Speculation: Predict the Next Canucks Trade

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Gudbranson to the Leafs for Carrick+2nd

And to the person who said Carrick is a throw in he very much is not. He's a little undersized but he's a good young defender who can actually grow offensively. I'd say he'd fit in nicely on the 3rd pairing right side. He's behind Tanev and Stecher but not bad by any means.

Hutton-Tanev
Edler-Stecher
MDZ-Carrick
Pouliot-Biega

I actually like that better than with Guddy.

I also know that Babcock doesn't trust Carrick with PKing duties but that doesn't mean Travis won't use him there.

Carrick is a stopgap at best, and will never be a significant asset. I doubt he's much better than Holm/Weircoch. I don't see the point of acquiring him. I would move Gudbranson for a pure futures package and wouldn't see any value in a roster-filler.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Gudbranson to the Leafs for Carrick+2nd

And to the person who said Carrick is a throw in he very much is not.

You're wrong. Carrick is absolutely a throw-in. Why do you think the Leafs are looking at Gudbranson as a better option? It's because Carrick hasn't translated his offensive game to the NHL and was never good defensively. So far, there's nothing to bank on with him. That's why he's expendable.

If they were better on the right side, Carrick would already be on the move.

With what you are saying here, are you equating Carrick to a prospect? If so, I would much rather have Kapanen or Leivo coming back in that deal. Carrick comes nowhere close to their asset value, IMO.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Markstrom now to Edmonton or a team in need of a 1b goalie at the deadline. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

Yeah esp if there getting desperate to save their jobs which i think will be the case for some teams like Edmonton

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
After watching Hutton last night and on the recent road-trip, really beginning to wonder if he's a guy Jimbo might move.....lots of depth d-men in the system now on the left side and Juolevi is coming. And besides, has Pouliot's emergence rendered him somewhat redundant?......there's been rumors about him on the move before...Ottawa or Buffalo maybe?

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Not sure how highly regarded Hutton will be around the league. Lot of tools, but looked gassed much of the time—not sure he's very committed to improving. Not really good offensively or defensively at this point, and man does he get turnstiled a lot.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Id rather be patient with Hutton hes worth keeping he emerged as an NHL player late and may take another step. Some guys seem to be like that. He has been at times asked to do to much for what he can do but not sure thats on him. He is quite big he is a great skater and at times really knows what to do defensively but seems to get overwhelmed. Some of those problems i think he can work on. Id rather keep him

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Id rather be patient with Hutton hes worth keeping he emerged as an NHL player late and may take another step. Some guys seem to be like that. He has been at times asked to do to much for what he can do but not sure thats on him. He is quite big he is a great skater and at times really knows what to do defensively but seems to get overwhelmed. Some of those problems i think he can work on. Id rather keep him
A year or so ago I might have agreed with you....but the Canucks have loads of depth on the left side with Juolevi, Brisbebois, Holm, Wiercioch and McEneny....and I just don't see Hutton "as a great skater'....He's fine once he gets going, but his first couple of strides are ponderous.....Continuously gets tracked down from behind and coughs up the puck. But I agree there's still potential there, which might interest another NHL team with defensive depth issues....And at $2.8m a season, he's affordable. Canucks need more youth and size up front imo.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Josh Anderson (6'3 221lbs, 2 time ohl champion with Bo Horvat on the London Knights)

for

Erik Gudbranson, conditional 2nd if Guddy doesn't re-sign with CBJ OR Ben Hutton

lawrence

May 19, 2012
if we are still in playoff contention.

canucks add a gritty veteran to play on the 4th line to replace Dorsett.

If we are in tank contention.

Canucks trade away Burmistrov for a 5th rounder or higher
trade away Gagner to a playoff team to shore up their centre spot, and trade away Del Zotta to a team that needs defencemens in their playoff run.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
What do you think Edmonton would offer us for Ben Hutton? Lottery protected first? Prospect and a 2nd?

Wouldn't they be more likely after a RS Dmen? Sekera is injured and Klefblom is struggling but I'm not sure Hutton would be seen as what they need (1st pairing LS or 1/3 RS).

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Where are the Leafs with Liljegren? Would it be worth parting with Tanev if he came back the other way?
I don’t trade Tanev for him, I would want significantly more coming back. I also think Tanev is a guy you keep through the rebuild. Gunderbranson will bring in more than expected as dmen at the trade deadline do. Get draft picks now or the deadline when they have the least value and turn those into picks or players at the draft when they have the most value.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
A year or so ago I might have agreed with you....but the Canucks have loads of depth on the left side with Juolevi, Brisbebois, Holm, Wiercioch and McEneny....and I just don't see Hutton "as a great skater'....He's fine once he gets going, but his first couple of strides are ponderous.....Continuously gets tracked down from behind and coughs up the puck. But I agree there's still potential there, which might interest another NHL team with defensive depth issues....And at $2.8m a season, he's affordable. Canucks need more youth and size up front imo.

Are you seriously listing Brisebois, Holm, Wiercioch and McEneny as reasons we should trade Hutton???

What have these guys proven, other than Wiercioch (who was 'meh') at the NHL level?

Let's just keep Hutton for the time being. When we draft another potential top 4 D, we can look to trade him.

He's our 2nd best long term option right now. I'd rather keep him.

Reactions: Hit the post

Seventy7

May 16, 2015
Ben Hutton is horrible.

He has below average offensive awareness, below average defensive awareness, muffin of a shot...

Matt Bartkowski v2

Trade him while someone may think he still has some upside.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Ben Hutton is horrible.

He has below average offensive awareness, below average defensive awareness, muffin of a shot...

Matt Bartkowski v2

Hutton is very good at transitioning the puck and has very good offensive IQ. He's a middle pairing guy that can give you quality minutes and results. Comparing him to Matt Bartowski shows you know absolutely nothing when it comes to evaluating ice hockey players these players are not similar, at all.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Ben Hutton is horrible.

Matt Bartkowski v2

He is not horrible and far from it. Just a struggling season for him right now. He WILL turn it around.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad