and his mates?
- what about Calciopoli?
- what about Agent Orange?
- what about the films of Michael Bay?

As you usual A1 post. But women can drive in the UAE. And Human Rights are only for the West(well that's if you go by the American foreign policy.) Just finished the vice. Only took me about 4 days a very entertaining film tbh. Same old shit though.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
How many billionaire Arab sheikhs are there anyway?

Oil and gas industry is approx. 2 trillion business (2 000 billion). So if let's say 60 % went into expenses, that would leave 800 billionaires annually. If half of them would be of the variety you mentioned, there would be 400...plenty enough for many more clubs. Globally, there are estimated to be over 2 000 billionaires.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Jaap Stam and Paul Scholes apparently didn't treat the Treble Reunion charity match as a charity match but played full out. DeMichelis definitely felt it and Jaap Stam didn't go easy either. :laugh:

Reactions: sabremike

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Oil and gas industry is approx. 2 trillion business (2 000 billion). So if let's say 60 % went into expenses, that would leave 800 billionaires annually. If half of them would be of the variety you mentioned, there would be 400...plenty enough for many more clubs. Globally, there are estimated to be over 2 000 billionaires.
The only correct answer here is too much.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Once I read that this guy tried to buy a stake in Liverpool and was asked to prove his funds by giving the owners a 25,000,000 deposit that he failed to give, I kinda knew this was going to happen.

He has failed to provide proof of funds for this so far.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, Newcastle deserve much better. But I wonder if they couldn’t succeed with a group more like Liverpool’s group. They’re in it for profit, sure, but they attempt to be fair stewards at the same part. I figure their supporters would rather it (though the temptation to see all kinda money being tossed around after Ashley has to be strong).

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean, Newcastle deserve much better. But I wonder if they couldn’t succeed with a group more like Liverpool’s group. They’re in it for profit, sure, but they attempt to be fair stewards at the same part. I figure their supporters would rather it (though the temptation to see all kinda money being tossed around after Ashley has to be strong).
That's an easy temptation for anyone. I imagine most Newcastle supporters would bristle at this link the way Stray Wasp seemingly has, similar to West Ham supporters when there was that rumor about Red Bull looking to get into England, though.

If you sell your soul for trophies does it even matter?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
That's an easy temptation for anyone. I imagine most Newcastle supporters would bristle at this link the way Stray Wasp seemingly has, similar to West Ham supporters when there was that rumor about Red Bull looking to get into England, though.

If you sell your soul for trophies does it even matter?
At the end of the day it's a business. If it's a richer, better run business as long as they're still 'true to the roots' and try to connect with fans I don't see how that would be selling your soul.

It's not like most multi-millionaires that own sports teams have unquestionable ethics.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I think it would be a treat for true, longtime lifelong fans who are and would still stick with the club regardless of playing in lower leagues. I’m always going to be annoyed how a team in the potential situation being discussed all of the sudden gains an army of millions of new “fans” once they become a top spender ala Man City. That just bugs me.

When I was a kid, everyone and their mother was an ACmilan fan. Today, not so many of those around.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, we can be rational and have a middle ground between owners. But that said, Ashley has been pretty rotten. I wouldn't blame any supporters wanting whomever, as long as he goes.

When Hicks and Gillette were there, I was happy to see any link. Now with FSG, and their generally decent ownership, I'm happy they didn't go down the rabbit hole.

There is something to say about certain clubs ethos that wouldn't mesh with certain ownership groups. United would fit right in with a billionaire oil guy, where I don't think a club like Newcastle really do.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
They have always had more money than pretty much everyone. They've basically spent like an oil club for years. They've over looked some pretty rotten owners. It would mean they're back to winning everything (or at least a chance at it).

I'm sure it's a bit easier for their club to stomach it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't have a problem with the way anyone becomes a fan of a certain team as long as they stay true to that team and don't flip flop depending on how the team is doing, or who's in the spotlight, etc.

Though at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. If that makes people happy let it be so as long as they're not hurting anyone else.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
They have always had more money than pretty much everyone. They've basically spent like an oil club for years. They've over looked some pretty rotten owners. It would mean they're back to winning everything (or at least a chance at it).

I'm sure it's a bit easier for their club to stomach it.

If you started following the PL in the past 5 years, sure.

If you look at the PL prior to Ashley (2007 I think) and Glazer's (2005) takeovers, the spending wasn't all that different btw the two clubs. Nothing like today. That's not a slight on either club.

Among both fan bases you'd find people that would love the blank check, and those who hate it. And I would suspect that local fans would hate it more, and international fans would love it more. In my experience, in going to Manchester a couple times and being on facebook fan groups that are largely localized, the fans overwhelmingly hate the Glazers and the commercialization of the club.

Something we have to keep in mind here is that our NA experience/attachment to clubs is often very different than localized fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad