Speculation: Predict Where The Oilers Finish in Their Division.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think it is fair to play this game now, since most of the major draft and free agency moves have been done by teams. I can't see many people picking 1st or 2nd, but obviously I had to make every position available to choose from, since all are technically possible.

Where do they finish. Predict the entire division standings in your post if you're up to it.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'm going with 5th here. I can't see them finishing lower than 6th, or higher than 3rd. I basically see 3 tiers.

1. Anaheim
2. Calgary (gross)

3. Los Angeles
4. San Jose
5. Edmonton

6. Vancouver
7. Arizona

I do actually see it being SOMEWHAT realistic that Edmonton is better than one of San Jose or LA. However, beating out the Central teams for wildcard will be tough.

viran45

Apr 24, 2012
I think they will be ahead of Arizona and probably Vancouver. Hopefully close to San Jose.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think being competitive in 90% of the games is what i am really looking for...

No more, sad emotionless players on the ice getting lit up 5-0 in the first period.

All teams have an off night, but only the crappy teams make a habit of it.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Only team I'm confident enough to risk money on is Arizona.

I think both LA and Vancouver have potential to implode(nucks being MUCH more likely) but I'm not going to assume that they will.

Putting us ahead of Anaheim or SJ(why do people think these guys are bad?) is a gamble of hilariously long odds.

Not sure what Calgary will end up being but probably better than us.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
There's going to be some pretty tough competition in the Pacific this year. My guess:

1. Anaheim
2. Los Angeles
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. San Jose
6. Vancouver
7. Arizona

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Ask me in April.

That wouldn't be predicting. Where's the fun in that? :P

I think both LA and Vancouver have potential to implode(nucks being MUCH more likely) but I'm not going to assume that they will.

Putting us ahead of Anaheim or SJ(why do people think these guys are bad?) is a gamble of hilariously long odds.

Good group of players but they can't seem to get it together. If they could move Thornton and Marleau now without touching anyone else, they could re-tool pretty quickly.

Their goaltending is just as questionable as ours right now too.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I am feeling optimistic atm. 3rd. After Anaheim and LA, and before Calgary :P and SJ.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I went with 4, but damn I forgot about the potential of LA losing more players due to stupidity.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Blah. I say we finish ahead of Calgary. There's good stats to back up the opinion that they over achieved last year. A Colorado-style fall back is in order for them, although it probably won't be quite as far back considering they made some good moves this offseason.

We made a signficant upgrade in net, on D and in coaching.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

I think Anaheim is pretty close to a lock for winning the division. They haven't lost anybody significant, and have plenty of cap space available still to make further upgrades.

LA will bounce back next year IMO.

Calgary will likely finish ahead of us, they've made too many improvements to regress backwards.

San Jose has a solid group of D, but their goal tending is questionable, and Thornton/Marleau will continue to regress with aging.

Vancouver is a strong candidate to regress - their core is aging, and they have question marks in goal and on D.

For Arizona, unless Tippet has some magic up his sleeve, I can't see them finishing out of the bottom.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Blah. I say we finish ahead of Calgary. There's good stats to back up the opinion that they over achieved last year. A Colorado-style fall back is in order for them, although it probably won't be quite as far back considering they made some good moves this offseason.

We made a signficant upgrade in net, on D and in coaching.

I don't see them being much worse. Between the trades they made and then their young players growing it will be tough to see them take a step back. Even if gaudreau has a sophmore slump they have Bennett who could makeup for it. I only see them doing worse if their goaltending falls apart.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Realistically I can see us finishing ahead of Arizona and Vancouver and mayyyybe in front of San Jose. Big maybe. Lots of things will have to click and go right for that to happen. Calgary could either implode or get better I feel.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They did that last year.

Vancouver looks much worse, and SJ hasn't improved significantly at all.

You don't think with everything Edmonton has done, that they can do bit better?

Oilers had 62pts.. Sharks 89..
We need more than "slight improvement" to be 5th.

Hoping for a 0.500 record so 82 pts ... If that leaps us over VAN, CGY or SJ then so be it.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think Anaheim is pretty close to a lock for winning the division. They haven't lost anybody significant, and have plenty of cap space available still to make further upgrades.

LA will bounce back next year IMO.

Calgary will likely finish ahead of us, they've made too many improvements to regress backwards.

San Jose has a solid group of D, but their goal tending is questionable, and Thornton/Marleau will continue to regress with aging.

Vancouver is a strong candidate to regress - their core is aging, and they have question marks in goal and on D.

For Arizona, unless Tippet has some magic up his sleeve, I can't see them finishing out of the bottom.

Basically agree with all of this other than I don't think regression is a strong enough word to describe Vancouver.

It might not be this season but when they go it will be a free fall to the basement like what happened to us in 2010.

Dark horse Matthews candidate.

LA has some question marks on the backend, I don't really think it will be a big deal but in particular if Doughty was to get hurt they could be in big trouble.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't see them being much worse. Between the trades they made and then their young players growing it will be tough to see them take a step back. Even if gaudreau has a sophmore slump they have Bennett who could makeup for it. I only see them doing worse if their goaltending falls apart.

the same argument could be made that the Avs should not have fallen by your reasons. They lost Statsny but gained Iginla, and that team won the central division before so their height was greater than the Flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad