Confirmed with Link: Preds Sign Ribeiro (1Yr / $1.05 AAV)

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think this also means they feel that Forsberg will be in Milwaukee this year.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think this also means they feel that Forsberg will be in Milwaukee this year.

This is not a bad thing to me. We want him to be ready and he wants to play in the NHL, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is ready for it. I know we don't have the greatest track record with forwards, but we also haven't had the greatest prospect pool either.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Love, love, love this signing.

Ribs has his issues, but he's a legit top six center with a ton of skill, and a high-end playmaker. Should do wonders with Neal. Much better option than anyone we have currently and way better than Vinny L.

Wrong Box Legwand

Jul 29, 2013
Clune has been through the whole substance abuse thing and it's something that really hits home for him. I think if needed he could be of some help to Ribeiro too.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
This is not a bad thing to me. We want him to be ready and he wants to play in the NHL, but that doesn't necessarily mean he is ready for it. I know we don't have the greatest track record with forwards, but we also haven't had the greatest prospect pool either.

Yeah but the problem is with this signing and the potential Roy signing we have now essentially told him that he doesn't even have a chance to make it out of camp. That has to crush any confidence that he has. This applies to Beck as well. I'd say that Beck is part of a potential trade now.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
MIGHT be a steal. Careful look at his stats indicates last year was an aberration. Before that, he was almost a point-a-game dude. Hopefully the Preds have reviewed his med history and thats (now) OK. Last part is me partially speculating.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Even with Ribs' bad year last year, he would've been 3rd in points for our forwards. Man did we suck.

So basically what I am getting here is we have a move coming or Fisher is done for the year.

Wilson
Jarnkrok
Roy
Cullen
Ribs
Jokinen
Goose

All centers.

Montross

Askarov.
Oct 4, 2013

Ribs has his issues, but he's a legit top six center with a ton of skill, and a high-end playmaker. Should do wonders with Neal. Much better option than anyone we have currently and way better than Vinny L.

If that kills any Vinny stuff I am more than happy about it.

Also a shout out to Colin Fitts @fittsthw who called these signings yesterday.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
He's got some issues, but this is great bargain. Especially with Fisher's injury. Tootoo and Big Ern seemed to love it here. Hopefully Ribs finds some inner peace here and the Preds benefit.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN

I agree, and if he has issues waive or trade him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I can't complain too loudly, they are good singings, just sad to see the youth movement be put on hold. We have some really talented guys who need shots.

You gotta think Wilson is moved very shortly though don't you?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
and the Poile not wanting to contact FA's continues.

@Cellblock303 said:
Poile on Ribeiro: They called us thinking that it was a fit. They flew out here on their own dime. #Preds

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I can't complain too loudly, they are good singings, just sad to see the youth movement be put on hold. We have some really talented guys who need shots.

The talented guys can earn their spots then. There's no reason that a Jarnkrok, Forsberg, Beck, Sissons, or Watson, sufficiently motivated and putting a show on in camp, can't beat out a Bourque, Stalberg, or even a Roy. If they can't, then it's better that they're not on the roster this year.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
The talented guys can earn their spots then. There's no reason that a Jarnkrok, Forsberg, Beck, Sissons, or Watson, sufficiently motivated and putting a show on in camp, can't beat out a Bourque, Stalberg, or even a Roy. If they can't, then it's better that they're not on the roster this year.

Bingo. I think Stalberg and Borque could be packaged together for practically nothing to make room. I think both are easily replaceable.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

Agree with this completely. If we had thrown more money and years at guys like Roy and Ribeiro it would be completely different.

I want to see the young guys as much as anyone, but getting Roy and Ribeiro on 1 year deals for a combined $2 million?? I don't see much of a downside at all.......

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

I was thinking the same thing. Even with Poiles earlier statements about Wilson playing center this year I have the feeling that Lavi has squashed than and his time here is done.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
and the Poile not wanting to contact FA's continues.

:facepalm:

So it's surprising that Ribiero, a guy who was just bought out by a cash strapped team whose GM said it was for off-ice issues for which Ribiero was "seeking help", is making the calls himself to see if teams are interested?

You know what it'd be if Poile were calling Ribiero's camp? "Poile is desperate because he couldn't get anything done at free agency. He's calling guys with issues!"

Ribiero shows he wants to prove he can still hang in the NHL. Making calls to teams tells me that. Can we have one thing happen without it turning into a "Poile is ________!" debate?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
:facepalm:

So it's surprising that Ribiero, a guy who was just bought out by a cash strapped team whose GM said it was for off-ice issues for which Ribiero was "seeking help", is making the calls himself to see if teams are interested?

You know what it'd be if Poile were calling Ribiero's camp? "Poile is desperate because he couldn't get anything done at free agency. He's calling guys with issues!"

Ribiero shows he wants to prove he can still hang in the NHL. Making calls to teams tells me that. Can we have one thing happen without it turning into a "Poile is ________!" debate?

He didn't have to admit that Ribeiro contacted him.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
What is the big deal? People over blow every single little thing they can when it fits into their overall picture they want to paint of the guy, whether it's good or bad.

A player who was let go and many thought would be out of the NHL if he couldn't pull it together contacted a GM of a team who needed a center. They discussed it. They agreed to a one year, barely more than one million dollar contract because there is no risk involved. The player gets to try to show he can still hang and get a couple of more years. The GM gets a low risk/potentially high reward playmaking center to go with his newly acquired top line winger.

We're still dredging up crap from 7 years ago, and then supplementing that stale argument with this? Sorry, but that's just ridiculous to me.

The bottom line (and topic of discussion, mind you) is Poile is taking a risk on Ribiero, and Ribiero is trying to show he can still play. If it works out, it's a great move. If it doesn't, no harm-no foul. He's gone next year. If he shows he can play and the Preds are likely out of the post season by the deadline then we have a rather valuable piece to move.

tampa pred

Jul 8, 2014
Poile probably didn't contact him for the same reason that other GM's didn't. He didn't want to take the chance on damaged goods. Ribeiro contacted him and made his case. Polie must have liked what he heard.

I don't have a problem with how this went down.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Guess I don't know a whole lot about Ribs, other than a decent passer/playmaker.

Not that Fish would be a 1C on any other team, but would Ribs be an upgrade to Fish for us?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
As far as Ribs calling Poile, maybe he knows Poile has a reputation, as well as the organization, for helping guys turn their lives around or giving guys chances who are in the midst of turning them around, see Tootoo, McGrattan and Clune. For all the knocks we take as a franchise about this and that, this part of our franchise I'm extremely proud of. Not many teams do that because it's about winning but helping lives out is also a big thing that is lost in society. Good job Poile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad