GDT: Game 5 | Leafs @ Bruins | COME BACK BEGINS - WAKE UP EDITION | Tuesday, Apr. 30 7 p.m. EST | Leafs trail series 1-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
358342593-950101959556654-1921351549385382426-n-64a9aaf198ff4.jpg
241020120_559283822180678_3015304201599288613_n.jpg
I find it hilarious/wack that Quentin Tarantino wrote a part in a movie where she puts her foot in a characters mouth to take a shot of tequila, And Quentin casted himself as that character.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You make good points, but Leafs have tried everything to try to help the core guys. Changed players around them many times, changed coaches, etc. but it's not working. Rewarding Marner with an extension is the wrong move also. What has all the gotten us? One lousy division title in a covid year, and one playoff series victory so far. All those points are overrated. We can move him and actually get better as a team. You don't need to replace all that with his 11M to become a better overall team.
I'm not sticking up for the core, and agree that changes are needed.

But if my options are to lose a high value player for nothing, or keep him around and evaluate, it's not really a difficult decision - you don't lose these players for nothing and not regret it.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I hit a racoon coming back from Peterbrough on sunday. That racoon costing me 4grand of repairman cost

At least you haven't lost 4 grand because of a racoon while being a leafs fan

As a guy that works in insurance, did you put it through your insurance? would be responsible for whatever your deductible is but it would be classified as not at fault and wouldn't effect your rates moving forward

Reactions: fahad203

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
That’s nice, but you completely miss the point.

The instances where top paid players perform to their contact outweighs circumstances they do not. There is not a league wide ownership concern about contracts, so this would never come close to being of interest to the owners.

Not only are the owners not interested, the PA wouldn’t accept it either.

It’s just a complete disconnect from any reality, and the postings of someone currently angry at their underperforming team, and can’t see past that.
Yes, of course, your opinion is the be all and end all of "reality".

myleafs

May 25, 2021
When your team is 1-1 and you're always started to throw player under the bus, can you really expect something else?

leafs playoff success start with fan base whos right now is looking like 1 of worst fan base in the world. Bashing his own team unstead of support them, after people dont understand why home ice becoming an handicap unstead of a tool for leafs and why leafs lost like 12 of last 16 home game?

Did you see any leafs player actually having fun in playoff ? When you're only feeling the pressure with no pleasure on the ice, you've got the result coming with.
not its the fans fault again...:facepalm:.. heaven forbid we have expectations on the group that takes up half the cap, and, how much louder and into it do you need? Last game the crowd was about as loud as it gets in Toronto and the boys layed down and curled up like a shamed dog. Yea lets cheer that on. You sound like Keefe and Rielly....yea we played pretty good and tried our hardest....like wtaf?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
As a guy that works in insurance, did you put it through your insurance? would be responsible for whatever your deductible is but it would be classified as not at fault and wouldn't effect your rates moving forward
Thanks for the info. Will keep it mind

I have one way. So don't think I'll qualify. Unless I'm paying for the racoon damages

9Iron

Nov 25, 2009
I would expect that given all that has occurred, Marner would accept a very team friendly deal. If not, they should just cut ties IMO.

I'd give the chance of him taking a team friendly deal to be the same as the chance of a Leaf comeback in this series. So about 2.154328%.

Don't know what about Marner's character or past actions would ever make you think that...

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
This line of thinking is so ridiculous.

Whether you like Marner or not, just simply subtracting him means you now have lost:
  • A high production winger
  • A PP1 guy
  • A PK1 guy
  • A matchup guy
  • Someone who averages a lot of ice time every night
You now have $11M, which is nice, but you've also created 3 or 4 huge holes on your team that you aren't replacing with that $11M.

I'm all on board exploring different scenarios involving moving Marner, but I'm also only doing so if a massive high value piece is coming back in return (Ie. Tkachuk/Florida).

If that deal doesn't exist, you don't move him, try extending him on more of a discount, and re-evaluate your franchise and keep trying to make big moves.
3 or 4 holes?

you've created 1 hole. A hole who is really a negative.

See I don't CARE about Marner in the regular season. I care about what Marner is in the games that matter. In the games that matter, he is none of those things you've just listed.

Everyone has a cap, which means every summer there are people who have to be moved off of rosters because they can't fit cap wise. That's where we have to shop. Can't trade him because he has a NMC.

The only person we had leverage over that we could have gotten serious value back from was Willy. But you all didn't want to get rid of Willy. So ya. Now we just let Marner walk.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No doubt in my mind they play the best hockey the next 2 games and then no show game 7

True but that assumes we have no holes to begin with. This afraid to make changes attitude is why we’re here today.
I'm not afraid to make changes.

I'm afraid that you let Marner go for nothing, which sets you back as an organization for a very long time.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
I would expect that given all that has occurred, Marner would accept a very team friendly deal. If not, they should just cut ties IMO.
You don't just let a 99 point capable All-Star walk from your organization after giving him a sweet heart contract. That's just bad asset management. If anything you agree to let him work out a sign and trade and get back a major asset like the Tkachuck trade.

I prefer we kept him. There's room for growth.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Thanks for the info. Will keep it mind

I have one way. So don't think I'll qualify. Unless I'm paying for the racoon damages
ah shit yeh if you dont have collision/comprehensive or all perils coverage then unfortunately there wont be any coverage for the vehicle itself

Reactions: fahad203

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Just win tonight!

Then just win Thu at home.

Bos dealing with their own playoff demons.
Are they though?

Teams come back from 3-1 deficits all the time to at least force a 7th game. I get that most people have given up on this team, but I think these guys will rally and win tonight with strong performances from Woll and Domi (with the latter cementing his status as fan favourite).
Im shocked I tell ya ...shocked

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
3 or 4 holes?

you've created 1 hole. A hole who is really a negative.

See I don't CARE about Marner in the regular season. I care about what Marner is in the games that matter. In the games that matter, he is none of those things you've just listed.

Everyone has a cap, which means every summer there are people who have to be moved off of rosters because they can't fit cap wise. That's where we have to shop. Can't trade him because he has a NMC.

The only person we had leverage over that we could have gotten serious value back from was Willy. But you all didn't want to get rid of Willy. So ya. Now we just let Marner walk.
That's all fine.

But it's totally wrong.

You've created multiple holes by removing one player. It's also not how you successfully build winning teams.

As long as you're comfortable acknowledging that great teams don't let superstars just walk away, and end up coming out ahead, we can move on.

If you can't acknowledge that, then you're admitting to yourself and everyone else that you're just spewing emotional rants - which is fair and therapeutic, but just not conducive to good team building strategy.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

mogs

Jan 11, 2007
Jasper AB
I'm about to fly to Portland for a concert, the game will be on at 4pm local time. I'll be able to catch most of it before the show. I hope they make it hard for me to leave. I've been pretty apathetic this playoffs. Outside of Matthews in game 2, there's been legitimately nothing to cheer about. No big goals, no big saves, no momentum changing hits, no one selling out to block shots, no one giving it all on a back check, no clutch goals, no one eating cross checks to get in Swayman's face. Not even an exciting odd man rush. This is why we're all mad. Not a single moment to get you out of your seat and cheering. But I'm still a fan, I want them to win.

But no matter what, I'm seeing a sick band tonight and at least they will put on a great show, if the Leafs don't.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Win in 7 or end the suffering with a blowout after the first period so I can stop watching please.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
That's all fine.

But it's totally wrong.

You've created multiple holes by removing one player. It's also not how you successfully build winning teams.

As long as you're comfortable acknowledging that great teams don't let superstars just walk away, and end up coming out ahead, we can move on.

If you can't acknowledge that, then you're admitting to yourself and everyone else that you're just spewing emotional rants - which is fair and therapeutic, but just not conducive to good team building strategy.
Probably shouldn't give them NTC in their contracts then, huh?

But no. There are no "multiple holes" I just explained this to you. He is not any of those things you've just listed in the playoffs. He is actually a negative. When he is on the ice, and plays lots of minutes you get a timid, parameter player whom is easily bullied off the puck.

And you are paying 11M for that negative.

In the playoffs he doesn't get points. He doesn't score goals. He's not good at defensively and he is a parameter player in the o-zone and easily nullified.

He is NONE of the things you've listed.

Reactions: myleafs

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'm not sticking up for the core, and agree that changes are needed.

But if my options are to lose a high value player for nothing, or keep him around and evaluate, it's not really a difficult decision - you don't lose these players for nothing and not regret it.

I appreciate your viewpoint. Whatever happens it’s out of our control, so let’s just see. We can discuss all that after this season is over. For now, I really really want to win tonight.

Reactions: Tak7

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Probably shouldn't give them NTC in their contracts then, huh?

But no. There are no "multiple holes" I just explained this to you. He is not any of those things you've just listed in the playoffs. He is actually a negative. When he is on the ice, and plays lots of minutes you get a timid, parameter player whom is easily bullied off the puck.

And you are paying 11M for that negative.

In the playoffs he doesn't get points. He doesn't score goals. He's not good at defensively and he is a parameter player in the o-zone and easily nullified.

He is NONE of the things you've listed.
If you took him off the team, 11 days ago before game 1, does the series change in anyway for the better?

Feel free to take your time answering that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad