Sens Shot Predicting the Opening Day Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sure, but that could be said for every single team. Not every 1st rounder or draft pick will work out, and it's unrealistic to expect them to.

Remember when Boston draft Senyshyn and Zboril right before Chabot, Barzal and Connor were taken?
Every team also gets some hits. Where not really uniquely good or bad at drafting and development over the last decade or so though that may be changing with Mann

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
And people laughed at the Bruins and their management for selecting these players. In Ottawa, if a player doesn't succeed, we always blame the player and vilify the portion of the fanbase that criticizes management or our lack of a scouting staff.

So you'll blame management for failures but not give them credit for Karlsson, Stone, Chabot, Tkachuk, etc?

Drafting isn't a science. In general, we've been pretty good at it, over the history of this franchise.

And in fairness, when it comes to someone like L.Brown, he was considered a big risk with lots of question marks when he was drafted. They took a gamble on his upside, but it shouldn't be a huge surprise that it's gone the way it has. A lot of people questioned whether he'd be able to translate his game to the NHL.

We sometimes criticize the team for being too "safe". Well Brown certainly was a swing for the fences type pick, and those don't always work out.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Can someone just please respond to me with “obviously we can have brown AND chlapik on the taxi squad don’t you remember Edmonton????” So I can just rest easier

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So you'll blame management for failures but not give them credit for Karlsson, Stone, Chabot, Tkachuk, etc?

Drafting isn't a science. In general, we've been pretty good at it, over the history of this franchise.

No, I'm just saying you have to take the good with yhe bad, i literally said we are aberage all considered. If you only look at stone Hoffman and Karlsson, we look great but you miss the forest among the trees.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
No, I'm just saying you have to take the good with yhe bad, i literally said we are aberage all considered. If you only look at stone Hoffman and Karlsson, we look great but you miss the forest among the trees.

There are some debatable points with their methodology, but Hockey Writers ranked us as the best drafting team between 08-17: https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-ranking-decade-draft-results/

So I certainly don't think I'm missing by saying we're in the upper tier.

Reactions: Xspyrit

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So, what you are saying is that when a player fails, its the players fault, but when a prospect succeeds, we need to immediately pat management on the back?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I’m assuming the Taxi Squad is just an extension of your NHL roster, so no waivers are required for guys on a 1 way contract whereas they’d have to go through waivers to be brought up from the AHL?

Anybody who is waiver eligible needs to go through the waiver process before they can be placed on the taxi squad. So if Chlapik is to replace Galchenyuk, for example, then Gally needs to go through waivers and clear before he is in the taxi.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
So, what you are saying is that when a player fails, its the players fault, but when a prospect succeeds, we need to immediately pat management on the back?

No I'm saying it's a combination of factors. Nuance is our friend.

I won't hail management too as geniuses when guys like Karlsson and Chabot become stars, but I also won't call them incompetent when someone like Brown or Lazar busts.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
No I'm saying it's a combination of factors. Nuance is our friend.

I won't hail management too as geniuses when guys like Karlsson and Chabot become stars, but I also won't call them incompetent when someone like Brown or Lazar busts.
My point was re: Logan Brown. The player seems to be taking a HUGE amount of heat for not living up to expectations, my question was, at what point do we place some blame on coaching and management? They have to be somewhat accountable? They did burn an asset to trade up to draft him.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
My point was re: Logan Brown. The player seems to be taking a HUGE amount of heat for not living up to expectations, my question was, at what point do we place some blame on coaching and management? They have to be somewhat accountable? They did burn an asset to trade up to draft him.

For Logan Brown specifically, he's taking heat because the questions and concerns about his style of play and compete level when he was an 18-year old draft pick are the exact same as they are today, 4 years later.

He hasn't addressed any of his weaknesses. And from an external point of view, any player that seemingly lacks pace and intensity will be criticized. These are things that don't require natural talent, they're pure effort.

If I was a 6'6, 230lbs center that was in a make-or-break year, I'd go out there and throw some hits. Play defense as hard as I could. That may not be "my game", but at some point, you have to change your game to make it.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I dunno...Galchenyuk was brought in to improve a woeful powerplay and is signed for one year, so that spot should be Formenton's after this year. Dorion beefed up a bit to insulate the rooks, but even then Gudbranson is only signed for one year (although I could see him re-signing) and then Reilly will be gone, and Coburn.

Soon the other guys we're excited about will either make it or bust out, but there's gonna be room.

And I think C brown with Tkachuk and Norris would have been a decent idea, even if it means moving Batherson down to 3rd line (whatever that really means lol)

I'll be concerned though if we start seeing 10 minutes or lower for the young kids. Let them play!

One of the problems I have with Galchenyuk, and I have a few, is that if he's supposed to be used on the PP to help, then why is Logan Brown sent sown to the minors? Logan Brown is capable of helping a PP just as much, if not more than, Gally. I mean I'd rather have the 22 year old 6'6 center with terrific vision play over the 26 year old who's clinging to an NHL career. The Brown scenario has outcomes that play into the long term success of the team. One year contract UFA Galchenyuk is unlikely to have any long term impact.

Plus Gally's the 13th forward right now. Hard to help the PP from there.

But giving Logan Brown 3 weeks of doing nothing will surely teach him to work harder!! Maybe one day he'll even work as hard as noted machine Alex Galchenyuk.

Baffling.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Brown should have been kept as the 13th forward at least (and I'm not even a huge fan of his). Give him some playing time with Nick Paul and Watson. Maybe their work ethic will rub off. Also give him 2nd unit PP time so he can play some with good offensive players. Maybe he works his way up the lineup after a while. There's no reason, in a nothing season, that guys like Paquette, Watson and Anisimov can't rotate in and out of the lineup for a player we've invested so much in.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
yup, 22 years old now. oh well he had his chance. good riddance you point per game, offensive wizard, 6'6" bum.
This is the best spot for him now. He needs to play and progress a bit more and avoid injuries. that's all, and then he's on the team.
What on earth are you talking about? Lol. I just said I had high hopes for him and that time is running out for him to make it to the NHL? Calm down.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
What on earth are you talking about? Lol. I just said I had high hopes for him and that time is running out for him to make it to the NHL? Calm down.
No YOU calm down. Come on man let's go! (I was calm the whole time ;) )
Maybe you haven't noticed though....people are over reacting a bit to the whole logan brown thing. When it shouldn't really be a thing talking about this 21 year old, now 22.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
One of the problems I have with Galchenyuk, and I have a few, is that if he's supposed to be used on the PP to help, then why is Logan Brown sent sown to the minors? Logan Brown is capable of helping a PP just as much, if not more than, Gally. I mean I'd rather have the 22 year old 6'6 center with terrific vision play over the 26 year old who's clinging to an NHL career. The Brown scenario has outcomes that play into the long term success of the team. One year contract UFA Galchenyuk is unlikely to have any long term impact.

Plus Gally's the 13th forward right now. Hard to help the PP from there.

But giving Logan Brown 3 weeks of doing nothing will surely teach him to work harder!! Maybe one day he'll even work as hard as noted machine Alex Galchenyuk.

Baffling.

Because they're using Galchenyuk on the wing and Brown is a C (is my guess). I haven't seen the taxi squad yet. Is Brown on it? That will mean that at least he can be inserted when we play back to backs or if there are injuries. Again though, these are character building moments. Is he frustrated? Sure. Should he be? Probably. Will he get a chance soon? Probably and he has to make the most of it, especially with Stepan and Anisimov expiring after this year. There's a HUGE opening, play well when called upon and you'll make it long term. Dog it or complain and you're gone.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Because they're using Galchenyuk on the wing and Brown is a C (is my guess). I haven't seen the taxi squad yet. Is Brown on it? That will mean that at least he can be inserted when we play back to backs or if there are injuries. Again though, these are character building moments. Is he frustrated? Sure. Should he be? Probably. Will he get a chance soon? Probably and he has to make the most of it, especially with Stepan and Anisimov expiring after this year. There's a HUGE opening, play well when called upon and you'll make it long term. Dog it or complain and you're gone.
Brown's not on it.

Haley, Chlapik and Peca are the forwards

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

There was an opening this year and they brought in Paquette and Stepan. Who's to say they won't make similar acquisitions next year? There's very little to suggest that they won't in fact.

Brown's not on it.

Haley, Chlapik and Peca are the forwards

Because it's important for Michael Haley's development to practice with the main team for the next three weeks obviously.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I thought so, so he'll be playing in the AHL with Mann, which is good. So, hopefully he can work hard and get the call and show what he can do.
It's going to be more difficult for that to happen than in years previous, guys called up from the AHL need a week quarantine period before they an join the Taxi squad even I believe.

Brown may get called up at the deadline, but it's not going to be very easy to get him into games without planning ahead extensively. We won't be able to get him in due to injuries or as reward as we normally would

AHL is a month away, he's not going to play in games for another 25 or so days, and that's if there is no delays.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Wow. I really hoped Logan Brown could pull it together. What doesn't this kid understand? This may well be his last chance to make the NHL.
I'm sure he will get a chance with a team that knows how to deploy players

Reactions: Xspyrit

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I thought so, so he'll be playing in the AHL with Mann, which is good. So, hopefully he can work hard and get the call and show what he can do.

Come on man, or Mann. :D He's shown the AHL what he can do. In a normal season I'd be fine with sending him to the AHL if DJ didn't think he was good enough to play. I wouldn't necessarily make the same decision as the coach as to who stays and who goes but I'd be fine with him going to the AHL to start the season.

But this isn't a normal season. With the AHL not starting for at least three weeks he would be a great candidate for the taxi squad. But instead Logan Shaw and Michael Haley need to stay sharp and get NHL coaching? Yeesh.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Come on man, or Mann. :D He's shown the AHL what he can do. In a normal season I'd be fine with sending him to the AHL if DJ didn't think he was good enough to play. I wouldn't necessarily make the same decision as the coach as to who stays and who goes but I'd be fine with him going to the AHL to start the season.

But this isn't a normal season. With the AHL not starting for at least three weeks he would be a great candidate for the taxi squad. But instead Logan Shaw and Michael Haley need to stay sharp and get NHL coaching? Yeesh.

I agree that Brown and Brann should have been on the taxi squad at least until something is going on with the AHL - who knows , maybe the AHL is skating ? I doubt they are doing nothing.

Last edited:

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's going to be more difficult for that to happen than in years previous, guys called up from the AHL need a week quarantine period before they an join the Taxi squad even I believe.

Brown may get called up at the deadline, but it's not going to be very easy to get him into games without planning ahead extensively. We won't be able to get him in due to injuries or as reward as we normally would

AHL is a month away, he's not going to play in games for another 25 or so days, and that's if there is no delays.

Ugh, that's brutal! Why isn't he on the taxi squad then?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Yeah, agreed with this. Except for the shown what he can do in the AHL. Yes, he's done well in the AHL, but he's only played the equivalent of a season - give or take. But with the AHL not starting for a month, he should be on the taxi squad. What a dumb thing to do on our part!

Reactions: Alf Silfversson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad