Speculation: Predict Where The Oilers Finish in Their Division.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
we'll be bottom 10 in the league so I guess it all depends on how bad AZ, SJ and Van do.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
I'm going with 5th here. I can't see them finishing lower than 6th, or higher than 3rd. I basically see 3 tiers.

1. Anaheim
2. Calgary (gross)

3. Los Angeles
4. San Jose
5. Edmonton

6. Vancouver
7. Arizona

I do actually see it being SOMEWHAT realistic that Edmonton is better than one of San Jose or LA. However, beating out the Central teams for wildcard will be tough.

SAN Jose will go down too. I would exchange SJ and Vancouver.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I think it is fair to play this game now, since most of the major draft and free agency moves have been done by teams. I can't see many people picking 1st or 2nd, but obviously I had to make every position available to choose from, since all are technically possible.

Where do they finish. Predict the entire division standings in your post if you're up to it.
I picked 4th but yes this team has been bad but they've also underachieved.
I wouldn't be shocked if they finished 2nd or 3rd.
San Jose is aging and don't have a starting goalie. Who knows how they'll do with a new coach, and if last season was just an anomoly

LA is just a ****ing gong show. Even with the addition of Lucic(who's been horrible vs. western teams), and they only have 4 million to fill 4 spots if Voyonov comes back

Vancouver is another gong show without all the legal crap. Miller, and Markstrom will be fun to watch next year and the Sedins are obviously on the decline.

Calgary could regress this year when teams take them more seriously but they made some great moves this summer as well.

Anaheim and Arizona are no brainers where they'll end up.

So my heart:

1. ANA
2. EDM/CAL
3. CAL/EDM
4. SJ
5. LA
6. VAN
7. ARI

As far as I'm concerned every team in the pacific have taken steps back with the exception of Calgary, and Anaheim. Edmonton has obviously made the biggest by far even without the addition of McDavid

OilKings

Sep 20, 2014
Where wil the Oilers finish in the west?

Where do you guys think the Oilers will finish in the west next season and who will they pass?

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
1. Anaheim
2. LAK (I think they will have a bounce back year)
3. Calgary

4. San Jose
5. Vancouver

6. Edmonton

7. Arizona

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think we could go as high as 3rd or 4th.

Over optimistic on my part, but I have faith in the power that binds us.

mcdavid.jpg

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
Third or Fourth. New coach, Mcdavid, better goaltending. If we can improve our D core, I would pencil us in at third. I think Calgary's forward regress big time, I doubt Gaudreau or Hudler play as well as they did this past season but Calgary's defence is stacked. Should be a fun season, especially with San Jose and Vancouver's decline.

oiler4ever

Jul 29, 2004
Windsor
Under Nelson Oilers were project to get 70pts. With the addition of better D, experienced coaching staff plus #97 i am expecting oilers to easily add 10 more Ws. Oilers will be competing better this season vs teams like Vancouver and Calgary. I am predicting 91 points this season

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
They did that last year.

Vancouver looks much worse, and SJ hasn't improved significantly at all.

You don't think with everything Edmonton has done, that they can do bit better?

San Jose hasn't improved significantly, but Edmonton has? Both teams added a top 4 d-man to their roster. You think Connor McDavid is going to make up for that 27 point gap between the two teams? Or the 40 point gap with Vancouver?

No... Edmonton's finishing 6th in the division.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
They did that last year.

Vancouver looks much worse, and SJ hasn't improved significantly at all.

You don't think with everything Edmonton has done, that they can do bit better?

I think they will do much better. If they finish with 20 more standings points than last year that still gets them in 6th though. The Oilers were really, really bad last year and I don't think any team in our div has gotten much worse.

The good thing is, is that we should be competitive down to the end.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Went with 5th. Arizona will obviously be last, and I'm guessing either Vancouver or San Jose (but not both) drops below the Oilers.

ANH
LA
CAL
SJ/VCR
EDM
VCR/SJ
ARZ

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
the same argument could be made that the Avs should not have fallen by your reasons. They lost Statsny but gained Iginla, and that team won the central division before so their height was greater than the Flames

The main difference is that Colorado had a marginal defense at best. The Flames have one of the best defences in the Western Conference...top 5 in the NHL. That matters a lot.

The teams the Oiler will almost assuredly finish behind in the Conference (unless they massively over achieve) ...Anaheim,
St Louis, Chicago, Nashville, LA, Calgary and Minnesota. Question marks are Vancouver, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado and San Jose.

In their division I see Calgary, Anaheim, and LA finishing ahead of the Oilers. I see Vancouver and San Jose slipping but they could still finish ahead of the Oilers...tough to say.

I see this team being in the 80 - 90 point range this season.
Big improvement over last year.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm expecting 85 pts and that will put them likely 5th/6th in the division depending on what other teams take a slide. I'll go with 6th.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Optimistic 5. Vancouver always seems to do better than expected.

I expect LA to not be as good tbh.

If we're 5 it I think it'll definitely be one of Van or LA we're ahead of. SJS will bounce back a bit I think.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Vancouver and Arizona are the only teams I can see us finishing ahead of

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
the same argument could be made that the Avs should not have fallen by your reasons. They lost Statsny but gained Iginla, and that team won the central division before so their height was greater than the Flames

Iggy was an aging vet. Hamilton ins't exactly aging. Plus Frolik is quite a nice add too. CGY really didn't lose anything.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Optimistic 5. Vancouver always seems to do better than expected.

I expect LA to not be as good tbh.

If we're 5 it I think it'll definitely be one of Van or LA we're ahead of. SJS will bounce back a bit I think.

This, kind of.

I expect San Jose to be a real good regular season team next year again. Their roster is still really good, they got a new voice in the room and room for growth with some young players (Müller, Hertl, Tierney). I'd be very surprised if we finished ahead of them. I don't think Calgary will regress simply due to their major additions of Hamilton and Frolik. LA is a tough one. They have all sorts of issues and IMO does not look very strong at all, then again this is a group that thrives during adversity and have a #1D, #1C and #1G in Doughty, Kopitar and Quick, so it's hard to bet against them. Vancouver will probably be pretty similar to last year. Not really improved but not really any worse either. If there's any team we should be able to move past except Arizona I'd say it's Vancouver.

1. Anaheim
2. San Jose
3. Calgary
---------------------
4. Los Angeles
5. Edmonton
6. Vancouver
---------------------
7. Arizona

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'll say fifth in our Division.

Breakdown

Firing Eakins alone will give this team an additional 5 points without even having a coach.

Hiring McLellan and his own staff will net us 10 - 15 points with only having McDavid and no additional players.

McDavid >> Is an upgrade despite being a rookie.
Signing Sekera >> Petry
Gryba TBD
Reinhart TBD
Korpikoski TBD
Letestu > Gordon
Talbot TBD

TBD = to be determined

Last season the Oilers finished with a pathetic 62 points. I think this team will at least garner an additional 15 - 20 more points over last season. I'll be positive about it so I'll go with the 20 points.

I think the Oilers will finish with 82 points this season. A lot more if Talbot is the real deal.

Last edited:

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I can see San Jose regressing this year, I think they'll start to miss Niemi early and have to adjust to new coach.

We're just plain going to win more games this year, and that means fewer points going to other teams, Calgary and Vancouver would have had a harder time making the playoffs if we hadn't gifted them points.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
I think the only givens this year is Anaheim will be 1st and Arizona will last.

There are many factors at play that make 2-6 a toss up.

Realistically I'll be happy with 4-5th spot with playing competitive hockey all year.

Then again, we're due for a Colorado/Calgary success run here.

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
1. Anaheim
2. LA
3. San Jose
4/5. Edmonton/Vancouver
6. Calgary
7. Arizona

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad