TSN: Preds listening to offers on Saros.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Except Preds fans have been saying for dang near a year now that there is no discussion to be had anyways because it will take an overpayment based on the words of our GM.

There is absolutely no reason to discuss all of these deals involving lesser players and picks because the GM has already said he will just keep him if that is what he is being offered.

Askarov could be in play, but we also know what he wants roughly for him as well, basically a dynamic young forward prospect.

The whole point for Trotz is that he is essentially hanging raw meat over a pack of hungry wolves in the hopes someone gets desperate enough. If they don't he's ok with that too.

I think the only way that changes is if ownership tells him to burn it to the ground, but the odds of that happening are probably less than someone overpaying for either goalie.
No Preds fans were parroting Trotz with the whole we’re not trading him we’re re-signing him line. Now it comes out he’s listening to offers and now Preds fans are saying well of course he’s listening to offers. Next step is Preds accepting that once again they’ll become less competitive as the season wears on and the reality will be ownership doesn’t want to extend a 30 year old goalie to a big money long term deal especially with a 10-11 overall Russian netminder coming into his own. Saros will be dealt for an underwhelming return compared to what’s being thrown around here and then we’ll all get to hear Preds fans justify how it’s actually a good return and moving him for assets was the smart move because they have Askarov and are smart for not signing Saros to a massive contract.

Reactions: MD93 and DevilDog

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
No Preds fans were parroting Trotz with the whole we’re not trading him we’re re-signing him line. Now it comes out he’s listening to offers and now Preds fans are saying well of course he’s listening to offers. Next step is Preds accepting that once again they’ll become less competitive as the season wears on and the reality will be ownership doesn’t want to extend a 30 year old goalie to a big money long term deal especially with a 10-11 overall Russian netminder coming into his own. Saros will be dealt for an underwhelming return compared to what’s being thrown around here and then we’ll all get to hear Preds fans justify how it’s actually a good return and moving him for assets was the smart move because they have Askarov and are smart for not signing Saros to a massive contract.
Trotz has been listening to offers on Saros since day one, that's something he has not been shy about, so I don't know what you have been reading.

They were listening to requests on him at last deadline, or we just forget LA walked away cause the price was too high?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Has any goalie in history ever returned the kind of assets it sounds like the Preds are looking for? They can ask for whatever since I suspect that the goal is definitely to try and re-sign him and that he is really not available. But it would be a record haul if they got anything close to the supposed ask.

If I recall, the highest a goalie ever returned was Cory Schneider getting 9th overall. The fact names like Byfield are being thrown out there are laughable. Nobody's meeting that demand.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Trotz has been listening to offers on Saros since day one, that's something he has not been shy about, so I don't know what you have been reading.

They were listening to requests on him at last deadline, or we just forget LA walked away cause the price was too high?
I know he’s been listening because as I have said in previous thread he would be stupid not to.

What I said was that a lot of Preds fans used Trotz words this summer about not trading him and re-signing him to suggest he was not available at all to try and shut down conversations. Just go look in the last Saros thread, lots of “it’s all moot because he isn’t available”.

They’ll deal him and it’ll be a good return by goalie trade standards but that’ll change if they don’t get it done before this deadline because before you’re getting two cup runs out of him, in the summer you’re paying for a rental who you’ll have to fork out 60-70M to keep.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
An upgrade on what? Vanacek? Sure, because he’s terrible.

Getting one of the few consistently great goalies in the league in Saros isn’t a risk lol. Outside of Josi, no one else on Nashville is special.
Daws is a player the Devils should see what they have in is what I said that he was an upgrade already even in losses he suffered team shit the bed not him....Devils issue are not just goaltending....Injuries youth, and the system they play.....

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Someone will pay up for him and in hindsight it will be an overpay.

Nashville is really in a great spot dealing him though, older, but not too old, not overpaid, not too much term, and they have a goalie in waiting who is looking good.

To get a couple of 1sts and a could of prospects back would be really good for the franchise going forward

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If I recall, the highest a goalie ever returned was Cory Schneider getting 9th overall. The fact names like Byfield are being thrown out there are laughable. Nobody's meeting that demand.
Saros would be by far the best goalie asset to have been traded since, IDK, Luongo in 2006? Pretty safe to say he'd return an absolute truckload of good assets. A recent top 10 pick -type of prospect isn't anywhere near enough here.

But you're probably right in saying that young stars that already play in the show don't get traded for goalies.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
If I’m the Leafs, I see if I can land both Saros AND Josi. Would
Immediately fill both needs for the leafs. Too bad Nylander is resigned, he would be the guy I’d offer in a blockbuster package.

I don’t see an issue with trying to get Nylander or Marner to waive in a deal like that.

I doubt the preds would want Tavares and Matthews isn’t getting traded, but I’d put up anyone else to bring in those two

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I don’t see an issue with trying to get Nylander or Marner to waive in a deal like that.

I doubt the preds would want Tavares and Matthews isn’t getting traded, but I’d put up anyone else to bring in those two
None of the big boys are going to be traded if Shanahan is still in charge. Dude has the boys club on lock.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Daws is a player the Devils should see what they have in is what I said that he was an upgrade already even in losses he suffered team shit the bed not him....Devils issue are not just goaltending....Injuries youth, and the system they play.....
daws is no reason to not trade for saros. you can develop daws behind saros or in the ahl.

the problem is the ask for one and half seasons and the potential of not wanting to spend on his next contract.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I know he’s been listening because as I have said in previous thread he would be stupid not to.

What I said was that a lot of Preds fans used Trotz words this summer about not trading him and re-signing him to suggest he was not available at all to try and shut down conversations. Just go look in the last Saros thread, lots of “it’s all moot because he isn’t available”.

They’ll deal him and it’ll be a good return by goalie trade standards but that’ll change if they don’t get it done before this deadline because before you’re getting two cup runs out of him, in the summer you’re paying for a rental who you’ll have to fork out 60-70M to keep.
I would STILL be using those words to shut down conversations. Because "listening" is STILL exactly the same thing it was before. *IF* teams are willing to pony up top-star young players, then the Preds could consider moving Saros. But teams are STILL not going to be willing to do that. As this thread amply shows. So it's still exactly the same situation.

Preds are still going to end up extending and retaining Saros. Nothing has changed whatsoever and this whole thread is just as pointless now as the 5 or 10 previous ones were.

Reactions: jumb0

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Let me guess Mathews 50 percent retained 3 firsts and Knies and maybe deal isn't enough for The goalie.....If they offer Knies and a first take it and run

Uh no. But trading our two most important players who play more important positions than Nylander does nothing for us. We trade Josi and Saros so we can have Nylander and what? Contend for a cup? How? Nylander is like Forsberg, an elite winger, but that's not what we need, especially if Toronto thinks they can get Saros AND Josi.

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
Ignoring valuations, what's Nashville's big plan long term? Josi's 33 currently and Forsberg and Saros are closing in on 30 as well. They aren't the defenseman factory they were in the 2010s and their drafting has been pretty suspect. When does this bubble team get back into the conversation? Or is this a market that can't handle a complete teardown rebuild?
Read these boards and you will realize that this market, according to some on here, couldn't handle a complete rebuild.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
while i understand the desire, but expecting an overpayment offer (a la jeannot) from an opposing fan base won't lead to a productive discussion. no tampa fan would have offered you all those picks before the trade happened and with hindsight even less so.

if the devils pull the trigger on a saros trade the aim is to win for the duration of his current contract. so the offer will be non-roster futures like casey, gritsyuk, hämeenaho and picks. ruff might be willing to surrender holtz. i don't think fitz is. mercer or nemec won't be discussed if the devils want to win now.

depending on how the devils view askarov they might be willing to surrender a young roster player for him. he projects to be a goalie for a later cup win window and could even create cap space at other positions. the devils won't offer hischier or hughes and if you don't see mercer's future at center there is no obious fit, as the devils pipeline down the middle is shallow at best.
I'm not expecting anything, it's more Trotz telling others that he's not trading Saros. He's listening to offers because that's what GMs do.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I'm not expecting anything, it's more Trotz telling others that he's not trading Saros. He's listening to offers because that's what GMs do.
He knows it's in his best interest to trade him now ....Say he won't extend at a price Trotz wants but wants term and a big payday comes back and plays next year and has another so so yr Trotz knows his return will dwindle....He's trying to create a bidding war for him....Teams like Leafs and Canes should be interested as they are further along in their respective windows....

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Saros, Trenin for Mercer, Mukhamadullin, and a 1/2nd?

Mukhamdullin isn't on NJ anymore, and I bet most devils fans would balk at Mercer for Saros straight up.

Majority of Devils fans here seem content with seeing how healthy the team is at the deadline and where they sit re: playoff chances before considering a big payment for an in-season upgrade. This offseason though Devils will need to dump Vanecek, probably add two goalies. Plan seems to be to keep Daws/Schmid waiver exempt for another year.

• Wow
Reactions: Xirik

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That's the opposite of what listening to offers means, it means he's open to trading him. You're trying to create a narrative that doesn't exist.

"What I mean by that is don’t put down a couple of first-round picks, which would be in the low 20s for the Predators. That’s not going to get [general manager] Barry Trotz to blink. Let’s take the Los Angeles Kings as an example, if they put down a name like Quinton Byfield as part of a package, that would get the attention of the Predators, or any organization if they want to get in on Saros.

"It’s a huge name and they still intend on signing him, but it’s something to monitor before March 8."

He's listening to offers like Fitzgerald "Listens" to offers on the Hughes brothers, sure you'd move one for Bedard, but that's not going to happen. You still have to listen.
He's listening to offers, but if he's not getting something huge than he's not moving him.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
Mukhamdullin isn't on NJ anymore, and I bet most devils fans would balk at Mercer for Saros straight up.

Majority of Devils fans here seem content with seeing how healthy the team is at the deadline and where they sit re: playoff chances before considering a big payment for an in-season upgrade. This offseason though Devils will need to dump Vanecek, probably add two goalies. Plan seems to be to keep Daws/Schmid waiver exempt for another year.
Doh my mistake. on Muk.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
This post essentially says that you can't tell.
What are those assets? I don't see any prospects in Edmonton's system that would be higher than maybe 6th-7th on most teams. Beau Akey seems to be the best prospect and he's a 2023 2nd rounder with a long-shot profile.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

is this backed up by data or just your opinion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad