GDT: Preds vs Oilers Nov 27th (6PM MST/SN360) Happy US Turkey Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Marincin is the "can do no wrong" darling of vocal fans on twitter and around here.

Schultz has been bad long enough that finally sending him to the press box feels more like putting down a sick dog than actually achieving something meaningful.

No this is not even remotely correct. Marincin is far from can do no wrong by most fans. Especially the ones who are wondering whey he is getting sat.

Here is what we see. Players that are 100% for sure playing worse than him that are getting free passes on a regular basis and he is getting sat.

Come back to me an lecture us Marincin darlings after guys like Ferentz, Petry and Nikitn spend multiple games in the press box.

It's a matter of fair accountability and the the fact that oilers for years and years will talk about it but never really do it. Some players are sacred cows within the Oilers and the fans would not be upset at Marincin getting sat on his butt if other just as if nor more than deserving vets also rode the pine. That is the issue.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
http://www.coppernblue.com/2014/11/27/7299797/marincin-schultz-healthy-scratch-predators

This chart shows all NHL defensemen with 9 games played and 15 minutes of even strength time on ice per game in 2014, so players we would call regular defensemen. Notable about this chart?

Martin Marincin has the highest qualcomp in the group.

But he's taking a healthy scratch. Is there no role for Marincin between "hardest minutes in the league" and "press box"?

That's pretty interesting...and weird.

Also pretty funny Eakins is scratching Schultz just days after Mark Spector gave him that question about limiting Schultz' minutes. The Oilers are always the last to understand when there is a problem and what should be done. Hilarious.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You're confusing two things.

Moral victories
and
Corsi

That said, people are forgetting that 5v5 play, per se, is not the problem.

The three biggest problems are a) an anemic power play, b) an unreliable defensive system that doesn't protect the low slot, and c) bad goaltending.

Corsi, on its own (along with fenwick), is fairly reliable at determining the standings. The Oilers' problems are listed above, and also over represented by the fact that their schedule has been both home-heavy and also against middling or weaker opponents thus far.

So they're still likely at about low-mid 20s in Corsi/Fenwick, and they have 3 major issues which aren't reflected in their corsi/fenwick levels.

I suspect that Dellow is working his ass off to figure out a remedy for that d-zone, low slot coverage hole. But what it boils down to is that Eakins' 5v5 offensive scheme is about the only issue his coaching has improved. And even then, there's a strong argument to be made that personnel upgrades have made that difference most palpable more than any coaching has.

If that is Dellow's job then wtf do we have a coaching staff for? We may as well name Dellow president, GM, head coach, associate coach, assistant coach, etc.

That is clearly a coaching issue as is the PP.

Mike Fisher is back tonight and from morning skate it looks like Cullen will be sitting (for some reason), so hey at least that won't happen.

Trade him to us please!

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Schultz to have a 30min night.

Eberle double shifted when were down 2 after the first 5 min.

You can take it to the bank.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
No this is not even remotely correct. Marincin is far from can do no wrong by most fans. Especially the ones who are wondering whey he is getting sat.

Here is what we see. Players that are 100% for sure playing worse than him that are getting free passes on a regular basis and he is getting sat.

Come back to me an lecture us Marincin darlings after guys like Ferentz, Petry and Nikitn spend multiple games in the press box.

It's a matter of fair accountability and the the fact that oilers for years and years will talk about it but never really do it. Some players are sacred cows within the Oilers and the fans would not be upset at Marincin getting sat on his butt if other just as if nor more than deserving vets also rode the pine. That is the issue.

You can't sit all the Dmen who have been screwing up because there wouldn't be enough Dmen to dress for the game.

All I see over and over again is complaining about how hard done by Marincin is because he keeps getting shuttled back and forth between the pressbox and the ice. But here's the thing, I'd bet the Oilers are still trying to make Marincin a better player. They probably still hold out hope that he's going to be become a better player in the future. Those other three guys? Petry is playing out the string before he's traded at the deadline, he's a write off. Ference is what he is, he's not going to magically get better if you bench him. Nitikin? Same as Ference, a **** player who is what he is.

So yeah, I suppose the Oilers could do some weird carousel of benchings with this D. Just constantly rotate between benching Ference, Petry, Nitikin, Schultz and Marincin. But the truth of the matter is there's only one player in that group I believe has any shot of being a difference maker for the Oilers and that's Marincin. The rest are garbage. So why not take a more traditional development approach to the one player that looks like an asset, send him to the PB when he's making mistakes and tell him "look, we recognize this seems weird, but we're doing this because he haven't given up on you. You're making mistakes, we want you to learn, we want you to develop. Go upstairs, watch and make notes. You'll be back in later this week."

Or you know, we could just feed him to the wolves like you suggest. Just keep him out there until he's lost all confidence and he needs to be traded to regain his form.

molsonmuscle360

Jan 25, 2009
Ft. McMurray Ab
I dunno if I'm even going to bother watching this tonight. Tomorrow is my 31st birthday, and in my fairly short lifetime, the Oilers have had about 8 years of great success, 8 years of being absolutely awful, and 15 years of being mediocre as hell. Kinda sounds like my life in a nutshell lol

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So Schultz and Marincin are sitting? How does that exactly help the team win?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No reason to sit Marincin. He has been one of our better D over the last 3-4 games. Can point to ice time, but that's just Eakins doing his usual thing not managing D ice time properly. I guess we want some "toughness" against Nashville. It's not gonna help.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I'm amazed at how much heated debate goes on about how the deck chairs are arranged on the Titanic.

Last edited:

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
There is a real disconnect between what kind of team the coaches and apparently GM want to ice and the actual players they have.... They want a hard working gritty veteran team but they don't have a lot of players like that. They hired a coach who wants to preach a tight defensive limited offense system but they keep bringing in players whose primary attribute is offense. Time to figure out what kind of team they want and make the changes that get everyone on the same page. Logic says it's easier to find a coach to fit the group of players than to try and change out all the players but there seems to be an unwillingness to do that. If they're committed to Hall and RNH and Eberle and Schultz and the ilk then get someone to come up with a system around them rather than trying to turn them into something they're not.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
You can't sit all the Dmen who have been screwing up because there wouldn't be enough Dmen to dress for the game.

All I see over and over again is complaining about how hard done by Marincin is because he keeps getting shuttled back and forth between the pressbox and the ice. But here's the thing, I'd bet the Oilers are still trying to make Marincin a better player. They probably still hold out hope that he's going to be become a better player in the future. Those other three guys? Petry is playing out the string before he's traded at the deadline, he's a write off. Ference is what he is, he's not going to magically get better if you bench him. Nitikin? Same as Ference, a **** player who is what he is.

So yeah, I suppose the Oilers could do some weird carousel of benchings with this D. Just constantly rotate between benching Ference, Petry, Nitikin, Schultz and Marincin. But the truth of the matter is there's only one player in that group I believe has any shot of being a difference maker for the Oilers and that's Marincin. The rest are garbage. So why not take a more traditional development approach to the one player that looks like an asset, send him to the PB when he's making mistakes and tell him "look, we recognize this seems weird, but we're doing this because he haven't given up on you. You're making mistakes, we want you to learn, we want you to develop. Go upstairs, watch and make notes. You'll be back in later this week."

Or you know, we could just feed him to the wolves like you suggest. Just keep him out there until he's lost all confidence and he needs to be traded to regain his form.

You are making a lot of excuses and did not address my point at all. Marincin overall has probably been the most effective guy on the team on the back end since he got called up. He like all others have bad games. He is getting sat while others still play and saying things like Ferentz is what he is does not make up for the fact that he is a worse player on the whole than Marincin.

This us the same thing as Yakupov last year, sit him, at times deserved at other times sit him while 1/2 dozen other bad if not worst offenders play on.

The object of the game is to play your best players, bnot diddle around and play guys just because they were a gms latest pick up or because the guy wears a C.

Gambl0r83*

@TSNRyanRishaug: Justin Schultz will likely be a healthy scratch today on the heels of his benching last game.

@TSNRyanRishaug: Oscar Klefbom will draw in tonight against Preds.

@TSNRyanRishaug: Eakins likely to send a message today healthy scratching Justin Schultz and Martin Marincin. Aulie/ Klefbom would come in. See shortly.

We are getting our first win in 8 games tonight

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
You are making a lot of excuses and did not address my point at all. Marincin overall has probably been the most effective guy on the team on the back end since he got called up. He like all others have bad games. He is getting sat while others still play and saying things like Ferentz is what he is does not make up for the fact that he is a worse player on the whole than Marincin.

This us the same thing as Yakupov last year, sit him, at times deserved at other times sit him while 1/2 dozen other bad if not worst offenders play on.

The object of the game is to play your best players, bnot diddle around and play guys just because they were a gms latest pick up or because the guy wears a C.

*throws hands up in the air*

Everything is wrong and bad and nothing makes sense and Marincin is getting screwed and everything is always going to be wrong and nothing makes me happy.

better?

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'd laugh if sitting Schultz leads to a win

Although a Aulie Ference top pairing is the best league wide.... Right?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It seems to me like some fans look at Marincin and think they're seeing the Marty Marincin of last year, rather than what he currently is.

He's not been completely horrible, but on most night I see a player who doesn't play the game with nearly enough assertiveness. 10 shots on goal in 12 games is far too low for someone who is actually fairly adept at carrying the puck up ice.

I think the Oilers have been tougher on him this because they're looking for him to not sit back and be satisfied with an empty game, that he can be more than that.

Also, this is the last year where they can get Marincin some AHL development time without having him go through waivers, so they're taking advantage of that while they still can.

I don't think it's as simplistic as "they hate Marincin and are trying to screw him over just because".

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I've never been less excited for an Oilers game.

Thank God for video games, where I can beat things and pretend they're MacT and Lowe.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
So Eakins is back to playing Yakupov on the left wing again in an attempt to "try to find him more minutes"...

I thought we were done with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad