Speculation: Predicting who cracks the open roster spots

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Where do you get this from what I posted...did you read it?

Duclair and Buchnevich are "tweeners"?

Hayes and Miller are "tweeners"?

I really hate having to repeat myself. They have been able to identify and acquire solid talent despite not having a 1st in recent years. But a priority should be keeping future 1sts so they can draft a center with elite tools.

How does that relate to "better tank"? If they do their homework they can identify a center in the 20+ range.

Tweeners are by def, in between. I'm not sure y you overreacted by my post, but we haven't drafted a clear #1 center in my lifetime. While the hope is there that one can be found later in the draft, realistically it is difficult or close to impossible for this org. Until they do it just once, that's the stance I have to take unfortunately.

Of the 4 players you mentioned I don't have any idea of what they are. Do you? Miller is the only one to have played an NHL game yet.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Tweeners are by def, in between. I'm not sure y you overreacted by my post, but we haven't drafted a clear #1 center in my lifetime. While the hope is there that one can be found later in the draft, realistically it is difficult or close to impossible for this org. Until they do it just once, that's the stance I have to take unfortunately.

Of the 4 players you mentioned I don't have any idea of what they are. Do you? Miller is the only one to have played an NHL game yet.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I also feel like you're either my age or older. The Rangers have drafted 3 number 1 centers in my lifetime (I'm 31). Dave Gagner, who was drafted when I wasn't even a month old and his stint as number 1 came to an end pretty quickly when Modano came along. Difference between clear #1 and HoF player. Doug Weight. Marc Savard. So, the Rangers have drafted 3 clear number 1 centers in 31 years and none of them played that role with this team. That makes it even more frustrating, really. I think that's what you meant anyway.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
As for Hayes, I liked what I saw.

Big centers and power forwards take time to develop. I can go on and on naming late bloomers who were worth the wait.

Strength up the middle makes you a powerhouse----center, defense-goalie. In fact, you can be a powerhouse with centers and a star d-man with no goalie.

You will never be dominant without a star center. You might even need two.

Look at the last 40 years of Cup winners:

2014/2012-Kopitar/Carter
2013/2010-Toews
2011-Krejci/Bergeron
2009-Crosby/Malkin
2008-Zetterberg
2007-Getzlaf
2006-Staal
2004-Richards
2003- Trap
2002-Fedorov/Yzerman
2001-Sakic/Forsberg
2000-Trap
1999-Modano/Nieuwendyk
1997/1998-Yzerman/Fedorov
1996-Sakic/Forsberg
1995-Trap
1994-Messier
1993-Muller
1991/1992-Crybaby Sr./Francis
1990-Messier
1989-Nieuwendyk/Gilmour
1984/85/87/88-Gretzky-Messier
1986-Smith
1980-1984-Trottier/Goring
1976-1979-Lemaire (didn't matter)
1974-75-Clarke/Macleish

Only the sucker-ass, trap-happy, destroy-hockey Devils won Cups without a dominant center.

That's why moving MSL to center is a joke, even for a month.

That's like asking Melo to play point guard or JPP to play linebacker or Texeira to play SS.

Two fundamentally different positions which takes years to master just one.

MSL didn't even play center at UVM. Eric Perrin did.

I am too lazy to go through it, but I would guess lots of those teams had a star on each wing and a star dman.

Goring was good but never a star, and I loved the guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad