Speculation: Predict Where The Oilers Finish in Their Division.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'll say fourth in our Division.

Breakdown

Firing Eakins alone will give this team an additional 5 points without even having a coach.

Hiring McLellan and his own staff will net us 10 - 15 points with only having McDavid and no additional players.

McDavid >> Is an upgrade despite being a rookie.
Signing Sekera >> Petry
Gryba TBD
Reinhart TBD
Korpikoski TBD
Letestu > Gordon
Talbot TBD

TBD = to be determined

Last season the Oilers finished with a pathetic 62 points. I think this team will at least garner an additional 15 - 20 more points over last season. I'll be positive about it so I'll go with the 20 points.

I think the Oilers will finish with 82 points this season. A lot more if Talbot is the real deal.

82 points this past season still would have had Edmonton a distant 6th in the division. The 4th place team in the division will be right in the playoff hunt. That doesn't seem likely with Edmonton.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
1. Anaheim
2. Los Angeles
3. Calgary
4. Edmonton
5. San Jose
6. Vancouver
7. Arizona

It's gonna be an intense battle for that last wild card spot.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
82 points this past season still would have had Edmonton a distant 6th in the division. The 4th place team in the division will be right in the playoff hunt. That doesn't seem likely with Edmonton.

If you take into perspective; if the Oilers do get 82 points, most other teams ahead would also have a few less. Fourth in our division last year didn't make the playoffs. That being said, I should re-edit my prediction to 5th in the Pacific division. We will be 10th to 12th in the Conference.

edit: We might go higher but that all depends on Talbot. If Talbot can perform at league average at the least, I can see a higher point total.

Last edited:

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I'm going to say the changes all mesh in nicely and they end up with a 2nd place finish in the division, shocking everyone.

durdo

Apr 25, 2015
:help:, homer hope is back. Everything will go perfectly* and they'll pass everyone but the Ducks.

Anaheim
Edmonton
Calgary
San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Arizona

*Talbot a legit #1, Nurse or Klefbom emerge as a first pairing D, breakout year for Yakupov, comeback year for Schultz, expected increased production from the Nuge/Hall/Eberle, same as last year from Pouliot, McDavid rookie of the year

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.

Yeah but you have to look at the fact that they pretty much put up 0's against Calgary, Vancouver, Arizona. You turn 2 of those games into wins in regulation against each of them, and that's an 8 point swing right there versus each team.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
6th place

-Anaheim probably wins the division again
-LA probably rebounds, might challenge the division if they reinstate Voynov
-Vancouver has regressed, but I doubt they'll drop too far. Maybe not 100 points, but they'll be a bubble team
-SJ probably gets a boost from their new coach and signings, bubble team
-I think Calgary will tail off a bit. A lot of what they accomplished last was unsustainable, they simply aren't going to win that many games coming from behind again. Bubble team to be part of the playoff bubble group
- Edmonton will probably improve, maybe even significantly. The defense is still too weak and inexperienced though, it'll hurt them when the pressure is on in the second half of the season. I think they'll fit in that teir just behind the strong candidates for the final playoff spots with Calgary.
-Arizona will suck unless Pronger can channel his 30 year old self in between hall of fame induction ceremonies and his job with the player safety department of the NHL :sarcasm:

Oilers93

Apr 27, 2012
Edmonton
All depends on whether they can finish ahead of San Jose for me, I am feeling optimistic about that given this recent string of moves and a legitimate coaching staff so I say fourth, behind ANA, LA and (sigh), CGY.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Still 6th unfortunately. They will close the gap on the top 5 but there was so much ground to be made up in the first place that even the significant improvements still aren't enough. Still too many question marks and too much dead weight. I could see a jump towards 80 points or so but that's still a fair distance from playoff contention, would be a nice step towards bigger goals in '16-'17.

Vancouver will still be relevant as long as the Sedins are anchoring their top line and I think some are underestimating San Jose. They have a question mark in goal but they are still dangerous up front and have an excellent defense on paper. I don't think a new coach will make that much of a difference for a veteran group like that.

L.A. is going to bounce back big time I'm afraid and I think Calgary actually takes a bit of a step back despite the improvements. They had a ton of fortunate bounces last season and they won't sneak up on anybody anymore so it will be interesting to see how they respond with a target on their back now. They will still likely finish ahead of the Oilers though.

What I find interesting about this division is even though it looks much improved, it has to be the worst division of goaltending in the NHL by far. Outside of L.A., every team has major question marks in goal so the standings could wildly fluctuate depending on which goalie steps up.

thelittleredbaron

Feb 9, 2013
Blah. I say we finish ahead of Calgary. There's good stats to back up the opinion that they over achieved last year. A Colorado-style fall back is in order for them, although it probably won't be quite as far back considering they made some good moves this offseason.

We made a signficant upgrade in net, on D and in coaching.

Only problem is their D is incredible.frolov is underrated and will seriously help their possession.I see oil in 5 or 6 they just have too many holes and questions on back end,maybe that will change before season starts but right now hey are behind but close.

thelittleredbaron

Feb 9, 2013
Only problem is their D is incredible.frolov is underrated and will seriously help their possession.I see oil in 5 or 6 they just have too many holes and questions on back end,maybe that will change before season starts but right now hey are behind but close.

I say maybe the biggest question is in goal,Talbot is unproven and he will see a lot of rubber so we will see. the guy was a backup goalie never been the guy! It worries me because Dubnyk was shipped out for scraps now look at him.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Leaf fan coming in peace oilers fans. I voted 4th, you guys in my opinion are about to take a huge step after drafting Mcdavid and all of the very solid offseason aquisitions. Also your roster is very young, highly skilled and I believe will be highly motivated to show the other teams in the league that the oilers are no longer anyone elses door mat. I wish you guys nothing but success after all you have been put through but sunny skies and apple pie are right around the corner for you all.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
Yup.

Oilers need some things to really break right for them this season.

Agreed. On paper though, I'd say Vancouver and SJ have worse rosters than last season. Calgary won't take anyone by surprise either. The Division will be extremely tight. Anaheim is the only playoff lock I'd say. Let's see how the Oilers first 30 games go. We could be pleasantly surprised.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Anaheim
San jose
Calgary

Edmonton
LA

Vancouver
Arizona

I have a feeling LA is gonna hurt this year, Calgary will be interesting to see if Hamilton+Frolik is enough to make up for the potential regression.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm thinking 5th, but hoping for 4th.

I know we'll beat Arizona.
I'm convinced we'll beat one of Vancouver or San Jose... but if we beat them both it would be crazy.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We finish ahead of Phoenix and in the same cluster as Vancouver, San Jose but behind LA, Anaheim, Calgary. So between 4-6, which won't be good enough for a playoff spot.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

82 points honestly isn't that far out of the question. Oilers had 41 points in 46 games with Nelson. That is a 73 point pace for a whole season. Mclellan should do no worse with the same roster.

Don't forget Hall was out for a chunk of those games. So add Hall, McDavid, improved goaltending and a legit top pairing D. Not to mention how optimistic Hall, Eberle and RNH must be feeling for the first time in years.

82+ points is very obtainable, especially if Talbot lives up to his potential.

McSomnii

why u no change oil
Nov 3, 2012
Little Houston, AB
I'm thinking that the Oilers have a fairly decent shot at finishing ahead of Arizona, and perhaps Vancouver as well. Outside of those two, the only other Pacific team that I think Edmonton might catch is San Jose.

1) Anaheim
2) Los Angeles
3) Calgary
4) San Jose
5) Edmonton
6) Vancouver
7) Arizona

Aside from Anaheim, I could see the rest of the teams grouped together pretty tightly.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I can see San Jose regressing this year, I think they'll start to miss Niemi early and have to adjust to new coach.

We're just plain going to win more games this year, and that means fewer points going to other teams, Calgary and Vancouver would have had a harder time making the playoffs if we hadn't gifted them points.
Besides his cinderella run DeBoers is not a very good coach. He was viewed by NJ/FLA fans like we viewed Eakins

Blue And Orange

Oilers & Seahawks
Jan 21, 2010
Toronto
I can't say for certain. The only team I am confident we'll finish ahead of is Arizona. You can make the case for Vancouver or possibly San Jose but I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Hence I voted 6th.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad