Speculation: Predicting the Opening Day Lineup - PART 2

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Lol why does he make statements like this? I like DJ, I think he's great, but I'm sure he'll have a shelf life as well. Maybe he's trying to instill some confidence and support for his coach who's relatively unproven? I really can't think of any reason saying stuff like this is necessary.

Dorion simply has to stop making dramatic, hyperbolic statements; its pointless and only hurts his reputation.

For example after trading Stone, Dorion would have had alot more sympathy from the fans if he came out and said, for example: "this was probably the most difficult day of my life, but decisions had to be made".

As opposed to what we all know he said by now and would rather not repeat it.

Last edited:

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion simply has to stop making dramatic, hyperbolic statements; is pointless and only hurts his reputation.

For example after trading Stone, Dorio would have had alot more sympathy from the fans if he came out and said, for example: "this was probably the most difficult day of my life, but decisions had to be made".

As opposed to what we all know he said by now and would rather not repeat it.
Dorion is a walking talking r/agedlikemilk submission

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Lol why does he make statements like this? I like DJ, I think he's great, but I'm sure he'll have a shelf life as well. Maybe he's trying to instill some confidence and support for his coach who's relatively unproven? I really can't think of any reason saying stuff like this is necessary.

I think it might be because he cannot think of the appropriate things he should say. Goes overboard for every new coach and his views prior to each season.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Boucher got us to the ECF

DJ gonna get us to 2022
I would take bets on that. If things go poorly this year, there's no way Melnyk won't look for a scapegoat. I'd hope his Pina Colada fueled rage would be directed at Dorion but I'm sure Dorion will be able to say he gave DJ all the players he wanted and that its his fault.

I get the sense from listening to the coach and GM talk that they do not expect to be back where they've been for the past 3 years.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I would take bets on that. If things go poorly this year, there's no way Melnyk won't look for a scapegoat. I'd hope his Pina Colada fueled rage would be directed at Dorion but I'm sure Dorion will be able to say he gave DJ all the players he wanted and that its his fault.

I get the sense from listening to the coach and GM talk that they do not expect to be back where they've been for the past 3 years.
What's giving you the impression that Melnyk would fire DJ Smith if we finish near the bottom again? Pierre even gave the typical "It's not so much about wins and points as it is playing well" response when asked what a successful season will look like, which is another way to say "we're not making the playoffs".

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Wolanin may have a realistic chance of being in the starting lineup. This is the best outcome for me in this lineup. Being paired with Zaitsev isn't great . I would have preferred seeing him with Brown.
I am also happy Norris is getting a chance on the top line. I hope he stays healthy and fairs better than White did when he was thrust in that role last year. We had some high hopes for White , although we knew he was over his head,, that is one tough spot to play vs the quality in this league.
Reilly may lose a spot to Coburn. I think I'd rather see him in over Coburn to have a pmd on every pair.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Asking this question because I'm just hoping our coach didn't become insane this early, any chance white is injured?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Tkachuk - Norris - Dadonov
Stuetzle - Stepan - Brown
Paul - Tierny - Batherson
Paquette - Anisimov - Watson/White/Galchenyuk

Chabot - Gudbranson
Wolanin - Zaitsev
Coburn - J. Brown/Reilly

Murray - Hogberg

Taxi Squad: Chlapik, Peca, Haley, Zub, Aspirot, Daccord

- I'm quite sure that the taxi squad could change throughout the season & if the Belleville Sens play in Ottawa there will be even more changes & callups.
- I also expect that we should see a few trades between now & the trade deadline, Ottawa has 9 UfAs who could be traded although I would not expect all 9 to be traded. There could also be a couple guys traded who are not UFAs, we already have a few possibilities.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't disagree with what you're saying but at the same time we've seen many teams take that route successfully in the last few years. Boston, LA and St-Louis always had ''tougher'' teams and were very hard to play against. Some other teams like CBJ and NYI have also seen success with that style of play even though they haven't necessarily won the cup. I would say that these teams likely took more penalties than others but it never stopped them from being successful. I also think that playing physical and on the edge will often generate penalties from opposing teams as they get frustrated of getting hammered all night without it generating PP time for them. Obviously, and as you mention, these teams also have a lot of talent but their motto was having guys that play the right way and that play hard every game and the talent will inevitably show itself within that system. Talented players are talented players, even if we play a different style we will still see that talent on a nightly basis (EX: Barzal in NYI). Some of the ''tougher'' guys will get pushed out in the next year or will have reduced roles on the team with the younger guys taking on more resposibilities. This year is still a rebuilding year and looking at Montreal for example... We know they'll be hard to play against and we need to have that feisty element to ensure that the younger guys play freely, at least until they establish themselves and their confidence. Once that confidence is obtained and the playing style desired by DJ Smith is clearly understood, I think we will see less of these goons in primary roles (ex: Gudbranson).

I look at our roster and I think there is a very good balance of skill and grit. Norris, Tkachuk, Stutzle, Batherson are all very talented players that play hard. You have Chabot, Wolanin, Brannstrom and Dadonov who are also some of those skilled guys, although they might not play just as hard as others do. Then adding guys like Formenton, Pinto and Sanderson towards the end of the year will definitely add to that group of players I just mentionned, guys that play hard and are skilled at the same time.

I think people are a bit too carried away this season. I think the addition of Murray, Dadonov and then some other guys gave the fanbase a sense of false hope that we'll be a great team this season and IMO that's not what'll happen.

Good post, thank you

I think this is what I have a problem with the most. Please explain me why we are not the youngest NHL team. Rangers, Devils, Kings and Avs are the youngest teams

I understand that you can't just throw young players to the wolves. I totally agree that you need veterans to surround them. But the question is why so many? You will tell me "covid, injuries", which I am also aware but is it not why there is a taxi squad this year? Let young guys play and if things go bad, then play those cheap 2-way veterans (like Peca, Shaw, Haley, etc)

I don't think all hope is lost because we certainly have some very good pieces (Tkachuk, Stutzle, Chabot, Sanderson, Murray, Norris, Batherson, Pinto, Formenton). I just don't know if there is a plan or faith in anybody else, well maybe outside recent draftees as it's still very early

I guess we'll see but IMO their desire to compete is a bit premature and it all it could do is backfire.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Last 2-3 years about trading guys and drafting guys ... this year and next year about player pro development ... no point in getting overly critical ... it should be about supporting coach/players in development ... clearly your owner does not want blowouts so he added vets to ensure games are very competitive ... you have got great pieces now even ones you are criticizing who need a couple years to grow ... Norris and Batherson will produce right away and they will surprise most of you but they will be negative on +/- ... your 2nd and 3rd lines will play even hockey ... and your 4th line will create some resistance but likely a negative overall ... bottom line goaler will win you some games and team will be 6th or 7th place but a lot closer to pack than people think

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I saw Tkachuk and Batherson out with Stepan on a few shifts. It looked promising. I could see Norris and Stepan changing lines here and there.
Norris was having a tough time winning draws. The line juggling was probably just a way to try to win some faceoffs and gain possession of the puck before getting Norris back out there.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Norris was having a tough time winning draws. The line juggling was probably just a way to try to win some faceoffs and gain possession of the puck before getting Norris back out there.

Stepan was 74% on faceoffs and Norris 25% last night -

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What is this current strength? Please enlighten me. And please spare the "tough to play against" line. Guys like Matthews, Marner, Pastarnak, etc. aren't going "uh oh, here come the Ottawa Senators, they are gonna be tough to play against"!!

In reality, these guys are pumped to play against out defence because its a great opportunity to pad some stats.

Well, i opened this thread which takes me to where i left off.

This post aged well. Stats night. I think thus morning they are counting bruises, not points

Reactions: HSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad