Eklund Rumor: Preds listening on Saros

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Oilers can't offer up the same package that the Sabres can, assuming that IF (and that's a big, huge, mega if) Saros is traded it's for futures/young players.

Oilers can't compete with the Devils either, assuming a futures/young-based package.

If Saros really is on the block for futures/young players, it'll be a bidding war between the Devils and Sabres.
Sabres are rebuilding still, how much can they afford to give up in terms of picks and prospects? The Devils are a different story of course

Edmonton should be willing to part with at least two 1sts and their best prospect to fix this problem

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I don't have the time to create a brand or run a rumor account but I swear I could link logical fits and maybe bat 5-15% on success rates and then claim to be an insider.
Oh i know why but i wont say why here. The guy has no more insider information than me and you EXCEPT with the Flyers and then its marginal at best.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Sabres are rebuilding still, how much can they afford to give up in terms of picks and prospects?

THEORETICALLY SPEAKING......we could offer up our 2024 1st (unprotected), Savoie, Rosen PLUS something and STILL have a fantastic prospect pool. Hell, in theory, we could offer up Quinn or JJP in place of a top prospect and STILL be fine.

The only thing we don't really have to offer is defensemen unless Nashville wanted to take a swing on Mats Lindgren.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sabres are rebuilding still, how much can they afford to give up in terms of picks and prospects? The Devils are a different story of course

Edmonton should be willing to part with at least two 1sts and their best prospect to fix this problem
Teams usually give up protected first. Sabres have been rebuilding for a long time, or so it seems. They have plenty of young talent. If you think Levi is the guy, than this makes 0 sense. But Sabres are a team that can give up assets. Problem is Nashville a lot of draft picks. So I'm not really sure what they're looking for. If it's ready now or just high picks.

Edmonton can't part with 2 first and their best prospect, then turn around and sign Saros long term and at a potential high cap. They would need to get rid of Campbell, even more so than the current bury.

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
What would they offer?
No idea, because I don't know what nashville would want. With what our offensive numbers are, we should be winning much more games than we have, the defense and goaltending has been suspect at best. So, probably all of our nhl goalies are available, I wouldn't rule out the 1st rounder being available, but again, I don't know what nashville is looking for. Are they looking for picks and prospects? If so, then I would do a couple of seconds and a a-/b+ prospect depending on defense or forward need for nashvilles prospect pool.

April fools?
no silly it's november

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
No idea, because I don't know what nashville would want. With what our offensive numbers are, we should be winning much more games than we have, the defense and goaltending has been suspect at best. So, probably all of our nhl goalies are available, I wouldn't rule out the 1st rounder being available, but again, I don't know what nashville is looking for. Are they looking for picks and prospects? If so, then I would do a couple of seconds and a a-/b+ prospect depending on defense or forward need for nashvilles prospect pool.

no silly it's november
Would you give up Edvinsson or Danielson for him?

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Would you give up Edvinsson or Danielson for him?
honestly no. I know saros is a pretty big deal and I'd be willing to lose very good players but danielson looks like another larkin (regardless of what fans of other teams believe, larkin is a very good center and has been on very bad teams his first 7 years) and have a 1-2 punch of larkin/danielson and Kasper sitting there, we can't really get rid of. We haven't had centers in our pipeline that were worth it for forever.

Edvinsson is looking more and more like a possible heir to a lidstrom-esque type of defenseman, can't do that unless something egregious (probably personal/off ice if anything) happens.

I'd probably give up wallinder in our defense and he is closer to an a- prospect.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How long do you think it takes to develop into an NHL starter exactly? Askarov turned 21 in the summer. Realistically he isn't going to challenge for a true starting job until age 25/26. Saros shared the net with Rinne at ages 24 and 25, then took over fully at 26. Shesterkin became the starter at age 25, Sorokin took over at age 26.

There is also the idea that Saros could be a great mentor for Askarov. Not to mention at the end of the day the league is still gate driven and Nashville isn't a big market team. Selling Saros could result is a huge loss in team money without even a guarantee at a superstar prospect from a bit higher drafting.

All im saying is it's not as simple as one or the other

Vasilevskiy, Hart and Oettinger all became staters at around 22. So have Askarov stay in the AHL a little longer and if you sell Saros at the deadline bring him up to play the rest of the season and be the starter next year. The only way a guy is becoming a starter at 25/26 is if they don't come over to NA till they're like 24 or just a late bloomer. High end guys that are already over here will be ready much sooner or at least will be thrown out there to be.

Ledge And Dairy

Vasilevskiy, Hart and Oettinger all became staters at around 22. So have Askarov stay in the AHL a little longer and if you sell Saros at the deadline bring him up to play the rest of the season and be the starter next year. The only way a guy is becoming a starter at 25/26 is if they don't come over to NA till they're like 24 or just a late bloomer. High end guys that are already over here will be ready much sooner or at least will be thrown out there to be.
You are naming some guys with pretty big resumes. Vasy took the starting job from Bishop at age 22 and yas since been a consistent top 3 goalie in the league.
Hart was brought up way too early and rushed into a starting job. His struggles here and there are proof of that.
And Oettinger took over the job at 23 not 22.

Honestly this post is quite troll. You chose the 3 guys since like Carry Price to get a starting job at that young of an age(I guess Matt Murray too but his case is weird). Swayman is doing just fine in a 1B role. Knight is still figuring it out. Kotchetkov is still the #3. Gustafsson is still splitting starts. Georgiev, Vanecek, Jarry, Samsonov, and Demko all become a starter at 26. Bobrovsky at 25, Vejmelka 25, Ullmark at 27, Markstrom, 27.

Sure I guess Hellebuyck and Gibson became their teams starters at 23 but again those are 2 of the best goalies to play in the last 15 years.

Again though my point is signing Saros does bot mean they have to trade Askarov, and keeping Askarov does not mean they have to trade Saros. You do whats vest for your team and if running 2 strong goalies is whats best then so be it. Personally I really like Boston's situation where they have 2 goalies every night that can reliably win them the game

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
On its face, it should be a no brainer that Nashville wouldnt immediately turn away trade offers on Saros. Doesnt mean theyll just accept anything but the team is in the basement early this season and in a retool. If someone wants to offer us something that is hard to turn away, we should genuinely entertain the idea.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Ek’s track record from what I remember isnt horrible.

FWIW about 35% of the fanbase is ready to jettison saros to a contender.

Almost 50% want to see Saros get traded if we are not a playoff team in 24 (we are not playoff team)

per the article

Edmonton, NJ, Carolina were specifically mentioned.

Asking price is a 1st + sweeteners

Depending on what the sweeteners they should be interested.

I mean they need to either trade Saros or Askarov. There’s no point to sign Saros to a long term deal and keep one of the best goalie prospects in hockey as a backup for 5+ years ?

If they are rebuilding, clearly trading Saros is the best option, clears a lot of cap space
Enough said.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Sarros can't sign an extension until July, as he has 1 more season after this one. Might as well listen and see what the offers are. Askarov, numbers wise in the A last season and this has been very good. I mean, they passed on taking Lundell to draft Askarov in 2020.
Add to that Sarros value is at it's peak. If Askarov is your future than you take the right offer for Sarros if it comes, when ever it comes.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I guess the question here is what is the plan for the Preds next two - three years? Are they fully rebuilding or will still try to compete ? If it’s the former, trading Saros seems like a better idea
If they believe that Askarov will be ready to step in next season then trading Saros is the smart thig to do. With the assets they get back = a better team

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Add to that Sarros value is at it's peak. If Askarov is your future than you take the right offer for Sarros if it comes, when ever it comes.
Maybe that is why Saros isn't playing so great. He knows he is on the block

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Eklund still has an online presence?

Haven't heard his name in years and obviously wouldn't have broken one thing in that time.

Why is he still given the time of day by anyone?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
On its face, it should be a no brainer that Nashville wouldnt immediately turn away trade offers on Saros. Doesnt mean theyll just accept anything but the team is in the basement early this season and in a retool. If someone wants to offer us something that is hard to turn away, we should genuinely entertain the idea.
Exactly.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
EK's track record makes you question if a broken clock is actually right twice.

Trading Saros now would make zero sense given how aggression Nashville was in getting UFAs. They'll just punt on this season if it comes to that and try to rebound next.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
You are naming some guys with pretty big resumes. Vasy took the starting job from Bishop at age 22 and yas since been a consistent top 3 goalie in the league.
Hart was brought up way too early and rushed into a starting job. His struggles here and there are proof of that.
And Oettinger took over the job at 23 not 22.

Honestly this post is quite troll. You chose the 3 guys since like Carry Price to get a starting job at that young of an age(I guess Matt Murray too but his case is weird). Swayman is doing just fine in a 1B role. Knight is still figuring it out. Kotchetkov is still the #3. Gustafsson is still splitting starts. Georgiev, Vanecek, Jarry, Samsonov, and Demko all become a starter at 26. Bobrovsky at 25, Vejmelka 25, Ullmark at 27, Markstrom, 27.

Sure I guess Hellebuyck and Gibson became their teams starters at 23 but again those are 2 of the best goalies to play in the last 15 years.

Again though my point is signing Saros does bot mean they have to trade Askarov, and keeping Askarov does not mean they have to trade Saros. You do whats vest for your team and if running 2 strong goalies is whats best then so be it. Personally I really like Boston's situation where they have 2 goalies every night that can reliably win them the game

Troll post by mentioning 3 guys who were the first goalie drafted in their draft year? Also you talk about resumes like Askarov didn't have one. I would say Askarov had a bigger resume and was higher regarded than all but Vasilevskiy and even that is a close comparison.

Saying Askarov shouldn't be a starter till 25/26 is a bigger troll post than saying he could start at 22. You don't bring him over this young to keep him a backup for 5 years. If you wanted to wait till that age like Sirokin and Sheshterkin then you keep them over there longer starting in the KHL.

Ledge And Dairy

Troll post by mentioning 3 guys who were the first goalie drafted in their draft year? Also you talk about resumes like Askarov didn't have one. I would say Askarov had a bigger resume and was higher regarded than all but Vasilevskiy and even that is a close comparison.

Saying Askarov shouldn't be a starter till 25/26 is a bigger troll post than saying he could start at 22. You don't bring him over this young to keep him a backup for 5 years. If you wanted to wait till that age like Sirokin and Sheshterkin then you keep them over there longer starting in the KHL.
Askarov absolutely has potential but that's all it is right now. He's almost certainly not ready to be a starter next year at this point in time.

I did not say he shouldn't be a starter until age 25/26, I said thats most likely when he develops into that role. Don't twist my words to sound like im gatekeeping.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
I find Nashvilles direction to be very confusing, between the buyouts/retention and then signing veteran players. It looks like a rebuild makes sense and he is a player you could get significant assets for and have an in-house solution available. Seems like a reasonable position.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad