Post-Game Talk: Prelude to a Rental: The Aftermath of the Stadium Series Debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Might not be the correct thread to talk about it. But considering there is no Drouin splash move that requires our first. What does everyone think of someone like Vitali Abramov to the Avs in the draft? Fills a very nice RW spot down the line and has been tearing it up in the Q.

I see the problems being that Russians seem to be a new thing to the Avs (Varly aside) and he seems a bit small. Maybe not a Roy kind of guy in that regard.

He looks super talented though.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I think the good have outweighed the bad so far. Lets hope it stays that way.

Fooled me with your avatar lmao!

Yes, I think the good has outweighed the bad by a longshot. Do they have bad moves? Yes, every GM swings and misses. But Roykics hits have been much better than their misses. Beauch is great, Soda is great, Comeau does his job, Matthias looks like he fits on that line (too early to judge), Gormley is good D depth, especially since Elliot was going nowhere in this organization. Let's not even mention Grigs, Zads and Compher. ALL of which look to contribute sooner rather than later if not contributing already.

Berra was a 50/50. Sometimes you gotta take that risk, and it's great Pickard overtook him. Stuart was bad. They learned from that. Iggy was again, 50/50, guy scored 29 goals last year and the guy is on pace for what, 25 or so this year? For a team that struggles scoring goals, that's huge.

Tanguay for Jones? Can't really believe anyone is gonna complain about that. SOB? lol. Not even gonna touch on that.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
How many times were the super bowl teams brought up and showcased? Were there videos of the helicopter at every home game? I'd say it was pretty obvious the difference between how the org handled it. Didn't they say the first thing they did after Shanahan was fired was take down all the super bowl photos at Dove Valley.

But I get it, I'm the on,y one who thinks this is important. I won't keep harping on it and y'all don't have to keep telling me how wrong I am. I guess we should be glad the legends give the team any attention at all.

I don't think people think you are wrong, just that they (we) differ in opinion on the impact.

Perhaps it would be more fair to judge how much tribute was paid at the Broncos 50th season, or their upcoming 60th.

That being said, if the Avs are still banging out the nostalgia videos next season I will be converting further to your side of the debate for sure.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I don't think people think you are wrong, just that they (we) differ in opinion on the impact.

Perhaps it would be more fair to judge how much tribute was paid at the Broncos 50th season, or their upcoming 60th.

That being said, if the Avs are still banging out the nostalgia videos next season I will be converting further to your side of the debate for sure.

Sorry guys/gals, in America football (American) >>>>> hockey every single time. Especially with big football states. Personally, I hate football, so boring, but it is what it is.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Yes they honored that team and how long did it last, 5 minutes? Was it on the news for weeks that they were going to do it too? There's nothing wrong with history, it should be honored and respected but there's a difference in how that's handled vs to pinpoint a very specific event in a team's history and group of people and making it a focal point. Yes it's up to this group to cement their own era and generation, bring this org and town a championship and earn their spot with the legends. But they also have to be given the opportunity to get from out of the shadow as well. How many people said the alumni game was what really mattered this weekend? I constantly overheard people who were like "oh well, at least Sakic still has it". You don't think that effects the players, that they don't hear stuff like that too, that to a large majority of the fanbase they'd rather watch reruns of the Cup wins than see the team win a regular season game. Duchene even said that he feels the pressure of measuring up. It's a factor. If y'all want to say that's nonsense then that's fine but when things keep coming up like why can't this team focus mentally or progress or why does it seem like this org is in a perpetual losing rut that they can't get out of then it should be a consideration.

And yes it's true they've brought it on themselves being such an insular organization and having those guys run the team. We don't know if it will be detrimental or no, might be.

You have a point that they're probably overdoing it. I'm skeptical that it's been a major factor in the team's performance. Nonetheless, I'd be on board with your proposal for limiting the nostalgia. Not removing it entirely, but limiting it? Sure. Certainly it couldn't hurt. But they're not the only ones having an alumni game and a 20th Anniversary celebration. And that's only happening this year... was all that a factor last year or the lottery years? I don't think it made much of a difference that Joe Sacco and Tony Granato didn't have long histories with the team.

That said, it certainly will be detrimental to have Sakic and Roy on the team if they aren't up for the job. I think the jury is still out. They definitely have a lot of improving to do. And they are going to have a lot of chances to do it.

This team hasn't won a playoff series since 2008. The last three playoff series they did win they followed it up by being swept or getting down 3-0 in the 2nd round. You gotta go all the way back to the heydey of the glory years to find better playoff success.

But hey, even if I'm skeptical I wouldn't discount the psychological factors. They can rebrand the team, new logos and uniforms, whatever, to distance themselves from the old guard and start anew. Why not? But it's going to take a lot more than that to achieve playoff success.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem is the nostalgia shadow isn't necessarily bad. The Denver Broncos just won the Super Bowl with an ex-HoF quarterback as President and ex-Backup QB as Coach.

Maybe it just comes down to the fact that Roy and Sakic aren't as good at their jobs as we hoped. :cry:

I don't think we can compare throwball to hockey, the Stupid Bowl is extremely easy to win, especially if you're a good team. Three wins is like all you need, that very high winning probability is what makes it easy. Hockey is 4 series potentially reaching 7 games each, a game every other night against a team that will do everything it can to win. Just look at the Kings last Cup, I think they set an NHL record with the amount of games it took to win. Plus they might have set another record in the amount of 7 games it took to get to the Finals. Don't quote me on the second point, it might have been a team record or a record that wasn't broken in like 40 years.

I don't follow throwball, but didn't the Broncos suck for like 3-5 seasons? I remember when they had that McSomething coach and Teebow, they drafted like top 5 or 10 for three straight seasons or something (and majority of those were defenders or yeah).

As back on the subject, I am actually going to agree with Tigre. I don't think the alumni game jinxed the Avs, but clearly some parts of the Avs organization and perhaps 99.9% of the metro area coverage/media still are living in those glory days. I also don't think Avs current team is effected by it, them losing games because the team lacks talent or mental fortitude is the main reason...not because they're living in the shadow of those years trying to replicate that success. Majority of my Avs friends are too hardcore of hockey fans to talk about the past Cups, but some of the older generation Avs fans, ESPECIALLY the Colorado casual fanbase only talks about it. In growing the sport, winning is the best receipt for success.

Actually winning is the best chemistry for success in North American sports. Look at the Rockies stadium now compared to just a year after they went to the World Series. Look at the Nuggets, lol. Even some of the people here who were Bronco fans before Avs fans thought that if McSomthing was still the coach, they would have had empty stadiums as well. My argument is that this Avs team doesn't really deserve any praise because they haven't won anything yet, but certain top officials including a big chuck of the fanbase are still clawing to bring up the glory days...and it's far too often than not.

Like do you know how many times I had to watch the Roy vs Red Wing Goalers scene this weekend? Had to be in the upper 50s for a two day period.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Might not be the correct thread to talk about it. But considering there is no Drouin splash move that requires our first. What does everyone think of someone like Vitali Abramov to the Avs in the draft? Fills a very nice RW spot down the line and has been tearing it up in the Q.

I see the problems being that Russians seem to be a new thing to the Avs (Varly aside) and he seems a bit small. Maybe not a Roy kind of guy in that regard.

They'll never draft him. The 3 forwards in the Q to watch are Dubois, Gauthier and Laberge. Dubois would require a top 5 pick though.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
They'll never draft him. The 3 forwards in the Q to watch are Dubois, Gauthier and Laberge. Dubois would require a top 5 pick though.

You think Laberge is going to be taken in the first?

Edit: Watching the CHL Prospects game. Laberge seemed have a pretty good game.

Last edited:

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
I don't think we can compare throwball to hockey, the Stupid Bowl is extremely easy to win, especially if you're a good team. Three wins is like all you need, that very high winning probability is what makes it easy. Hockey is 4 series potentially reaching 7 games each, a game every other night against a team that will do everything it can to win. Just look at the Kings last Cup, I think they set an NHL record with the amount of games it took to win. Plus they might have set another record in the amount of 7 games it took to get to the Finals. Don't quote me on the second point, it might have been a team record or a record that wasn't broken in like 40 years.

I don't follow throwball, but didn't the Broncos suck for like 3-5 seasons? I remember when they had that McSomething coach and Teebow, they drafted like top 5 or 10 for three straight seasons or something (and majority of those were defenders or yeah).

As back on the subject, I am actually going to agree with Tigre. I don't think the alumni game jinxed the Avs, but clearly some parts of the Avs organization and perhaps 99.9% of the metro area coverage/media still are living in those glory days. I also don't think Avs current team is effected by it, them losing games because the team lacks talent or mental fortitude is the main reason...not because they're living in the shadow of those years trying to replicate that success. Majority of my Avs friends are too hardcore of hockey fans to talk about the past Cups, but some of the older generation Avs fans, ESPECIALLY the Colorado casual fanbase only talks about it. In growing the sport, winning is the best receipt for success.

Actually winning is the best chemistry for success in North American sports. Look at the Rockies stadium now compared to just a year after they went to the World Series. Look at the Nuggets, lol. Even some of the people here who were Bronco fans before Avs fans thought that if McSomthing was still the coach, they would have had empty stadiums as well. My argument is that this Avs team doesn't really deserve any praise because they haven't won anything yet, but certain top officials including a big chuck of the fanbase are still clawing to bring up the glory days...and it's far too often than not.

Like do you know how many times I had to watch the Roy vs Red Wing Goalers scene this weekend? Had to be in the upper 50s for a two day period.

Do you really need be a jerk when you are talking about the Broncos and/or Football?

Stinks that the Avs lost tonight but it was still a fantastic weekend here in town. I had a total blast.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I like Abramov, he's a little spark plug, but not an Avs type player. Plus I don't think he should go 10-15 either.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Do you really need be a jerk when you are talking about the Broncos and/or Football?

Stinks that the Avs lost tonight but it was still a fantastic weekend here in town. I had a total blast.

I've posted this way since 2010, surprised you're bringing it up six years later since I have never changed.

You can tell me what information I am wrong in, but if I gave you a list of sports leagues with some parity (which cuts out Bundesliga and La Liga), and asked you which championship was the easiest, the correct answer would be NFL. The Patriots dynasty is a perfect example of how easy it is to win it when you're a good team.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003

You don't like football, which is fine, but the opinions you are expressing are laughably stupid and many are simply factually incorrect. For one it's physically impossible to play more games than they do and winning a Super Bowl is NOT easy. The Broncos drafted in the top 10 once in that five year stretch of "sucking" (which only consisted of two of the six losing seasons they had in 40 years). With that top 10 pick they drafted an eventual Super Bowl MVP incidentally. They've drafted in the top 10 three times in 40 years, for what it's worth. The Avs have drafted in the top 5 three times in the last six years.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I've posted this way since 2010, surprised you're bringing it up six years later since I have never changed.

You can tell me what information I am wrong in, but if I gave you a list of sports leagues with some parity (which cuts out Bundesliga and La Liga), and asked you which championship was the easiest, the correct answer would be NFL. The Patriots dynasty is a perfect example of how easy it is to win it when you're a good team.

The Patriots won 4 Super Bowls in 14 years. The Detroit Red Wings won 4 Stanley Cups in 11 years. Must have been easier in the NHL by that sterling logic.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
yep, Billington should have got the start tonight he would have been better than Varly

also too bad we couldn't take penalty shots instead of PPs like last night since we were better without having an extra skater all game

last night was all smiles, tonight I almost couldn't be disappointed because we just aren't that good and once again continue to bury talent in the A that can make us better

Can we not all just appreciate how the fake ass cotton snow got tossed around like Palushaj. Also did anyone see where JR got burned by a little kid telling him that he needed to hit the gym?

bet anything that line was rehersed and fed to the kid by JR before they put a camera on him

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Some posters are so doom and gloom that it is hilarious. Yes it suck that the Avs lost, but lets not get carried away here they are a bubble team nothing more.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Some posters are so doom and gloom that it is hilarious. Yes it suck that the Avs lost, but lets not get carried away here they are a bubble team nothing more.

That is not the point these posters are trying to make.
It's not losing.
It's losing in a pathetic fashion in front of 50k fans, and gives the casuals fans a lot of reasons not to come to the can. That again leads to away fans continuing being louder than home fans at the Pepsi Center and half-filled arenas.
This was the opportune moment to show Coloradans to come and watch and cheer for the playoff push. And the team gave us, well, that pile of dung.

I'm fine, and most here are fine if they lose, but show urgency, passion and will to win.
To lose like that is completely unacceptable. Especially after that good 1st period.

Last edited:

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
That is not the point these posters are trying to make.
It's not losing.
It's losing in a pathetic fashion in front of 50k fans, and gives the casuals fans a lot of reasons not to come to the can. That again leads to away fans continuing being louder than home fans at the Pepsi Center and half-filled arenas.
This was the opportune moment to show Coloradans to come and watch and cheer for the playoff push. And the team gave us, well, that pile of dung.

I'm fine, and most here are fine if they lose, but show urgency, passion and will to win.
To lose like that is completely unacceptable. Especially after that good 1st period.

I get that and I mostly agree. However, this is not a well built team at the moment. There are holes in almost every line or pairing, add to that the fact that EJ and Varly are having subpar years and it should come as no surprise that we lost the game. Does anyone honestly think that the players did not want to win? Its a competitive league, Chicago got spanked by Minnesota outdoors. I personally just think that Detroit are a better team this year and they showed it today and even in the previous game that we undeservedly won. Until the Avs improve their roster they will lose their fare share of games whether the players show up or not. Instead of being upset about the loss I rather acknowledge who the better team was and face the fact that the Avs are a work in progress.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
I get that and I mostly agree. However, this is not a well built team at the moment. There are holes in almost every line or pairing, add to that the fact that EJ and Varly are having subpar years and it should come as no surprise that we lost the game. Does anyone honestly think that the players did not want to win? Its a competitive league, Chicago got spanked by Minnesota outdoors. I personally just think that Detroit are a better team this year and they showed it today and even in the previous game that we undeservedly won. Until the Avs improve their roster they will lose their fare share of games whether the players show up or not. Instead of being upset about the loss I rather acknowledge who the better team was and face the fact that the Avs are a work in progress.

I can understand that. And yes, while I believe the Avs are at most a bubble team and that Detroit are marginally better than us on paper, I still expect the team to battle. Last night wasn't a battle. It was a stroll and it didn't seem to mind them that they lost in front of that crowd.

DUHockey

Dec 15, 2015
With Martinsen out and Wagner gone looks like Skille is the new 5 minute man for Roy. Best thing that can happen here is they lose all the way in until Sakic has no choice but to fire the coach.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
well.. we need help.. and if you listen to Super Joe he DID NOT say he would not trade pics and prospects... he said not for a rental... I think we can get some good value from a multi player and actually be in the hunt for a 2nd or 3 round exit... heck who knows maybe the team in front of us all gets the flu.... just kidding

So...I hated losing last night.. and losing like that where we let weak ass goals in...

HATE last nights game. We should have owned every line exeipt their top line and dominated... no idea why this team thinks they need to play conservatively.......

So, I hope we show up Tuesday.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
-Could only watch the 3rd
-It was painful to watch, we barely touched the puck
-fake snow was beyond stupid, imagine if a player got hurt because of it:shakehead
-outdoor games are awful to watch on TV, I hope this gimmick goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad