Speculation: Predicting who cracks the open roster spots

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I 100% agree with you...which begs the question why is he still up? Unless they want him to get the shoulder treated in NY.

Hayes looks pretty good. I just wanna see more. If he cant, send him to Hartford. If he seems overwhelmed, send him to Hartford. But with Step out, this is an opportunity to see Hayes in real NHL games.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
If you are rolling Lee Stempniak, Dominic Moore, and Ryan Malone as your 4th line... And you are rolling Marc Staal and Dan Boyle as your 2nd pair... You are a deep hockey team. The Rangers are going to be causing matchup problems all over the place. So pumped to see this team get to it on Thurs.

mti79

May 11, 2007
Kreider-Brass-MZA
Duclair-MSL-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-Fast
Glass/Malone-Moore-Stempniak

Did I miss someone? I don't hate it

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Duclair with Brass/MZA? That line seems to lack size but has a ton of skill

I know that Poo gave that trio some size last year, but it was his skill level and vision that helped make that line go. I don't think Kreider fits the bill for LW on the Brass-Zuke combo, he's not that type of player. They need another guy with some finesse.

Kreider - Marty - Nash
Duke - Brass - Zuke (BRADZOOKS!)
Hags - Miller - Hayes/Fast
Malone - Moore - Stemps

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I think Duclair gets 9 games and heads to juniors unless he is near spectacular.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think Duclair gets 9 games and heads to juniors unless he is near spectacular.

That's what i think. Especially since Stepan will return soon thereafter. It makes sense forward-wise on the roster. Duclair can get his earned cup of tea, Stepan rejoins the team after 7-12 games - probably right around 9 to 11 when Duclair gets sent back. Then they can shuffle the wingers around and get St. Louis back where he should be. Then Duclair can go back to the Q, dominate and get his Memorial Cup.

The wildcard here is what happens if Duclair continues to finish like he did in the preseason and youre instantly looking at a Calder candidate with 4 goals, 3 assists in his first 8 games? Tough decision then. If he proves he can play in the regular season it might not be the best for his development to go back to a lower level.

Rangers management would know best imo. I think they know what they want to do already. 82 games + playoffs, traveling all around, against men (some twice his age) is a long, grueling season for a 19 year old forward.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

bingo.

he earned it. hell get his shot. what kind of message would it send otherwise.

unless he goes crazy and scores 5 goals in 9 games or something, hell head back to juniors.

either way, hes proven to me hes a player.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Why 9? Why not 10? Or 12?

Or until he's not effective...

Or for that matter 5 games--lots of coaches think in 5 game segments. I'm sure one "bad game won't be a ticket back to Juniors, but AV has said over and over during training camp that he was looking for improvement each game. I'm sure each game Tony D plays will be broken down by the coaching staff and there will be a list of things that need improvement. If he can work that list down, he stays, if it keeps growing....

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why 9? Why not 10? Or 12?

Or until he's not effective...

Well, people keep saying 9, but the number is really 10 from what I understand. Duclair can play 10 games at the NHL level without his contract officially counting against our 50 contract limit. If he plays 11 games, then it's almost like he "vests"; his contract is definitely counted against the 50.

I think it's largely irrelevant now that we freed up a spot with the Yogan/Kampfer deal putting us at 49, but that's why people are saying 9 or 10 games.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Or 11.

I think you understand what I attempted to say.

He is headed back unless he is too good to send back.

Yes I do. But people keep on bringing up 9 games. The fact is with a year already burned, it allows the team to do a more honest assessment of his game, whether it be game to game or on regular intervals. Without being restricted by a deadline.

It's a very good thing that they don't have to worry about that aspect.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well, people keep saying 9, but the number is really 10 from what I understand. Duclair can play 10 games at the NHL level without his contract officially counting against our 50 contract limit. If he plays 11 games, then it's almost like he "vests"; his contract is definitely counted against the 50.

I think it's largely irrelevant now that we freed up a spot with the Yogan/Kampfer deal putting us at 49, but that's why people are saying 9 or 10 games.

People use 9 games as the mark because of the rule about burning a year on the ELC. 10 or more burns a year. But in Duclair's case, he burns a year either way, so it is irrelevant. He will be here as long as he continues to show that he belongs here, same as any other player.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Honestly, I think 40 games is more important. After that, regardless of whether Tony D ends the season with the Rangers, he becomes a UFA a year earlier at age 26. The contract issue is solved, the 40 game number is set in stone.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
Honestly, I think 40 games is more important. After that, regardless of whether Tony D ends the season with the Rangers, he becomes a UFA a year earlier at age 26. The contract issue is solved, the 40 game number is set in stone.

Disagree. If he can help you win now, you ignore that 40 game number and keep letting him play. You worry about the contract issue then, not now

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I have yet to see a convincing explanation on the topic of the 50 contract limit and when he actually counts. My feeling is that if the Rangers made this trade today, it means that the front office concluded that Duclair counts starting tomorrow at 5.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Disagree. If he can help you win now, you ignore that 40 game number and keep letting him play. You worry about the contract issue then, not now

I'm not suggesting sending him back to Juniors after 39 games regardless of his play--just suggesting there is plenty of time to make the decision. The roster and the lineup are still in flux, there's a lot that can change over the first 10 games and then Stepan will be coming back, which means more adjustments after that. We could see something quite different by then.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
In a way, it's almost nice that the financial implications are out of the picture since Duclair's contract slides regardless.

Now it will be a 100% hockey decision. Not that the Rangees tend to pinch pennies. But still, it's almost good from a hockey and development standpoint that that is out of the way.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Why would we send Duclair back? We are using a year of his ELC regardless. I'd rather see what we can get out of him instead of wasting a year so he can dominate a bunch of kids.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad