Post-Game Talk: Prelude to a Rental: The Aftermath of the Stadium Series Debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
I love this team. I want the Avs to win. With whatever personnel.

#Duchene4Laine

Much jest is had.

But seriously.

Last edited:

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
e556af2d59ed9c8665e17739bc38db9f.jpg

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Frustrating to say the least. Was really hoping to brag to all my PA friends that the Avs won their first outdoor game. Oh well, I've seen both Pitt and Philly lose outdoor games, I'll join the club :(

Avs44

May 16, 2011
No rentals please. Id rather sell a rental than buy one.

Sorry Iggy, looking at you.

Yep, don't buy. Don't buy unless it's someone who is part of the plan for the next 3+ years (and even then I'd rather not, since deadline prices always seem high). I would love to see a few guys sold (if they're even moveable, guys like Redmond and Tangs), but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
Yep, don't buy. Don't buy unless it's someone who is part of the plan for the next 3+ years (and even then I'd rather not, since deadline prices always seem high). I would love to see a few guys sold (if they're even moveable, guys like Redmond and Tangs), but unfortunately I don't see that happening.

Not to bring up Philly hockey again, though I am, but Tangs to me is becoming the Avs version of Vinny. Good god I'm glad he doesn't have a ridiculous contract.

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Can we not all just appreciate how the fake ass cotton snow got tossed around like Palushaj. Also did anyone see where JR got burned by a little kid telling him that he needed to hit the gym?

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
There's a lot more to it if you want to talk about support. The fact that everyone and their dog has moved here, that's a huge factor in the arena getting invaded. I've also correlated the Avs and Nuggets attendance as inverses of each other, the local fanbase chooses which one to support at any given time, the Avs are actually winning the battle right now. I totally agree on the "if you build it they will come" principle but the constant reminiscing on the glory years has to Fing stop one of these days. The alumni game was fantastic and all that, the 20th anniversary and all that I get it but put it away for a LONG while now. That's not helping anyone. Not the team, not the fanbase, not the attendance, nobody. I dont get how this isn't an obvious issue.

The nostalgia is just one of those realities of life that isn't going away. Those teams were great to watch. They were. Can't erase that from our memories. This is sort of an apples to oranges counter example but the Broncos did the same thing the Avs did this year in honoring the 1997 team before the Green Bay game. The nostalgia didn't hold the team back. It's true, the Broncos have the most deep rooted fan support in this town, but it's also true that the franchise has largely held up its end of the bargain for the past 40 years (8 Super Bowls, 6 losing seasons).

Is there any professional sports team that's had glory years that doesn't honor and wax nostalgia over them? I can't see the Avs bucking that trend especially given they are run and coached by players from the glory years. The Broncos incidentally, are in the exact same position. It's only an issue for the Avs because they haven't had as much success in recent years.

BTW, this team is still in a playoff position, and one strong playoff run changes everything. That's what it's going to take, not throwing a wet rag on nostalgia or anything else. That would actually be monumentally larger than winning a game in front of 50,000 fans, but it's still disappointing for the team to lay an egg on an occasion like this.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
To avoid any potential hyperbolization I'll just say that I'm disgusted with this team more than I have been in quite some time...and I wasn't even one of the many who shelled out hundreds of dollars to watch ants on ice.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Let's get it all out of our systems, shall we?

*Deep Breath*

Fire Roy, fire Sakic, and sell every player on this team for picks and prospects! Worst team in the history of the NHL!!!!

There, that's better.

:pb:

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
To avoid any potential hyperbolization I'll just say that I'm disgusted with this team more than I have been in quite some time...and I wasn't even one of the many who shelled out hundreds of dollars to watch ants on ice.
I had a great time, even if they lost. Sorry that you weren't able to experience it.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Won't be rid of the nostalgia shadow if they keep hiring guys to lead the organization from that era. I mean, they will all be dead 50 years from now, but otherwise, it will linger.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The nostalgia is just one of those realities of life that isn't going away. Those teams were great to watch. They were. Can't erase that from our memories. This is sort of an apples to oranges counter example but the Broncos did the same thing the Avs did this year in honoring the 1997 team before the Green Bay game. The nostalgia didn't hold the team back. It's true, the Broncos have the most deep rooted fan support in this town, but it's also true that the franchise has largely held up its end of the bargain for the past 40 years (8 Super Bowls, 6 losing seasons).

Is there any professional sports team that's had glory years that doesn't honor and wax nostalgia over them? I can't see the Avs bucking that trend especially given they are run and coached by players from the glory years. The Broncos incidentally, are in the exact same position. It's only an issue for the Avs because they haven't had as much success in recent years.

BTW, this team is still in a playoff position, and one strong playoff run changes everything. That's what it's going to take, not throwing a wet rag on nostalgia or anything else. That would actually be monumentally larger than winning a game in front of 50,000 fans, but it's still disappointing for the team to lay an egg on an occasion like this.

Yes they honored that team and how long did it last, 5 minutes? Was it on the news for weeks that they were going to do it too? There's nothing wrong with history, it should be honored and respected but there's a difference in how that's handled vs to pinpoint a very specific event in a team's history and group of people and making it a focal point. Yes it's up to this group to cement their own era and generation, bring this org and town a championship and earn their spot with the legends. But they also have to be given the opportunity to get from out of the shadow as well. How many people said the alumni game was what really mattered this weekend? I constantly overheard people who were like "oh well, at least Sakic still has it". You don't think that effects the players, that they don't hear stuff like that too, that to a large majority of the fanbase they'd rather watch reruns of the Cup wins than see the team win a regular season game. Duchene even said that he feels the pressure of measuring up. It's a factor. If y'all want to say that's nonsense then that's fine but when things keep coming up like why can't this team focus mentally or progress or why does it seem like this org is in a perpetual losing rut that they can't get out of then it should be a consideration.

And yes it's true they've brought it on themselves being such an insular organization and having those guys run the team. We don't know if it will be detrimental or no, might be.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Won't be rid of the nostalgia shadow if they keep hiring guys to lead the organization from that era. I mean, they will all be dead 50 years from now, but otherwise, it will linger.

The problem is the nostalgia shadow isn't necessarily bad. The Denver Broncos just won the Super Bowl with an ex-HoF quarterback as President and ex-Backup QB as Coach.

Maybe it just comes down to the fact that Roy and Sakic aren't as good at their jobs as we hoped. :cry:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The problem is the nostalgia shadow isn't necessarily bad. The Denver Broncos just won the Super Bowl with an ex-HoF quarterback as President and ex-Backup QB as Coach.

Maybe it just comes down to the fact that Roy and Sakic aren't as good at their jobs as we hoped. :cry:

I also do not believe it is a major problem for the team, but it seems to be an obvious problem to others and is worth considering.

I do think it can be a factor for guys like Duchene who grew up as a huge fan of that successful group. I can see how he would place added pressure on himself to lead this team back to that level of success.

As a whole though, I don't think it weighs on the team too much.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

How many times were the super bowl teams brought up and showcased? Were there videos of the helicopter at every home game? I'd say it was pretty obvious the difference between how the org handled it. Didn't they say the first thing they did after Shanahan was fired was take down all the super bowl photos at Dove Valley.

But I get it, I'm the on,y one who thinks this is important. I won't keep harping on it and y'all don't have to keep telling me how wrong I am. I guess we should be glad the legends give the team any attention at all.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013

A majority of teams do this in major league sports. Maybe they're on to something?

Roykic have made some bad moves, don't get me wrong, but they've made some great moves too. Don't let the bad skew your perception, just as you don't let the good do the same. IMO, their good moves outweigh the bad.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A majority of teams do this in major league sports. Maybe they're on to something?

Roykic have made some bad moves, don't get me wrong, but they've made some great moves too. Don't let the bad skew your perception, just as you don't let the good do the same. IMO, their good moves outweigh the bad.

I think the good have outweighed the bad so far. Lets hope it stays that way.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A majority of teams do this in major league sports does this. Maybe they're on to something?

Roykic have made some bad moves, don't get me wrong, but they've made some great moves too. Don't let the bad skew your perception, just as you don't let to good do the same. IMO, their good moves outweigh the bad.

I still have faith in Sakic. Maybe not so much Roy as a coach, but Sakic as a GM has made me have faith that in a few years we will be Cup contenders. We just need to stay the course and ride it out a little while longer while the last pieces come into place. The rest is up to the team and Roy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad