Pre-Game Talk: Preds @ Jets • Sat, Mar 23 @ 6:00 pm CT • Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think attempting 2 high energy games in a row might not have been ideal at this juncture.
Got to pick and choose as you said.
Can’t go hammer and tongs until the end of the regular season or we will exit quickly.
I am behind this team 100% and they certainly are capable of picking it up several notches yet.
The return of Buff and Jomo will be a very good boost inside that room as well.
It will be very interesting to watch how the Jets manage out the rest of the season. If they continue to weave their way to first and get healthy, and also find a way to rest a few players I think the ledge standers/jumpers will get a bit of a surprise on how the dial gets turned up very quickly come puck drop of game 1 in round 1.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Yes they are Feb 28th to date Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick . Defense is definitely a problem for them however they generating a lot more on the offensive end (shots and shot attempts) than the Jets. Their numbers seem to be good in atleast 1 end of the ice.

Jets 7-4
Sharks 6-4
Leafs 5-5-1

And the Jets were playing many top tier teams.

So the Jets sucked so much more than the Leafs and Sharks? Alllrighty!

Reactions: Eyeseeing

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Jets 7-4
Sharks 6-4
Leafs 5-5-1

And the Jets were playing many top tier teams.

So the Jets sucked so much more than the Leafs and Sharks? Alllrighty!
The Sharks have not won a game since beating the Jets ... 4 straights loses with Kane in the lineup including a loss to LA who were playing B2B.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Yes they are Feb 28th to date Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick . Defense is definitely a problem for them however they generating a lot more on the offensive end (shots and shot attempts) than the Jets. Their numbers seem to be good in atleast 1 end of the ice.

Ah, OK. Thus, this representation is quite variable and may level out with fatter sampling. And by thus normalizing the data, resemble something akin to team-specific reflections of wins and losses.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
He only cares about Corsi. He doesn't care about winning

I think if someone wants to deviate from winning percentage, I would focus on something that’s quite a bit more important like goal differential.

Did you know that there is a 100% correlation between goal differential and winning % in any game you want to pick out? IT’S TRUE!

In the latest 31 Thoughts, arguably the best coach out there, Mike Babcock said this:

Earlier in his tenure, I asked Mike Babcock what he considers the most important statistic. Without hesitation, he replied, “Goal differential.”

Is there something to this madness? Let’s take a look at the current standings.

The top 8 seeded teams in the east also have the top eight goal differential in the conference. Is this an aberation? Let’s check out the west.

The top 8 seeded teams in the west ALSO have the top eight goal differential in their conference.

You know what guys? I think it’s safe to say, as proved out by stats, the goal differential is THE most important stat, whether you look at it at a game basis or overall for the entire season.

And who said this caveman can’t do advanced stats?

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
giphy (5).gif

IeRF.gif

giphy (4).gif

Go :jerts Go!

er, I mean, Go :jets Go!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Lightning have been on cruise control, the Jets still have a ton to prove. All we can really do is wait and see who is ultimately right about this team but teams don't just magically turn a switch when the playoffs come around.
The Jets have more to prove than the Lightning?

Why?

This iteration of the Lightning has fallen on its face more than once in the playoffs. Right now they look the more complete team but winning the regular season means nothing..

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I completely agree that anything can happen in the playoffs. Luck still plays a huge role in the outcomes (see Vegas last season), however I figure most people would rather have a team that's playing well for a stretch before the playoffs rather than one who started strong and has been running on fumes for months. The two main points that people giving this team the benefit of the doubt are making right now is that Byfuglien and Morrissey have been out and that this team was incredible last season and has more or less the same talent as last season.

The Byfuglien and Morrissey point is fair, as they are both incredible players but the team wasn't playing it's best when they were both in the lineup together recently. They will no doubt make a difference but we're also assuming they both come back at full capacity and will have time to work the rust off before playoffs. I'm hopeful they will both be back by the start of April but it would be foolish to assume they will be at top capacity when they return. Byfuglien was rushed back into the lineup already once this year and it's clear the team is getting a little desperate.

The other point drives me nuts. The players may be largely the same from last season but the production is way down. I admit it's certainly possible that the team's best players start playing up to their previous standards when playoffs start but is it not at least equally as likely that they continue to play the way they have for the past four plus months? I actually have less concern about the defence on this team as I do about the forwards. Wheeler and Scheifele cannot produce 5-on-5 and are getting killed in shots and chances every game. That doesn't get fixed overnight with a flick of a switch. If our two previously most dominant offensive players can't drive play, there's no one who will pick up the slack for them. Ehlers and Connor are really good players, but they are complimentary pieces at this point in their careers.

You may call it glass half full vs glass half empty but in my mind, the difference is some people saw what this team was capable of at full strength last season and assume that they are still capable of that type of performance while others see what they've been capable at max capcity this season and see that it's been a large enough sample size to assume things will continue that way.
I don't disagree with much of this, if any really. Where I'm at is despite all of the Jets shortcomings, here we sit in first place over a pretty big sample size. This is going to change come playoff time? It certainly might but over the much smaller sample that the playoffs are, it just might not.

I don't think they need to flip some huge switch, the adjustments are much smaller imo. This team seems to be managing itself a certain way through the regular season. I think they have more to give. Jury is out on whether it's enough.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I dug up my exact quote from December 2017, when Scheifele had just suffered from an injury which kept him out of the action for almost two months.

The same applies here. Two out of twenty are injured. No matter which two those are, you cannot collapse because of that.

People need to stop going behind that excuse.
They've collapsed?

Really?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So I hear my buddy has the Tapp car booked. We are heading down at 4:00PM so that combination might tip you off that being overserved may possibly be on the menu. I hope I am not a beaky ass hat if the game goes south.

Go you Gerts Go

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I however do expect the Jets to not be a bottom-5 team hanging out with lottery teams like LA and NY but expect them to hang out with their peers like Nashville, Sharks, Calgary, St Louis or at the very least other low end playoffs teams like Dallas and Arizona.

As someone who likes following stats and believes in tilting the ice, I agree with you.

But then I look at the standings, have a sip of my drink, and enjoy life and the position the Jets are in.

If they flame out, at least I still have the summer to look forward to. ;) Until my hopes are dashed, I'm going to hang on to the possibility that they return to their dominant play after rope-a-doping the league for the last couple of months. :P

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I dug up my exact quote from December 2017, when Scheifele had just suffered from an injury which kept him out of the action for almost two months.

The same applies here. Two out of twenty are injured. No matter which two those are, you cannot collapse because of that.

People need to stop going behind that excuse.

For sure. Losing two of your top three defensemen for an extended period of time is no big deal. Shake it off, and hope that a cast off (Beaulieu) and a #7 (Morrow) can fill their shoes. ;)

Thankfully Niku has played well and Chiarot has been playing the best hockey of his career. Your assertion is lacking merit, IMO. You're downplaying the downgrade.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's not logical or actually correct mathematically but...

Whomever wins Saturday is going to win the Central.
Clinching and Clenching on a Saturday night.
Anything's possible.

giphy.gif

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's cute how the Preds board Pre-GDT morphed into the GDT which morphed into the Post GDT and all of that together is 5 pages over 2 days.

Each HF Preds fans should have to have at least 3 accounts.
That way it could look like a conversation by more than 5 people.

Jets better be all over things tomorrow if they want to get a good result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad