Pre-Game Talk: Preds @ Jets • Sat, Mar 23 @ 6:00 pm CT • Sportsnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
You know, it’s not so much that our underlining stats are a problem, it’s more the obvious bad habits the guys have fallen into and the worry that they can’t get out of them when it counts. We won’t really know until the playoffs.

And idk, I just find the idea of playing at the same high level year after year consistently very hard to do at the top level. I think teams and players are going to have ups and downs even from season to season. Consistently playing at a top level is rare. It’s what separates superstars from all time greats. Cup winners from dynasties.

Reactions: Ducky10

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
This rivalry keeps getting feistier. Jets win this they clinch, if Nashville wins they tie, I think they could possibly both clinch at once if we lose (I hope not). But the one thing to expect is a bloodbath.

The best grit we have I think is Lowry.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Just listened to Burke and MacLean on Hockey Central (as we all know a Sportsnet Toronto centric talk show about the "NHL") whining about how there's something off about the Jets and their effort against Vegas last night. Not once did they mention that the Jets' top 2 defencemen are hurt and out nor that it was the second of a back to back game of a 3 game road trip in which the Jets won 2 of the 3. If it had been the Leafs in the same situation they would have thrown out all sorts of positive vibes on the loss. Just blows me away that these two are supposed to know something about hockey. And to boot, if the Jets beat Nashville Saturday they'll have absolutely nothing to say about it on Monday, depending how the Leafs do over the week-end.
But they are not really wrong, are they?

The Jets have looked off most of the season. They more resemble the team of 2 years ago than the one last year. Yes fatique and injuries are a factor lately but they have had an entire season of meh. How many games have they been completely outclassed? At least 10 by my count. How many games have they been outplayed but won? Probably 6 or more games where the consensus was, "well its 2 points. A win is a win."

Even in the winning streaks they have not looked nearly as dominant (most of the time) as the record indicates nor like they were last year.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
6761759fa922967441af9f4193286096.jpg

Change your saying to "Save us Bogdan Kissjkflajslfroiafvich"

Reactions: Aggie204

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Shot attempt differential by season ( SF - SA )

2019: -170
2018: 224
2017: -101
2016: 191
2015: 334
2014: 9
2013: -47
2012: 49

This season is the Jets worst ever for having more shot attempts against than for. We are off... just not playing the same.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Teams that think they can just "flip the switch" come playoff time end up golfing more often than not before the other teams that were playing well going into the playoffs.

The only saving grace to me is Nashville has been off this season just as much as the Jets.

So is this game a battle of the best of the worst, or the worst of the best?

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Teams that think they can just "flip the switch" come playoff time end up golfing more often than not before the other teams that were playing well going into the playoffs.

The only saving grace to me is Nashville has been off this season just as much as the Jets.

So is this game a battle of the best of the worst, or the worst of the best?

Do you have data to back this up? :sarcasm:

We’re first in the division. We can’t be the worst. Get the f*** outta here with that bs. :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I say we will win again but Nashville won't end up far behind us by the end of the season in total points . Really would like us to win these last 4 home games before going on the road for the last 4 . Clenching big time now . Friggin Sportsnet tomorrow to, damnit . :facepalm:

Not clenching until after tomorrow's game. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just listened to Burke and MacLean on Hockey Central (as we all know a Sportsnet Toronto centric talk show about the "NHL") whining about how there's something off about the Jets and their effort against Vegas last night. Not once did they mention that the Jets' top 2 defencemen are hurt and out nor that it was the second of a back to back game of a 3 game road trip in which the Jets won 2 of the 3. If it had been the Leafs in the same situation they would have thrown out all sorts of positive vibes on the loss. Just blows me away that these two are supposed to know something about hockey. And to boot, if the Jets beat Nashville Saturday they'll have absolutely nothing to say about it on Monday, depending how the Leafs do over the week-end.

Some of our own posters ignore no Buff or Morrissey also.

Last edited:

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
Look on the bright side Jets fans we could be yammering Blue Jacket fans on here! LOL

19 years and will not have ANY playoff success! Even Jets 1.0 were way better than that!

We’re spoiled here because of Chevy’s brilliance. Sure he’s made the odd mistake but wow what a drafting record thus far.

The CBJs are sunk for years to come with trading many of there tops picks and prospects for a few rentals. Not to mention there’s no way there top guys are not resigning there. Loyal fan base to boot!

Jaffray15

Mar 12, 2008
Winnipeg
www.nhl94.com
Shot attempt differential by season ( SF - SA )

2019: -170
2018: 224
2017: -101
2016: 191
2015: 334
2014: 9
2013: -47
2012: 49

This season is the Jets worst ever for having more shot attempts against than for. We are off... just not playing the same.

There are bigger factors then us just "Being off". Big part of the season without Byfluglien and Morrissey is huge. Plus, no Enstrom (As soft as he was), was good at keeping shots against low.

On the Forward side, losing Ehlers for a chunk of the season makes SF a lot lower.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Some of our own posters ignore no Buff or Morrissey also.

Toronto Maple Leafs who most here would say have worse defensive depth than us, lost Dermott on Feb 28th and Gardiner has been out since long before that. Kapanen has also been hurt and been in and out of the lineup during this period. Kadri also missed games in this stretch. This is how their record ranks in that period, for comparison I have also put the Jets record. I have also added the San Jose Sharks who have missed Kane and Karlsson in the same stretch

TeamCF% RankFF% RankSF% Rank
Maple Leafs9th17th15th
Sharks7th8th8th
Jets28th25th27th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

It is not that Buff and/or Morrissey are ignored, it is that others might be overestimating how much our suckage is due to missing those two.

Also this argument that "some expect Jets to play in top gear all season" is also not right. I don't expect the Jets to play like the playoffs every game, I however do expect the Jets to not be a bottom-5 team hanging out with lottery teams like LA and NY but expect them to hang out with their peers like Nashville, Sharks, Calgary, St Louis or at the very least other low end playoffs teams like Dallas and Arizona.

Last edited:

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Toronto Maple Leafs who most here would say have worse defensive depth than us, lost Dermott on Feb 28th and Gardiner has been out since long before that. Kapanen has also been hurt and been in and out of the lineup during this period. Kadri also missed games in this stretch. This is how their record ranks in that period, for comparison I have also put the Jets record. I have also added the San Jose Sharks who have missed Kane and Karlsson in the same stretch

Maple Leafs9th17th15th
Sharks7th8th8th
Jets28th25th27th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It is not that Buff and/or Morrissey are ignored, it is that others might be overestimating how much our suckage is due to missing those two.

Also this argument that "some expect Jets to play in top gear all season" is also not right. I don't expect the Jets to play like the playoffs every game, I however do expect the Jets to not be a bottom-5 team hanging out with lottery teams like LA and NY but expect them to hang out with their peers like Nashville, Sharks, Calgary, St Louis or at the very least other low end playoffs teams like Dallas and Arizona.

This is quite intriguing - are these stats plucked from Feb 28 to present? Intringuing to me because of the apparent conflict - as I am one of those who think that Toronto definitely has issues with their defence. So much so that I guess that this is their biggest problem, limiting their chances against elite opponents. Am I that out to lunch (wait, don't answer that :laugh:), or is this an indictment of the stats provided, a sampling effect, or an effect of the way their forwards are coached within their system?

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Well they’ve been on cruise control half the year with nothing to prove in the regular season.
I said in the Prediction thread
5-1 Vegas because I really think the team despite being tired was looking ahead to the game with Nashville and it’s importance.
It would have been a waste of energy to attempt blowing our load in Vegas to prove a point when it’s far more important to beat Nashville head to head right now.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This is quite intriguing - are these stats plucked from Feb 28 to present? Intringuing to me because of the apparent conflict - as I am one of those who think that Toronto definitely has issues with their defence. So much so that I guess that this is their biggest problem, limiting their chances against elite opponents. Am I that out to lunch (wait, don't answer that :laugh:), or is this an indictment of the stats provided, a sampling effect, or an effect of the way their forwards are coached within their system?

Yes they are Feb 28th to date Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick . Defense is definitely a problem for them however they generating a lot more on the offensive end (shots and shot attempts) than the Jets. Their numbers seem to be good in atleast 1 end of the ice.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I said in the Prediction thread
5-1 Vegas because I really think the team despite being tired was looking ahead to the game with Nashville and it’s importance.
It would have been a waste of energy to attempt blowing our load in Vegas to prove a point when it’s far more important to beat Nashville head to head right now.
We really are now at pick your spots time. We are in the playoffs and can bury the Preds in the game tomorrow. After winning 4 in a row and on a B2B yesterday does seem like a take a breath game. Tomorrow should be fun.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Some of our own posters ignore no Buff or Morrissey either.
I dug up my exact quote from December 2017, when Scheifele had just suffered from an injury which kept him out of the action for almost two months.

You don't exactly replace your 1C without skipping a beat. Then again, if we are a playoff team, 20 games without Scheifele can not be our demise.

This is a test.
The same applies here. Two out of twenty are injured. No matter which two those are, you cannot collapse because of that.

People need to stop going behind that excuse.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
We really are now at pick your spots time. We are in the playoffs and can bury the Preds in the game tomorrow. After winning 4 in a row and on a B2B yesterday does seem like a take a breath game. Tomorrow should be fun.

I think attempting 2 high energy games in a row might not have been ideal at this juncture.
Got to pick and choose as you said.
Can’t go hammer and tongs until the end of the regular season or we will exit quickly.
I am behind this team 100% and they certainly are capable of picking it up several notches yet.
The return of Buff and Jomo will be a very good boost inside that room as well.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I dug up my exact quote from December 2017, when Scheifele had just suffered from an injury which kept him out of the action for almost two months.

The same applies here. Two out of twenty are injured. No matter which two those are, you cannot collapse because of that.

People need to stop going behind that excuse.

I'm not saying it's an excuse. They've won without them in the past and need to win now without them.

We like to go game by game here though. They may be in the bottom 6 or so in numbers since Feb 28. They're also 7-4 in that same stretch.

Reactions: Ducky10

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Maple Leafs9th17th15th
Sharks7th8th8th
Jets28th25th27th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If their impact is overstated then they are for the other teams, and shouldn't be mentioned in a game to game "analysis" saying that these teams are hurt so they should be taking advantage of it.

Reactions: kanadalainen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad