LeBrun: Preds and Jets watching Simmonds

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't see the fit for the Jets especially at a cost of a 1st or 2nd rounder+.

Brandon Tanev is having a more productive (at 5v5) and producing with higher efficiency than Simmonds and i doubt Maurice will break up the Lowry-Tanev duo. He's not going to usurp any of the top 6 wingers (Connor, Ehlers, Wheeler, Laine), or anyone on PP1. Trade currency is better spent elsewhere (additional D depth or Top 6 C) than Simmonds who will probably on the 4th line

Reactions: Snowman

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
What if Wheeler was moved back to C? Opens up a RW spot for Simmonds.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Simmonds
Connor - Wheeler - Laine.

Two first lines lol. Disgusting to be honest

This top 6 is why the Wild SHOULD go after Simmonds. Wild fans saying that he'd be on their 4th line are just clueless.

Here's my deal that I believe sets the Wild up to make a serious run this year and value wise I think is pretty good (it's a two part trade):

1) Simmonds and Raffl (a good bottom 6 forward who does play an energy game) for the Wild 2019 1st (Simmonds is probably worth a little more than that on his own but I'm not going to be greedy and am looking to give the Wild and offer they can't refuse).

Part 2) after the season is over and before the draft, assuming the Wild are going to part ways with Trouba and keep Myers, to Philly Trouba, to Wild the Wild 2019 1st, Philly 2020 1st (top 5 protected), and Myers. That's two first rnd picks and our best dman prospect for Trouba. I doubt that you get a better offer for him that that. Myers was probably ready this year but for stupid reasons we kept him in the AHL.

Sorry, brain fat and I was drinking, meant the Jets, lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Helistin

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
This top 6 is why the Wild SHOULD go after Simmonds. Wild fans saying that he'd be on their 4th line are just clueless.

Here's my deal that I believe sets the Wild up to make a serious run this year and value wise I think is pretty good (it's a two part trade):

1) Simmonds and Raffl (a good bottom 6 forward who does play an energy game) for the Wild 2019 1st (Simmonds is probably worth a little more than that on his own but I'm not going to be greedy and am looking to give the Wild and offer they can't refuse).

Part 2) after the season is over and before the draft, assuming the Wild are going to part ways with Trouba and keep Myers, to Philly Trouba, to Wild the Wild 2019 1st, Philly 2020 1st (top 5 protected), and Myers. That's two first rnd picks and our best dman prospect for Trouba. I doubt that you get a better offer for him that that. Myers was probably ready this year but for stupid reasons we kept him in the AHL.

The Winnipeg Wild. I like it.

Reactions: flyersfan187

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

why do you keep saying the wild...it's the jets, how do you screw that up

Wheeler wont play C, he's way better served on the Wing with Scheifele and Maurice wont break those two up. Wheeler has had a bit of a down year defensively and being paired with Laine likely will exasperate things. Wheeler did ok at C last year at 5v5 but definitely not something id like to see full time.

The Jets seriously don't need Simmonds especially at your projected cost of a 1st+. he isn't usurping any of the wingers in the top 6, Maurice wont break up the X-Lowry-Tanev duo as it's been a very strong defensive/shut down line that can chip in at 5v5 (Tanev's is having a more productive and efficient year at 5v5 compared to Simmonds then account that Simmonds has over 130+ PP TOI mins and Tanev has 2min total and Simmer only 1 more total point to show for it). Simmonds wont see PP1 time on the Jets. I'm sorry, Simmonds is a good player it just isn't a fit on the current Jets.

edit - it is interesting though, basically get simmonds at the tdl and recoup the cost in the offseason lol. but why would philly do that? just to get trouba? they can trade Simmonds for picks & prospects and trade for Trouba separately if they desire

Would be interested in a potential Trouba swap in the off-season though :)

Last edited:

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Fabbro, Allard, Samberg are good players for sure. But we have solid core of young D`s. We need old enough D-man who will become mentor for IPro, Sanheim and others.
If we talk about prospects, we need goal-scoring wingers and offensive centers + 1 or 2 rd dependable of prospects who will come instead Simmer
While I agree, trading Simmonds as a base for a mentor vet isn’t the right move. In the off-season I think it would be a great move for the flyers to offer Anton Stralman (T4 RHD) a 2 year big money deal. This helps Provorov/Sanheim/Myers/Ghost all until they’re 24-27. It would be a waste of Simmers value to trade him for another vet when there are some UFA options to sign.

From our D prospects:
Myers- T4 RHD upside.
Morin- 5/6 upside
Hogberg- bottom pair or 7 upside
Friedman- Gudas lite bottom pair/7 upside
Kalynuk/Zemula/Wylie- too hard to say right now

Rest are AHL level. Sorry if I forgot someone. Our D is somewhat figured out for the future with Provorov, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Morin, X.

I really do think Allard has higher upside than anyone not named Morin, Myers, Provorov, Ghost, and Sanheim in our system.

I really do like Allard and think a future pairing of Morin - Allard would be an intimidating pair.
——————
Forwards:

We got JVR last summer to fill the need of a shooter. He will help in the future, but I think he may be picked up by Seattle during the draft. Idk though.

We also have some good Shot-First prospects: Wade Allison (best shot in system - 20 goal NHL scorer?), Issac Ratcliffe (Great down low and shot player), Matthew Strome (B6 depth scorer), Carsten Twarynski (4th Line energy player with a good shot).

Not only that, but Morgan Frost and Joel Farabee have T6 potential with really good wrist shots.

Pair those players with Nolan Patrick, Sean Couturier, Travis Konecny, and Oskar Lindblom in the future, we have a pretty crowded lineup group.

Not trying to say it’s more crowded than our D Corp, but I don’t think we can get a F prospect that does anything different than what we already have in our system.

Just my opinion on why I’d go for Allard

Archiebonker

Feb 11, 2016
Calgary
I really think the Jets will be making a swing for Ottawa's Duchene actually. He might be more than a rental too if they can come to an agreement.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I really think the Jets will be making a swing for Ottawa's Duchene actually. He might be more than a rental too if they can come to an agreement.

Doubt it, Jets won’t pay the asking price or outbid all others for a rental.....Chevy is very conservative GM which is how he built such a good team from a few core pieces only. Some GM will overpay for Duchene as a rental and he’ll bolt to UFA.....won’t be the Jets. Plus Jets can’t afford his soon to be huge cap hit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
All i can think of is why? The Jets could use C or D, not a winger..
If MN keeps on the way they are, then Staal would be near perfect for WPG, and i'm sure that something could be worked out. He's a guy who has thrived coming back near his Thunder Bay roots late in his career. He's a relatively cheap, expiring contract, which would suit both teams, i think.

Archiebonker

Feb 11, 2016
Calgary
Yup, there is a lot of talk about Staal. And I think the contract thing for Duchene might not fit. "Unless" Chevy has another plan for next year. Perreault will be traded next season and Tanev could be part of a bigger trade deal.
Should be interesting. I think they need something big, but I would hate to see them trade their future away.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
This Flyers team stinks and Simmonds needs a change of scenery..

Even in a down year where our team sucks.. I'd expect Simmonds to be a great addition wherever he goes. He's playing for a new contract and on a team going to the playoffs he's a player that can flip the switch on
You don't think his "switch" has been on when literally millions of dollars are at stake? The more likely scenario is that the 30 year old power forward is just suffering from the natural aging curve and is not nearly the player he was a couple of years ago.

Reactions: Snowman

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne

Or, you know, they could just use the 1st + to get an actually center.

And really, the hilarious part of your Wild error is that the perfect rental for the Jets is on the Wild in Eric Staal.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There is team wide stupidity in player execution of basics for the Flyers, particularly back checking in the D zone and over passing/poopr passing in attack. Simmonds coasts on the back check in the d zone instead of continuing to take strides and coasts with his stick over his hips crouched over when the play gets closer to the net. He might have saved 2 or 3 goals the last week or maybe not. When you have added back pressure things change. All I know is there is a malaise of poor fundamentals to the game and its infectious though the team, a hopelessness. A change of scenery and playing with better players in the right role would help, but Simmonds has made so many bone head plays I think it affects his value. What the Flyers need is a good 3 C and a veteran D as many others have said.. And a reliable veteran goalie...it will be a patchwork of AHL callups and Neuvirth going on and off IR till this year is over. Cant even say if Elliott is coming back, there is a lot of mystery affecting his status.
You are not wrong. That "coasting" and reaching that Simmonds has done lately has been infuriating. You would think a guy playing for a new contract would be all out, every night.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You don't think his "switch" has been on when literally millions of dollars are at stake? The more likely scenario is that the 30 year old power forward is just suffering from the natural aging curve and is not nearly the player he was a couple of years ago.
He had 7 different injuries last year and it is likely that he is not 100% recovered.

Regardless, his play has slipped and I would not be the team to sign him in the summer. Let someone else take the chance.

Now for this deadline, it is different. The acquiring team is hoping that adding him will be the difference in those grind it out series's where the pretty goals go away and the "banging" goals from in front of the net, go up.

The Jets don't seem like a match...but they could also look at it that if an injury occurs, that changes things. And having depth is never a bad thing for a team going for a Cup. It does look like they should go for a C instead, imo.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Why not?
They do need more center but wings a full for yers. Vesalainen is a nice tradepeace.
Because the Jets have no need for Simmonds. He would be nice to have, but isn't worth giving up a valuable piece for someone who will play in our bottom 6.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Why not?
They do need more center but wings a full for yers. Vesalainen is a nice tradepeace.

Because the Jets are going to be in a cap crunch and having a good young player on an ELC for the next 3 years will help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad