TSN: Preds listening to offers on Saros.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If I recall, the highest a goalie ever returned was Cory Schneider getting 9th overall. The fact names like Byfield are being thrown out there are laughable. Nobody's meeting that demand.
Schneider's situation was close, though Saros has a longer track record. And while Horvat turned out to be an excellent pick a 9th overall is still a risk. You might get Nic Ehlers or you might get a Vitali Kravtsov.

Personally I'd be stunned if LA even considered Byfield for Saros. But I also think Nashville has little real interest in moving him right now.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Saros, Trenin for Mercer, Mukhamadullin, and a 1/2nd?

I’d have to consider Mercer, one of our non-Casey prospects, and a non-1st rounder for Saros and Trenin. I don’t think I could stomach including Casey or a 1st as well, that would be too steep for me.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I’d have to consider Mercer, one of our non-Casey prospects, and a non-1st rounder for Saros and Trenin. I don’t think I could stomach including Casey or a 1st as well, that would be too steep for me.
I dont want to lose a pick / make any move like this until we see how we look once people come back from injury.

No point in wasting the capital now, unless they show they can turn into a good team again. if we want to do it in the off-season for a future pick.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
"What I mean by that is don’t put down a couple of first-round picks, which would be in the low 20s for the Predators. That’s not going to get [general manager] Barry Trotz to blink. Let’s take the Los Angeles Kings as an example, if they put down a name like Quinton Byfield as part of a package, that would get the attention of the Predators, or any organization if they want to get in on Saros.

"It’s a huge name and they still intend on signing him, but it’s something to monitor before March 8."

He's listening to offers like Fitzgerald "Listens" to offers on the Hughes brothers, sure you'd move one for Bedard, but that's not going to happen. You still have to listen.
He's listening to offers, but if he's not getting something huge than he's not moving him.
Byfield as part of a package lol? The Devils don't listen to offers for the Hughes brothers they just hang up....

i don't think this works for san jose
Lol

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
i think it would be a mistake to give up Mercer. Holtz and a pick make more sense to me. Ive watched Saros this year, and I know they aren’t a great team in front of him but he has not looked good. I’m not sure he’s going to be worth the price unless he’s just been in a funk, if the price is any more than that. With only one year left Saros is set up to be a losing acquisition for whoever overpays. Unless you win the cup in the next two years of course…

He hasn’t looked like a cup winner, at all.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
There's still a gap between being a huge contributor and being top 5 at your position.

Look at the 2nd overalls of this century.. I'd say the only ones that have had an undeniably better career than Saros so far are Malkin, Doughty, Hedman. Let's also say Heatley, Spezza, Barkov, Eichel, Staal, seguin are "arguable". Even if you have all those guys ahead of Saros. That's still less than half the 2nd overall picks this century, and I'm being pretty generous with some of the players under "arguable".

If you wanna bank on a players potential, there's more risk involved with that then taking the proven player. Again, we're talking about a top 5 player in their position, and for multiple years at that. That's not a level most 2nd overall draft picks reach.
Heater spezza barkov eichel are/were all way better players at their peak than saros. I want what you’re smoking

Reactions: Phion Keneuf

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Benchmark..

Ryan Miller was traded as a rental . He was around 34 when traded at 2014 deadline…

Miller+Ott for Halak+Stewart+ 2015 1st+ 2016 3rd ( with conditions)+ Carrier ( 2013 2nd round pick)

he was traded for one playoff, not 2.

the 3rd would have been a 1st if he was resigned/ won cup.

the price is likely 2 1sts+2 2nds or equivalent.

Vegas and Colorado just proved you don't necessarily need an elite #1 G to win the cup. STL & WSH as well.

In this day and age I don't see teams trading two firsts or the equivalent of it for a goalie.

Heater spezza barkov eichel are/were all way better players at their peak than saros. I want what you’re smoking

Debatable RE Eichel. Saros was nominated for the Vezina and recognized as one of the best players in the league at his position, Eichel has never reached that level.

Reactions: Felidae

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Vegas and Colorado just proved you don't necessarily need an elite #1 G to win the cup. STL & WSH as well.

In this day and age I don't see teams trading two firsts or the equivalent of it for a goalie.
How many teams have been eliminated in those post-seasons because of not having a better goaltender though? Edmonton, Toronto, Los Angeles, Carolina, New Jersey, Colorado last season, etc... You definitely don't need to have a top goaltender to win a Cup but if you are a contending team a subpar goaltender may well increase your likelihood of getting eliminated.

Even as a Preds fan though, I sure as hell wouldn't pay 2 1sts+ for Saros. Don't mind Trotz setting the bar where he has it though.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Debatable RE Eichel. Saros was nominated for the Vezina and recognized as one of the best players in the league at his position, Eichel has never reached that level.
Eichel was the 1c and dominant on a cup winner. Take your vezina nomination and keep it. Lots of goalies have a good season or two. Wasn’t Jim Carey nominated for a vezina one time?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Uh no. But trading our two most important players who play more important positions than Nylander does nothing for us. We trade Josi and Saros so we can have Nylander and what? Contend for a cup? How? Nylander is like Forsberg, an elite winger, but that's not what we need, especially if Toronto thinks they can get Saros AND Josi.

Something around Nylander/Marner for saros/josi would just be moving strengths into areas of weakness for both teams

I’m interested in something along these lines for the leafs

Last edited:

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Reported below by Pagnotta

Attachments

• IMG_1897.jpeg
    IMG_1897.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Soundgarden

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Ha we aint getting half that with how he has been playin even if that 4th asset is Jack Campbell
So if McDavid had a down season on a team full of kids and older vets that means he could be had for extra cheap as well by your logic?
Saros has been nothing short of spectacular his whole career but now because of half a season of still respectable hockey on a bad team keeping them in contention and he’s not worth as much anymore?

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
So if McDavid had a down season on a team full of kids and older vets that means he could be had for extra cheap as well by your logic?
Saros has been nothing short of spectacular his whole career but now because of half a season of still respectable hockey on a bad team keeping them in contention and he’s not worth as much anymore?
Saros is not McDavid. He's maybe a top 5 goalie and not this year. I get you like your player and he does have value, he is good. Mcdavid will be top 5 ever if he stays healthy. Saros won't make the hall if he stays with Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad