Speculation: Predicting the Opening Day Lineup - PART 2

orkid

Jun 25, 2014
Just wanted to share this gem from Garrioch's latest.

"On with the show this is it.

The Ottawa Senators training camp has come to a close and when they gather Thursday at the Canadian Tire Centre to prepare to face the Toronto Maple Leafs Friday night the focus will turn to preparing in earnest for the first two rounds of the Battle of Ontario which will continue Saturday."

Read that sentence out loud. This is a professional journalist of 20+ years.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa

The Ottawa Senators training camp has come to a close and when they gather Thursday at the Canadian Tire Centre to prepare to face the Toronto Maple Leafs Friday night the focus will turn to preparing in earnest for the first two rounds of the Battle of Ontario which will continue Saturday."

BRÜCE

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020

He is a frustratingly poor writer for a professional. Many times over the past years I have had to re-read his run-on and flighty sentences to figure out what he is trying to say.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012

A whole paragraph of nothing

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
And isn’t it only 1 team from each division?? Like do we think we can be that one team. Why all the vets.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Neither one of those words apply to Garrioch. He's a muck-raking columnist.

Reactions: Imnotagoodposter

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
Are people really complaining that Haley is on the taxi squad instead of a young player? I doubt Chlapik is up for long, he likely gets rewarded with a few nights stay in the Pan Pacific in Vancouver following his two goal scrimmage game, then gets replaced with Shaw.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Are people really complaining that Haley is on the taxi squad instead of a young player? I doubt Chlapik is up for long, he likely gets rewarded with a few nights stay in the Pan Pacific in Vancouver following his two goal scrimmage game, then gets replaced with Shaw.
Yes I am complaining about Hailey. They could of put a guy who can play hockey like Shaw,Bishop or Beaudin instead because you know there will be injury and a lot of covid case. I understand your point but I just don’t see why they will dress Hailey here and there when they can put a guy like Logan Shaw instead!

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Yes I am complaining about Hailey. They could of put a guy who can play hockey like Shaw,Bishop or Beaudin instead because you know there will be injury and a lot of covid case. I understand your point but I just don’t see why they will dress Hailey here and there when they can put a guy like Logan Shaw instead!

Hard to take your ranting seriously when you know so little about the player that you can't even spell his name correctly.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I guess we’re going to see a lot of 4F 1D power plays - Chabot for 1:20 and Wolanin/Z for :40 ? Any thoughts ? I wonder if Stüzle sees any time at LD on the PP.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Hard to take your ranting seriously when you know so little about the player that you can't even spell his name correctly.
Sorry. I had Hailey Salvian in my head. I know it’s Michael Haley. We all make typing mistake.

Edit: my autocorrect put Sullivan lol!

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Having Haley on the taxi squad is far from a problem. It's exactly the type of players that should be there. If anything, they should have more of these on 2-way contracts that wouldn't be picked up on waivers, instead of too many vets blocking the way and forcing us to lose Balcers and even risking to lose Chlapik on waivers as well. I mean, losing Balcers and Chlapik is not the end of the world, but I'd raher have young cheap players with room to grow to close out the roster rather than guys with no future on the Sens.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
The problem with Haley on the taxi squad is that there is a good chance we'll see him with the big club. I have zero appetite seeing Haley playing for the Sens.

Reactions: Matsens15

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I'm sorry, but we need to be realistic here. This roster is not good. I gave it all offseason, but we ended up with very little talent to show for a whole lot of movement. Shuffling deck chairs on the titanic. This isn't entirely the fault of management or ownership but they own a big portion of this failure. We were set up to perform better last year and we finished among the worst teams in the league. Almost nothing about this roster has improved and there doesn't seem to be any plan to get better.

Forwards:

IN: Stepan, Dadonov, Stutzle Paquete, Watson, Galchenyuk
OUT: Pageau, Ryan, Duclair, Namestnikov, Ennis

Stepan and Ryan are both washed. Pageau and Dodonov are both solid. Name/Ennis are just as good as Paqueette/Watson. Galchenyk didn't even make the full roster. Stutzle aside, the second group has more talent and is about the same age. Stutzle is obviously be an upgrade on Duclair, but Duclair had a rock solid season and we were terrible. Stutzle has to get almost 30 goals just to replace his production. I don't see much improvement here, just a lot of hopes and wishes that Norris and Batherson will be better than last year.

Defensemen:

IN: Gudbranson, Brown, Zub
OUT: Hainsey, Demelo, Borowiecki

Hainsey had age limitations, but Gubbranson has mobility limitations himself. We'll be better on the PK with Gudbranson and Brown's size, but Demelo is better than Brown at almost all other aspects of the game. I honestly think this is a wash talent-wise. Hopefully Wolanin steps up big comping off injury because our left side is atrocious. We actually have less depth than last year. Maybe Zub is a hidden gem or something.

We didn't get any good reclamation projects. I'm holding out hope for Zub. We took a gamble on Galchenyuk but he has looked like hot garbage and we lost a promising young player to waivers as a result. I'd like to say we should have just waived Galchenyuk, but Balcers wasn't great either.

White has regressed substantially. I was ready to give him a second chance, but reports from training camp and video shows that he has not been effective. He's probably going to get bought out in the offseason. Anisimov has fallen off so hard he didn't even make the roster with very little competition. Logan Brown is the same player he was 4 years ago and very likely doesn't have an NHL future. Brannstrom is starting the year in the AHL....again. Forever a year away. Murray is getting paid big money and has serious, career threatening, medical issues and is coming off a bad season.

I get that management is operating under some serious limitations and no one wants to come to Ottawa, but putting out a garbage product isn't going to help that. We had a great opportunity to improve the team with a once-in-a-lifetime offseason of cap-strapped teams and we ended up with Dadonov and Murray.

It would literally take a miracle for this team to be good. I'd love to say that they're improving, but they're objectively not.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

This can’t be real.

EDIT: It’s like losing your shit over red smarties being in your emergency kit’s trail mix supply, as opposed to orange ones.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

They probably have a role for Shaw in Belleville while they don't for Haley. So while Haley is chilling in the pressbox eating cornflakes for the entire season, Shaw, Beaudin and the other guy will probably be helping our younger guys in Belleville reach the playoffs and make a run.

DJ Smith also likes his hard working guys so I would not be surprised to see him play Haley and scratch a vet or a rookie that's not giving full effort to send a message. Much like he did last year with Sabourin. I bet Haley plays less than 5 games if he does in fact play at all. I don't really have an issue with Haley in the taxi squad because I want to see our better fringe players like Shaw in Belleville.

I'm convinced the addition of Haley is all DJ Smith. He wants this team to play balls to the wall every single game. We can say what we want about Haley but he is fearless. He's 5'11" and he plays hard every shift, he'll fight much bigger guys than him. He's not a great hockey player, but again his purpose here is not to play hockey - we all know he's not a NHL player and again it's pretty much the same situation as Sabourin. This is DJ Smith telling everyone on the team that the hardest working players will play and that hard work will always be rewarded. Skill is great but it absolutely needs to be in synch with hard work. No one in Ottawa will get the luxury to coast through games and take shifts off. I have no problems with that personally. It's about having a team culture where everyone is on the same page.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Wait. Did Abramov, sokolov, thomson make the team?

wait I think the person who tweeted just by chance chose these two pages of pictures

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This can’t be real.

EDIT: It’s like losing your shit over red smarties being in your emergency kit’s trail mix supply, as opposed to orange ones.
Being pissed over whether the sens win or lose is just as insignificant. You’re on a message board, lending serious time to commenting on them. You are part of this lmfao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad