Predict the week: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday(The Trade Deadline)?

Predict the week: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday(The Trade Deadline)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
That's the frustrating part. Weeks ago when we were really far back, our only option to get back in the race was the combination of "we need to win 4-5 games in a row, while both FLA and Tor lose 5 games in a row". However - realistically - this wasn't really an option, since even if we won our games, at this time of the year teams never go in such a slump to lose ~5 in a row - and even moreso, 2 teams at a time would never do so. So it was extremely unrealistic.

And yet - it's pretty much happened. Both FLA and Tor majorly slumping right now. If we hadn't sucked so bad lately in some situations where we absolutely and easily shouldn't have - our playoff hopes would actually be very reasonable and realistic.

Who the hell loses to Detroit after being up by 2 going into the 3rd? Arizona isn't a good team - we were up 2-0, till we lose 3-2 (in regulation to boot). I think Dallas is a decent team - but weren't we up 3-0 in that game, before losing 4-3? If we win those 3 games (we had a 90% likelihood of winning each individual game once we had the 2-3 goal leads too) - changing absolutely nothing else - Habs have 71 points, Leafs 72 points (1 game in hand), Panthers 70 points (2 games in hand). We'd be right in it - and i'd like our chances till year end to surpass them.

But of course we blow big leads in the 2019-2020 season cuz we suck. We also have 3 more additional losses to The Detroit Red Wings - in regulation - for 6 additional points lost - because everyone knows the Red Wings are a difficult team to beat this year
This post is exactly why Petry is not getting traded. And I don’t think Tatar is either.

They will keep them both for next year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This post is exactly why Petry is not getting traded. And I don’t think Tatar is either.

I think they both should be traded, for what it's worth.

Tatar is having a great, career season. Not sure that's repeatable though. If he goes back to being a ~50 point guy - how valuable is he, really? Us making the playoffs/contending won't be up to him - there will be at least 5, maybe even 10 more important players than him next year. He's replaceable. He has great trade value today - we should maximize the return.

Petry's value to us for next season is probably a bit higher - losing a solid D like him would hurt a lot. But if we can get a great return for him - i'd do it too (and i assume the market is through the roof right now).

Us making the playoffs next year, maybe even becoming contenders - depends on many other players before those 2. It depends on Price, Weber, Drouin, Suzuki, Kotka, Domi, Gallagher for starters. If all those guys perform to their ability - we have a chance. If they don't - we won't. Petry/Tatar performing or not performing imo won't affect things much one way or another - they're complimentary pieces, not core pieces.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

I think they both should be traded, for what it's worth.

Tatar is having a great, career season. Not sure that's repeatable though. If he goes back to being a ~50 point guy - how valuable is he, really? Us making the playoffs/contending won't be up to him - there will be at least 5, maybe even 10 more important players than him next year. He's replaceable. He has great trade value today - we should maximize the return.

Petry's value to us for next season is probably a bit higher - losing a solid D like him would hurt a lot. But if we can get a great return for him - i'd do it too (and i assume the market is through the roof right now).

Us making the playoffs next year, maybe even becoming contenders - depends on many other players before those 2. It depends on Price, Weber, Drouin, Suzuki, Kotka, Domi, Gallagher for starters. If all those guys perform to their ability - we have a chance. If they don't - we won't. Petry/Tatar performing or not performing imo won't affect things much one way or another - they're complimentary pieces, not core pieces.

If Bergevin tries to make the team competitive next year, the way I would try to make the team competitive is sign Palmieri. He would help either the Suzuki or Domi line. I would also trade Byron if we need room under the cap. Would also be great to get another LD like Chiarot in the UFA market.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad