TSN: Preds listening to offers on Saros.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Benchmark..

Ryan Miller was traded as a rental . He was around 34 when traded at 2014 deadline…

Miller+Ott for Halak+Stewart+ 2015 1st+ 2016 3rd ( with conditions)+ Carrier ( 2013 2nd round pick)

he was traded for one playoff, not 2.

the 3rd would have been a 1st if he was resigned/ won cup.

the price is likely 2 1sts+2 2nds or equivalent.
No. That's insanity.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
None of this is new, its pretty much the same stuff we've been hearing since the end of last season.

Trotz has his price, if someone is crazy enough to pay it then he will let him go. If not he just signs him to a new contract and moves on. Same thing we have been saying for months.

Yup, then he will get his boat anchor contract and you will be getting offers like PLD for Saros, and you will like it!

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I’m not slagging him, but believe he is highly overrated. Would give up a ton for him despite needing a goalie.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Screams NJ but idk if we can beat some team's packages anymore since we've used a ton of our quality on Meier last year. Saros would want to come here more so than any other teams for us to have a good chance at landing him imo. Casey+ would be the start for Nashville I assume. Or even Holtz

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Saros unsurprisingly being pretty underrated when takes like Nemec > Saros right now and Byfield > Saros are being upvoted.

I'm a huge fan of Byfield too and I'm rooting for him to become one of the best players in the league, but there's no gaurentee that happens. Saros is one of the best, arguably most consistent goalie in the league and has been for years playing the most unpredictable position.

Until this season, he has never been below a .914 sv% in 7 seasons. He's also the only active goalie other than Helleybuyck to have 4 seasons finishing top 10 in sv%. He's 3rd all time in SV% among active goaltenders with more than 200 games

Last edited:

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Saros unsurprisingly being pretty underrated when takes like Nemec > Saros right now and Byfield > Saros are being upvoted.

I'm a huge fan of Byfield too and I'm rooting for him to become one of the best players in the league, but there's no gaurentee that happens. Saros is one of the best, arguably most consistent goalie in the league and has been for years playing the most unpredictable position.

Until this season, he has never been below a .914 sv% in 7 seasons. He's also the only active goalie other than Helleybuycyk to have 4 seasons finishing top 10 in sv%.
Both of those players are obviously more valuable and aren’t getting traded for a 28 year old goalie with 1 more year of control in the salary cap era. It would be one thing if they were just prospects and not already excellent players making huge contributions at 19 and 21.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Leafs best offers would be knies + Cowan/minten + 1st and would need to dump Samsonov for the rest of the year

Or something crazier around Marner and pressure him to waive his NMC?

Either way Leafs should be willing to make a major move for Soros if he is available in any way

If I’m the Leafs, I see if I can land both Saros AND Josi. Would
Immediately fill both needs for the leafs. Too bad Nylander is resigned, he would be the guy I’d offer in a blockbuster package.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

Until this season, he has never been below a .914 sv% in 7 seasons. He's also the only active goalie other than Helleybuycyk to have 4 seasons finishing top 10 in sv%. He's 3rd all time in SV% among active goaltenders with more than 200 games
Everyone you say is underrating Saros has history on their side. Goalies for whatever reason don't get Talented young players +1sts +

Feel free to gloat if/when Trotz manages to get such a deal.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
We most likely will, Trotz is fielding offers like we fielded offers for Jeannot, which is to say we're not dealing him barring an overpayment .
while i understand the desire, but expecting an overpayment offer (a la jeannot) from an opposing fan base won't lead to a productive discussion. no tampa fan would have offered you all those picks before the trade happened and with hindsight even less so.

if the devils pull the trigger on a saros trade the aim is to win for the duration of his current contract. so the offer will be non-roster futures like casey, gritsyuk, hämeenaho and picks. ruff might be willing to surrender holtz. i don't think fitz is. mercer or nemec won't be discussed if the devils want to win now.

depending on how the devils view askarov they might be willing to surrender a young roster player for him. he projects to be a goalie for a later cup win window and could even create cap space at other positions. the devils won't offer hischier or hughes and if you don't see mercer's future at center there is no obious fit, as the devils pipeline down the middle is shallow at best.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
while i understand the desire, but expecting an overpayment offer (a la jeannot) from an opposing fan base won't lead to a productive discussion. no tampa fan would have offered you all those picks before the trade happened and with hindsight even less so.

if the devils pull the trigger on a saros trade the aim is to win for the duration of his current contract. so the offer will be non-roster futures like casey, gritsyuk, hämeenaho and picks. ruff might be willing to surrender holtz. i don't think fitz is. mercer or nemec won't be discussed if the devils want to win now.

depending on how the devils view askarov they might be willing to surrender a young roster player for him. he projects to be a goalie for a later cup win window and could even create cap space at other positions. the devils won't offer hischier or hughes and if you don't see mercer's future at center there is no obious fit, as the devils pipeline down the middle is shallow at best.
Except Preds fans have been saying for dang near a year now that there is no discussion to be had anyways because it will take an overpayment based on the words of our GM.

There is absolutely no reason to discuss all of these deals involving lesser players and picks because the GM has already said he will just keep him if that is what he is being offered.

Askarov could be in play, but we also know what he wants roughly for him as well, basically a dynamic young forward prospect.

The whole point for Trotz is that he is essentially hanging raw meat over a pack of hungry wolves in the hopes someone gets desperate enough. If they don't he's ok with that too.

I think the only way that changes is if ownership tells him to burn it to the ground, but the odds of that happening are probably less than someone overpaying for either goalie.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Because NJ keeps losing out on chances because of poor goaltending and it’s very, very rare to find a top 5G available ?

He’s definitely top 5 yes and you certainly don’t win with Vanacek and Dawes as your goaltenders either.
You can't say that about Daws no one can .....From what we have seen he is already an upgrade....They won with V last year until he imploded in the playoffs and he might not get mentally tight again ....I hope he does but it might not happen until a change of scenery.....As far as Daws we don't know yet but at least we won't throw out a ton of assets and term on a risk .....Saros is not playing well this year and in front of our team without other changes or just a healthy roster he will look a lot worse

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Until this season, he has never been below a .914 sv% in 7 seasons. He's also the only active goalie other than Helleybuycyk to have 4 seasons finishing top 10 in sv%. He's 3rd all time in SV% among active goaltenders with more than 200 games
You still don't trade a Player like Byfield or a Nemec for a goalie....Unless you fortunate to have a few of them on your team....

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
None of this is new, its pretty much the same stuff we've been hearing since the end of last season.

Trotz has his price, if someone is crazy enough to pay it then he will let him go. If not he just signs him to a new contract and moves on. Same thing we have been saying for months.
Nashville isn’t going to give Saros a 7-8 yr x 7-8 mil + full NMC when they’re retooling and have Askarov waiting in the wings.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Except Preds fans have been saying for dang near a year now that there is no discussion to be had anyways because it will take an overpayment based on the words of our GM.

There is absolutely no reason to discuss all of these deals involving lesser players and picks because the GM has already said he will just keep him if that is what he is being offered.

Askarov could be in play, but we also know what he wants roughly for him as well, basically a dynamic young forward prospect.

The whole point for Trotz is that he is essentially hanging raw meat over a pack of hungry wolves in the hopes someone gets desperate enough. If they don't he's ok with that too.

I think the only way that changes is if ownership tells him to burn it to the ground, but the odds of that happening are probably less than someone overpaying for either goalie.
i don't see any contender trading core pieces for saros. it would defeat the purpose.

i don't know if you consider mercer dynamic. but he has a lot of great things to offer.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Nashville isn’t going to give Saros a 7-8 yr x 7-8 mil + full NMC when they’re retooling and have Askarov waiting in the wings.
Exactly if he on the Preds next year his value drops and Trotz z knows it....He will deal him for best offer....Don't blame him for trying to get best or their fans

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
If we're blowing it up it won't be for a guy nearing 30, especially not a winger.
Let me guess Mathews 50 percent retained 3 firsts and Knies and maybe deal isn't enough for The goalie.....If they offer Knies and a first take it and run

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Actually that is exactly what they are going to do. Maybe not with the full NMC part, but the $$$ could be higher than you have. In a way, his rough season is about the only thing that might have come at just the right time to keep his extension from being even more expensive than you have it.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Both of those players are obviously more valuable and aren’t getting traded for a 28 year old goalie with 1 more year of control in the salary cap era. It would be one thing if they were just prospects and not already excellent players making huge contributions at 19 and 21.
There's still a gap between being a huge contributor and being top 5 at your position.

Look at the 2nd overalls of this century.. I'd say the only ones that have had an undeniably better career than Saros so far are Malkin, Doughty, Hedman. Let's also say Heatley, Spezza, Barkov, Eichel, Staal, seguin are "arguable". Even if you have all those guys ahead of Saros. That's still less than half the 2nd overall picks this century, and I'm being pretty generous with some of the players under "arguable".

If you wanna bank on a players potential, there's more risk involved with that then taking the proven player. Again, we're talking about a top 5 player in their position, and for multiple years at that. That's not a level most 2nd overall draft picks reach.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You can't say that about Daws no one can .....From what we have seen he is already an upgrade....They won with V last year until he imploded in the playoffs and he might not get mentally tight again ....I hope he does but it might not happen until a change of scenery.....As far as Daws we don't know yet but at least we won't throw out a ton of assets and term on a risk .....Saros is not playing well this year and in front of our team without other changes or just a healthy roster he will look a lot worse
An upgrade on what? Vanacek? Sure, because he’s terrible.

Getting one of the few consistently great goalies in the league in Saros isn’t a risk lol. Outside of Josi, no one else on Nashville is special.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad