Predict the week: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday(The Trade Deadline)?

Predict the week: How many points will we be out of the playoffs by next Monday(The Trade Deadline)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Toronto plays Pittsburgh in a home & home. They're not winning either game. I think they win in OT vs Carolina. So 2 pts.

Florida has Anaheim, LA Kings & Vegas. They lose to Vegas. Get 4 pts.

Montreal plays Detroit, Washington, Ottawa. They FINALLY beat Detroit, lose to Washington and lose to Ottawa in OT. That's 3 pts.

By TD:

Toronto: 63 games -- 72 pts.
Florida: 62 games -- 72 pts.
Montreal: 64 games -- 65 pts.

7 pts back of both Toronto and Florida. Leafs will be out of a playoff position while Florida gets back in.

Part of the reason I was interested in this poll question is because I think Bergevin is creating different plans in his mind for the different scenarios come Sunday. It's clear by Weber playing injured, among other indicators, that Bergevin wants to stay in the race. Hence if we're still close he doesn't sell. However, him being in Colorado today watching the Avs and Lightning, two contenders, indicates he's also getting ready to sell to contenders, in the event that we're x points out of the playoffs and not looking good at the end of the week. It will be interesting to see where we'll be. And I wonder what his threshold is.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
I think you need to re-look at the math.

Let me start you off. In order to be 3 points behind Toronto, Toronto has to lose to Pit twice and lose in OT to Carolina. We then have to beat Detroit, Ottawa and Washington (difficult but not impossible - they're losing to Las Vegas and just lost to Arizon). Repeat this exercise with the Panthers. Boom, we're 4 points out of the playoffs at the end of the week. Note Toronto has a much tougher schedule than us this week and the Panthers are 3-6-1 in their last 10.

If we have to be in sell mode, why is Weber coming back when he hasn't fully healed from his ankle injury?
Exactly, you’re expecting everyone to lose and us to win every game. As I said, impossible.

Reactions: DAChampion

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Exactly, you’re expecting everyone to lose and us to win every game. As I said, impossible.

No, not every game...

To gain 2 points on a team we have to win 1 more game than that team. To gain 4 points, we have to win 2 more games. It's only in the case where we have to gain 6 points on a team that we have to win all our games and they lose all their games in regulation...

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
No, not every game...

To gain 2 points on a team we have to win 1 more game than that team. To gain 4 points, we have to win 2 more games. It's only in the case where we have to gain 6 points on a team that we have to win all our games and they lose all their games in regulation...
Yes every game because there are teams ahead of you who will also pick up points if those in the last playoff spots drop any points. Anyways do your thing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Yes every game because there are teams ahead of you who will also pick up points if those in the last playoff spots drop any points. Anyways do your thing.

Only teams ahead of us for the 3rd seed in our divisin are Toronto, Florida, and Buffalo. All those teams have had major ebvs and flows in their seasons. If we win 2 games and get to 66 points this week, Florida can win o1 game and be 4 points ahead of us. Buffalo needs to win 3 games to be 4 points ahead of us.

Mykayla

Feb 17, 2020
I think you need to re-look at the math.

Let me start you off. In order to be 3 points behind Toronto, Toronto has to lose to Pit twice and lose in OT to Carolina. We then have to beat Detroit, Ottawa and Washington (difficult but not impossible - they're losing to Las Vegas and just lost to Arizon). Repeat this exercise with the Panthers. Boom, we're 4 points out of the playoffs at the end of the week. Note Toronto has a much tougher schedule than us this week and the Panthers are 3-6-1 in their last 10.

If we have to be in sell mode, why is Weber coming back when he hasn't fully healed from his ankle injury?

thats only this week though,

if you look at the entire remaining schedule, toronto has an easier schedule then habs

we arn't going to be 9 points better then toronto over a 20 game period, Lol

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
1.1% chance, folks. quick! somebody tell MB (and Weber)!!

exactly. really, what are the odds we'll be better at all? Gotta be less than 50%, considering they're a better team. What are the odds we'll be better than both FLA and TOR?? Much less. Then consider the odds of having to be 10 points better than both (considering games in hand and ROW tiebreakers)!

in any event, i hope MB is just being coy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
thats only this week though,

if you look at the entire remaining schedule, toronto has an easier schedule then habs

This whole thread is only about this week. Because at the end of this week MB has to make a decision about whether we're sellers or not. If we're 2 or 4 points behind the Leafs, not a chance in hell he trades Tatar or Petry. If we're 12 or 14 points behind them and he gets an offer for a decent roster player and a suzuki like prospect, maybe he pulls the trigger.

Mykayla

Feb 17, 2020
This whole thread is only about this week. Because at the end of this week MB has to make a decision about whether we're sellers or not.

uuummm, no he doesn't

and i dont expect him to,

that is what he SHOULD DO,

but doesn't mean what he is GOING to do

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
uuummm, no he doesn't

and i dont expect him to,

that is what he SHOULD DO,

but doesn't mean what he is GOING to do

What do you mean? At the end of this week there's only 3 options:

1. Buy
2. Sell
3. Hold

Has nothing to do with should. He GOING to have to be one of those 3. I think whether we're 2 or 14 points behind the Leafs at the end of the week will influence whether we're 1, 2, or 3.

Mykayla

Feb 17, 2020
What do you mean? At the end of this week there's only 3 options:

1. Buy
2. Sell
3. Hold

Has nothing to do with should. He GOING to have to be one of those 3. I think whether we're 2 or 14 points behind the Leafs at the end of the week will influence whether we're 1, 2, or 3.

it will be #3 regardless of how many points we are behind,

i wouldn't get your hopes up,

i see maybe one trade for a third or forth rounder, nothing major,

MB after....."trades are hard" "the offers were not there" "offers were not good enough"

blah blah

trades might be hard for you MB, but Zucker, Coleman, and Toffoli are all proof that they really arn't that hard

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
it will be #3 regardless of how many points we are behind,

i wouldn't get your hopes up,

i see maybe one trade for a third or forth rounder, nothing major,

MB after....."trades are hard" "the offers were not there" "offers were not good enough"

blah blah

trades might be hard for you MB, but Zucker, Coleman, and Toffoli are all proof that they really arn't that hard

You were saying something about us only getting a 3rd or 4th rounder by the deadline...:)

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
On an off topic, Freddy Andersen’s hold on the Leafs’ No. 1 goalie spot is very tenuous after letting in 5 goals in Buffalo and another 5 tonight in Pittsburgh.

Days ago, TSN reported that the entire Leafs squad really liked Jack “Soup” Campbell. He might supplant Freddie the Sieve Andersen as the go to guy!

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Kudos to the 21.6% who correctly predicted we'd be 6 points behind the Leafs/7 points out of a playoff spot at the end of the week.

In the end logic was respected: we went 2-1-0, they went 1-2-0.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Kudos to the 21.6% who correctly predicted we'd be 6 points behind the Leafs/7 points out of a playoff spot at the end of the week.

In the end logic was respected: we went 2-1-0, they went 1-2-0.
We are still games ahead of most teams. And despite beating a league worse Sens team and the Caps we also just lost to the league worst Wings. We blew a 2 goal lead to them.

But ya they won’t sell now. 15th pick again

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You keep saying we can be 4 points out. We can’t be. Every other team has to lose every game this week and it’s impossible. we have to sell, end of story.

We don't have to beat out everyone in front of us just the Leafs and Panthers. I agree it's over, but Toronto and Florida suck so bad right now it's comical.

Reactions: BLONG7

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
We are still games ahead of most teams. And despite beating a league worse Sens team and the Caps we also just lost to the league worst Wings. We blew a 2 goal lead to them.

The poll was where WILL we be at the end of the week, not where do you WANT us to be. Kudos to those of us that got it right.

Being 7 points out could have implications for how Bergevin handles the deadline. But i think if we had won in Detroit and we were 5 points out, that would have bigger implications. Plus the fact that we lost to Detroit in such a big game may affect his stance.

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I was right with my prediction. But got the games wrong. Figured they would beat detroit and lose to wsh. Detroit is the reason habs wont make the playoffs lol

Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The middle.........just where MB like sit..........he is still trying for another 5 yr extension...needs more time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
We don't have to beat out everyone in front of us just the Leafs and Panthers. I agree it's over, but Toronto and Florida suck so bad right now it's comical.

That's the frustrating part. Weeks ago when we were really far back, our only option to get back in the race was the combination of "we need to win 4-5 games in a row, while both FLA and Tor lose 5 games in a row". However - realistically - this wasn't really an option, since even if we won our games, at this time of the year teams never go in such a slump to lose ~5 in a row - and even moreso, 2 teams at a time would never do so. So it was extremely unrealistic.

And yet - it's pretty much happened. Both FLA and Tor majorly slumping right now. If we hadn't sucked so bad lately in some situations where we absolutely and easily shouldn't have - our playoff hopes would actually be very reasonable and realistic.

Who the hell loses to Detroit after being up by 2 going into the 3rd? Arizona isn't a good team - we were up 2-0, till we lose 3-2 (in regulation to boot). I think Dallas is a decent team - but weren't we up 3-0 in that game, before losing 4-3? If we win those 3 games (we had a 90% likelihood of winning each individual game once we had the 2-3 goal leads too) - changing absolutely nothing else - Habs have 71 points, Leafs 72 points (1 game in hand), Panthers 70 points (2 games in hand). We'd be right in it - and i'd like our chances till year end to surpass them.

But of course we blow big leads in the 2019-2020 season cuz we suck. We also have 3 more additional losses to The Detroit Red Wings - in regulation - for 6 additional points lost - because everyone knows the Red Wings are a difficult team to beat this year

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Didn’t MB say a couple of weeks back if Habs were within 7-points of a playoff spot they’d keep pushing forward?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad