Speculation: Predicting who cracks the open roster spots

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
In my eyes I'd like to see some kids make the line up Miller IMO needs to stay up with the club this whole season and I like fast and linberg but let's be honest if a kid like Hayes who's listed at 6'5" and 215(?) can make the line up that's nothing but good news in my book because the spots open are technically bottom six so the minutes can be sheltered if need be. Let's just see the insight other fans got. LETS HEAR IT WHO CRACKS A SPOT.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
I believe there are 3 forward spots open. 3rd line rw, 3rd line c and 4th line rw

tanner glass will be on the team as the 4th line lw. I believe JT Miller wins the 3rd line C job. Lee Stempniak gets the 3rd line RW job and Matt Lombardi wins the 4th line rw job.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here is the way I see it:

Locks (roster just for conversation):
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
_____-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-______-MSL
______-Moore-______
______

People fighting for spots who have the highest chance:
Glass
Lombardi
Stempniak
Miller

Hayes
Haggerty
Kristo
Fast
Lindberg
Bourque
Hrivik

5 spots with (3) competent (or not so competent) NHLers fighting it out.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
______-Klein
______

Fighting for these spots:
McIlrath
Allen
Moore
Kostka

Bodie
Hunwick

Most likely, one of Hunwick/Kostka make the team as the #7. That leaves the rest to fight for #6, although I think Moore is a near lock.

Bold is who I think makes the team

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm gonna say Miller 3rd line C and Fast 4th line RW. Stempniak 3rd line RW. Lombardi spare.

Kreider, Stepan, MSL, Nash, Brassard ,Zuccarello, Hagelin, Glass, Moore the other F.

D and G are obvious. Kostka 7th D

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Here is the way I see it:

Locks (roster just for conversation):
Kreider-Stepan-Nash
_____-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-______-MSL
______-Moore-______
______

People fighting for spots who have the highest chance:
Glass
Lombardi
Stempniak
Miller

Hayes
Haggerty
Kristo
Fast
Lindberg
Bourque
Hrivik

5 spots with (3) competent (or not so competent) NHLers fighting it out.

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
______-Klein
______

Fighting for these spots:
McIlrath
Allen
Moore
Kostka

Bodie
Hunwick

Most likely, one of Hunwick/Kostka make the team as the #7. That leaves the rest to fight for #6, although I think Moore is a near lock.

Bold is who I think makes the team

Agree with you 100%

Here's where I think the forwards fit in

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hayes-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Lombardi-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
However, I wouldn't be surprised if Stempniak is dropped to the 4th line, that Hrivik gives him a real solid run for his money as a 4th line wing. Strong on his skates. Solid board play. Underrated hockey IQ, good defensively.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Miller and Hayes are the odds on favorite and are likely to make it sooner than later.

I would also like to see Fast and McIlrath make it. McIlrath would add size and snarl that this team is missing. Fast would give us an additional speedy option up front, making us probably the fastest team in the league.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Agree with you 100%

Here's where I think the forwards fit in

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hayes-Brassard-MZA
Hagelin-Miller-MSL
Lombardi-Moore-Stempniak
Glass

Dont have a big tough 4th line, especially if we take Glass out. People will probably complain about that. That said, if Hayes Lombo and Miller dont disappoint, Kreider and Stepan keep trending upwards, Nash bounces back, and MSL and Moore dont decline, this could be one of the best rangers teams in a long time. The depth is actually incredible.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not sure what to expect of Hayes. Some people assume he's ready right now, and others say that he's quite a bit away.

I think Miller would have to really fail to not win a spot, most likely 3C. Aside from him, I'd be kind of surprised if other prospects made the team over the vet options.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Miller and Hayes are the odds on favorite and are likely to make it sooner than later.

I would also like to see Fast and McIlrath make it. McIlrath would add size and snarl that this team is missing. Fast would give us an additional speedy option up front, making us probably the fastest team in the league.
mcilrath has a ways to go

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
mcilrath has a ways to go

Not really. He had minor, fixable skating issues, but if he worked on it this summer, he is very close to being ready. If anyone could benefit from Barbara Underhill or another figure skating coach, it's McIlrath.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Not really. He had minor, fixable skating issues, but if he worked on it this summer, he is very close to being ready. If anyone could benefit from Barbara Underhill or another figure skating coach, it's McIlrath.
i admit im not high on him since he hasnt impressed as a former top 10 pick but i am rooting for him. Im more high on skjei

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Dont have a big tough 4th line, especially if we take Glass out. People will probably complain about that. That said, if Hayes Lombo and Miller dont disappoint, Kreider and Stepan keep trending upwards, Nash bounces back, and MSL and Moore dont decline, this could be one of the best rangers teams in a long time. The depth is actually incredible.

I wouldn't say we need a tough fourth line but a strong one. Constantly strong board game dump and chase strong checking fourth line. I would take that any day over a physically guys who want to fight all the time fourth line

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
People keep reminding me that "it takes longer for defensemen to develop," "defensemen hit their prime later than forwards and play longer," and "look at Pronger/Chara/Weber."

Assuming those statements are true, MacIlrath is going to be awesome when he makes the team in his 30's!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
People keep reminding me that "it takes longer for defensemen to develop," "defensemen hit their prime later than forwards and play longer," and "look at Pronger/Chara/Weber."

Assuming those statements are true, MacIlrath is going to be awesome when he makes the team in his 30's!

When was the last time you saw him play? Because it's these comments that I believe lead to people being down on him for no reason

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
When was the last time you saw him play? Because it's these comments that I believe lead to people being down on him for no reason

Aside from the YouTube videos people refer to, not much.

From watching the NHL for a long time, remembering the hype I've heard about prospects from many teams, and looking at Hockey's future doesn't even have him as our top defensive prospect lead me to believe that his chances of becoming an impact player are growing slim.

I haven't purchased hockey streams, so I haven't watched the full Hartford season, so take it for what it's worth.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Let me point out (again) that everyone who doesn't watch Hartford thinks McIlrath sucks, and everyone who does watch Hartford thinks he's just fine.

Personally I think having McIlrath in the lineup for the playoffs will be crucial to a long run. This team is soft. If we don't add a nutcracker like McIlrath, we will lose in the first or second round.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Let me point out (again) that everyone who doesn't watch Hartford thinks McIlrath sucks, and everyone who does watch Hartford thinks he's just fine.

Personally I think having McIlrath in the lineup for the playoffs will be crucial to a long run. This team is soft. If we don't add a nutcracker like McIlrath, we will lose in the first or second round.
like this year?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Assuming Glass has a spot locked up, John Moore is re-signed, and they carry an extra forward and D (they shouldn't), my best guesses:

UHab5XP.png

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012

i never said he sucked. Im a big fan of his but i try to be fair. Fans have a right to be a Bit impatient since he was a top 10 pick four years ago. We didnt lose to the kings because of lack of toughness. We just didnt get the puck luck they did. Also refs made very questionable calls against us

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'd be fine with McIlrath on the team, but as long as Klein is, it will be tough to find room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad