Speculation: Predict Where The Oilers Finish in Their Division.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I;m going to say IMO the only thing I'm confident about is, Anaheim finishes first, and Arizona last...everything in between is a toss up really.
I voted Oil finish 3rd.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Don Maloney on next season: "We might have the youngest team in the history of mankind."

quite the hyperbole considering the Vets at C they have, but look at this line up :

Rieder(22)-Vermette(33)-Boedker(25)
M.Domi(20)-Hanzal(28)-A.Duclair(20)
Doan(38)-Richardson(30)-Downie(28)
Chipchura(29)-Gordon(31)-Vitale(30)
Cunningham(24)

OEL(24)-Michalek(32)
Dahlbeck(24)-Stone(25)
Grossmann(30)-Murphy(22)
Gormley(23)

Smith(33)
Lindback(27)

The Oilers can't finish 7th can they? ( this was a rhetorical question BTW)

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
I got it like this:

1) Anaheim
2) Calgary
3) Los Angeles
4) San Jose
5) Edmonton
6) Vancouver
7) Arizona

I think Anaheim and Calgary will be one and two easily. Edmonton fights it out with SJ and LA.
Oilers make a jump this year but miss the playoffs.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I think LA was an anomaly this year the same as Calgary was, just reversed. They will be back on top and Calgary will regress.

I think the Oil will finally start to make some moves and should make it to 4th.

Without the Sedins, Van doesn't have enough going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if SJ turns out to be last years Kings and falls out of the playoff race but it's also possible they still have enough team strength to make it to 3rd.

1. Los Angeles
2. Anaheim
3. San Jose
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary
6. Vancouver
7. Arizona

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I think LA was an anomaly this year the same as Calgary was, just reversed. They will be back on top and Calgary will regress.

I would normally agree with your assumption but not since Calgary traded and acquired Hamilton and signed Frolik. Calgary will finish even better this upcoming season than last.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
Arizona is the only sure thing. We should be better than Vancouver, but they always run a train on us every season. Realistically we should be competing with San Jose for their position.

Anaheim
LAK
Calgary
San Jose/Edmonton
Vancouver
Arizona

is how I see it going down. I'm an optimist so 4th

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
I would normally agree with your assumption but not since Calgary traded and acquired Hamilton and signed Frolik. Calgary will finish even better this upcoming season than last.

Yeah, you could very well be right.

My thoughts around them is they definitely over-excelled this season so there should be some regression there. I think they took some teams by surprise, built up some momentum and just kept rolling. They won't surprise anyone this time.
I don't expect their goalies to be as good at last year either.
Their 'kids' will/should have a reduction due to the 'jinx'.
The new players will need a little time to get adjusted.

If they make it two years in a row, I will consider them to be fairly legitimate. I just don't feel they're there yet.

I may be wrong and I guess we'll see.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Please Oilers.. just finish ahead of the Flames this year... thats all I ask really. I'm starting to get tired of Flame fans thinking their team is so much better than the Oilers.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I doubt the Oilers finish ahead of both Vancouver and San Jose, I'm guessing we pull off an 80 point season but only ahead of Arizona in our Div.

We have made improvements all over the organization and roster but we once again have a new coach and thus new systems, a bunch of new players and still a very young team.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think 5th. A lot of the things holding us back last year are removed. I don't think we get swept by Vancouver, Anaheim, Calgary, and Arizona again.

Anaheim easily takes the division again, I think Calgary/LA battle it out for 2/3, and there's a cluster for 4,5 and 6. I think we finish ahead of the Sharks but behind Vancouver. I don't think Martin Jones can carry that Sharks team any further than Niemi did.

All in all, the Pacific division outside of Anaheim is pretty weak. There's lots of uncertainty among the remaining teams (although it's certain Arizona will be awful) and I feel like things can go in so many directions.

At the very least, the Oilers should be a lot better against the West than 9-30-11. McLellan is 100x the coach Eakins was, the defense is improved (although how much remains to be seen) and putting a man with a vision in charge is sure to inspire some of the players that have seen the worst. I don't think it's enough to put us in a playoff spot but at the very least we should be talking about the playoffs as a possibility in January.

Eirhead*

The BoA will be a thing again only because Edmonton, the rightful heir to the throne, will spank them all season long. Lames fans will whine and try to start fights, and we'll piss em off by labelling Anaheim as our main rivalry. Edmonton 2nd place and we'll sweep the Lames first round.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

I think the Oil will finally start to make some moves and should make it to 4th.

Without the Sedins, Van doesn't have enough going on.

I wouldn't be surprised if SJ turns out to be last years Kings and falls out of the playoff race but it's also possible they still have enough team strength to make it to 3rd.

1. Los Angeles
2. Anaheim
3. San Jose
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary
6. Vancouver
7. Arizona

LA hasn't been a particularly good regular season team at any point. Even the years they won their cups.

In the west they were 8th, 5th, 6th and this past season 9th.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

Nah, I expect those acquisitions will simply stave off the inevitable regression and help Calgary stay about where they were: a bubble team. They'll still finish ahead of us, but it'l be a lot closer (no season series sweep I pray).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad