Predict the week: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday(The Trade Deadline)?

Predict the week: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday(The Trade Deadline)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I dont see us stringing anything together.

This ship has sunk and it just hasnt hit bottom, yet there are those who cling to a belief we're a playoff team.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Currently we're 8 points out of the playoffs.

The Leafs have a tough week: Pit, Pit, Car (and then Tampa the day after the deadline)
We have: Det, Was, and Ott (and then we have Vancouver after the deadline).

Will we "gain" ground or "lose" ground?
If we win all 3 and the Leafs lose all 3, we're 2 points out.
If the Leafs win all 3 and we lose all 3, we're 14 points out.

What's your prediction: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday (The Trade Deadline)?

(Note, how many points we are out could still shape MB's strategy).
We’re 8 points out of third in division, with the leafs who have a game in hand. We lose the tie breaker so we need 9 points plus the Leafs to lose. Oh ya, Florida also does and they’re winning 2-1 right now against San Jose.

If we go the wild card route, we’re 9 points out, 10 with the tie break and Philly has two games in hand.

At this point math doesn’t have anything to do with it. Some are in a place where Bergevin is a messiah who’ll blindly follow the team and think they’ll eventually turn it around.

This has become a clown organization where they can only lose 3 more games this year, but instead they’re willing to risk their two oldest players to long term injury for a negligible chance at making the playoffs? It’s negligent and irresponsible, and disgraceful they wouldn’t look out for the players’ best interests. So keep supporting your team to win when they play Price 3 games in 4 nights and Weber when he’s not 100%. We’ll still be here on the other side called reality.

It doesn’t matter how many points we’ll be out by the deadline.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
This week, however, could be huge for the future of this organization. If we're 12 or 14 points out at the end of the week, at the high prices vets are going for, MB could potentially sell Tatar or Petry for a suzuki or Brannstrom type piece. If we're 4 points out that's out of the question.

Very big week of hockey coming up. It's irrelevant what you or I would do. What matters is what MB will or won't do if we're 4 points out. So what matters is how many points we'll be out this Sunday.
There is zero chance we’re four points out because other teams are still playing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We’re 8 points out of third in division, with the leafs who have a game in hand. We lose the tie breaker so we need 9 points plus the Leafs to lose. Oh ya, Florida also does and they’re winning 2-1 right now against San Jose.

If we go the wild card route, we’re 9 points out, 10 with the tie break and Philly has two games in hand.

At this point math doesn’t have anything to do with it. Some are in a place where Bergevin is a messiah who’ll blindly follow the team and think they’ll eventually turn it around.

This has become a clown organization where they can only lose 3 more games this year, but instead they’re willing to risk their two oldest players to long term injury for a negligible chance at making the playoffs? It’s negligent and irresponsible, and disgraceful they wouldn’t look out for the players’ best interests. So keep supporting your team to win when they play Price 3 games in 4 nights and Weber when he’s not 100%. We’ll still be here on the other side called reality.

It doesn’t matter how many points we’ll be out by the deadline.

Actually if you re-read the original post and the other posts in this thread, you'll see that this thread has nothing to do with suppoeting the team. The question is how many points WILL the team be out of the playoffs, not how many points do I or you or anyone else WANT the team to be out of the playoffs. It's a faxtual question, not a matter of emotion or opinion.

And this is a very important question. If we're 12 points out of the playoffs and the prices for Tatar and Petry are as high as they seem to be, MB may trade them and we may get another Suzuki like piece to build around. If we're 4 points out, I highly, highly doubt MB trades them. That thy're playing Weber would indicate that.

This is a huge weekend of hockey. Re-think your position on the significance of how many points we're out of the playoffs in that light.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Actually if you re-read the original post and the other posts in this thread, you'll see that this thread has nothing to do with suppoeting the team. The question is how many points WILL the team be out of the playoffs, not how many points do I or you or anyone else WANT the team to be out of the playoffs. It's a faxtual question, not a matter of emotion or opinion.

And this is a very important question. If we're 12 points out of the playoffs and the prices for Tatar and Petry are as high as they seem to be, MB may trade them and we may get another Suzuki like piece to build around. If we're 4 points out, I highly, highly doubt MB trades them. That thy're playing Weber would indicate that.

This is a huge weekend of hockey. Re-think your position on the significance of how many points we're out of the playoffs in that light.
I don’t get it because it doesn’t matter, we’re already out?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I don’t get it because it doesn’t matter, we’re already out?

Not in Bergevin's eyes. And he's the one who's going to decide whether or not to trade Tatar or Petry at the huge prices that may be offered. It's not you or I that will make those decisions. So that we think it's better to plan for the future than for a futile playoff push is totally irrelevant.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Not in Bergevin's eyes. And he's the one who's going to decide whether or not to trade Tatar or Petry at the huge prices that may be offered. It's not you or I that will make those decisions. So that we think it's better to plan for the future than for a futile playoff push is totally irrelevant.
I think you’re thinking too much.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think you’re thinking too much.

How so? Does it take more than half a brain cell to know that MB's strategy is to still try to make the playoffs?

Is it a far reach to think that if we're 4 points out of the playoffs on TDL day he'll continue with that strategy?

Is it a far reach to think if we're 10 or 12 or 14 points out that may change his strategy and he may decide to take huge offers for Tatar or Petry?

Big week coming up. Fasten your seat belt. We may be 8 points out. We may be 4 points out. We may be 12 points out and have another Suzuki like prospect to build around. We'll find out this time next Monday...

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
We have four 4th round picks. Big deal.

But we do have chicago's second round pick which will be pretty high.

Unless MB trades this valuable asset in a vain attempt to sneak into the playoffs. He is of course, a stable genius.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
How so? Does it take more than half a brain cell to know that MB's strategy is to still try to make the playoffs?

Is it a far reach to think that if we're 4 points out of the playoffs on TDL day he'll continue with that strategy?

Is it a far reach to think if we're 10 or 12 or 14 points out that may change his strategy and he may decide to take huge offers for Tatar or Petry?

Big week coming up. Fasten your seat belt. We may be 8 points out. We may be 4 points out. We may be 12 points out and have another Suzuki like prospect to build around. We'll find out this time next Monday...
You keep saying we can be 4 points out. We can’t be. Every other team has to lose every game this week and it’s impossible. we have to sell, end of story.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
End of the week prediction in the race to get swept by TB or Boston:

Toronto 73
Florida 72
Montreal 66
Buffalo 64 (they only have two games this week, but I think they pass the Habs in the end)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You keep saying we can be 4 points out. We can’t be. Every other team has to lose every game this week and it’s impossible. we have to sell, end of story.

I think you need to re-look at the math.

Let me start you off. In order to be 3 points behind Toronto, Toronto has to lose to Pit twice and lose in OT to Carolina. We then have to beat Detroit, Ottawa and Washington (difficult but not impossible - they're losing to Las Vegas and just lost to Arizon). Repeat this exercise with the Panthers. Boom, we're 4 points out of the playoffs at the end of the week. Note Toronto has a much tougher schedule than us this week and the Panthers are 3-6-1 in their last 10.

If we have to be in sell mode, why is Weber coming back when he hasn't fully healed from his ankle injury?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Toronto plays Pittsburgh in a home & home. They're not winning either game. I think they win in OT vs Carolina. So 2 pts.

Florida has Anaheim, LA Kings & Vegas. They lose to Vegas. Get 4 pts.

Montreal plays Detroit, Washington, Ottawa. They FINALLY beat Detroit, lose to Washington and lose to Ottawa in OT. That's 3 pts.

By TD:

Toronto: 63 games -- 72 pts.
Florida: 62 games -- 72 pts.
Montreal: 64 games -- 65 pts.

7 pts back of both Toronto and Florida. Leafs will be out of a playoff position while Florida gets back in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->