LeBrun: Preds and Jets watching Simmonds

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Why not?
They do need more center but wings a full for yers. Vesalainen is a nice tradepeace.

Vesalainen's ELC is sliding this year. That means they have him at a cut rate until the end of the 21-22 season. It is very likely they'll get at least two seasons of legit top 6 play out of him on ELC.

At the deadline, no team will offer any asset with value greater than a late 1st for a pure rental player.

Thus, even if the Jets have such assets, they will never have to include them in a trade to outbid other teams.

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
Simmonds is actually with nice contract. Cheap.
Sadly it is his last year.

Dunno. If there was Simmonds level center for trade I would easily give Vesalainen.

If you want to win Cup, you have to make some moves. And sometimesi it is moving promising stuff out.

Though as he is not center no need for that.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Maybe Allard + cond. 2nd?

2nd turns 1st if we reach the final or maybe conference final
I think that's a fair limit of what I'd give. 2nd+Allard/Carrier (or similar "B" prospect if there was one the Flyers liked better). Nobody would complain if it conditionally switched to a 1st if we made the final-4, I suppose... although at the same time that would hold us back from using the 1st in a different deal, which would be more my problem.

But I think the key again for the Preds is that it should be something of a buyer's market this year, there are quite a few wingers who may make the market, and I'd rather pile assets into a Stone pursuit too. Or consider how my comparison shopping pans out on other players like Nyquist, Zuccarello, Silfverberg, whoever else ends up on the market. Simmonds would definitely not be a headline target, and he would not draw any bidding war premium. He'd be more like a fallback option. And definitely not a player to even consider signing long-term, so purely a rental. The 2nd+B prospect or just standalone 1st are entirely fair in that context.

Rypien37

Aug 20, 2013
I honestly can't think of 2 better fits for Simmonds. Both teams are big bodied teams while potentially 1 or 2 pieces away from the Cup.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
I see Simmonds going in a deal similar to what E. Kane was traded for - Ok prospect and conditional 1st. Hypothetically if the Simmonds was the only acquisition the Jet's made that involved higher round picks, I'm not giving up that 1st unless it's there's conditions surrounding it - i.e 2nd becomes a 1st if the Jet's win the cup or Simmonds meets some performance marker.

Reactions: Jetsetter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad