Speculation: Predict the Next Canucks Trade

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I'm thinking it's just a matter of timing before Tallon pushes the right buttons to get Gudbranson.

There was a piece at the beginning in the provies mentioning the Canucks having had interest in Jayce Hawryluk before, so I'll go with him and a 4th for Gudbranson.

He has 5 points in 14 GP for Springfield. Valk is their leading scorer with 15 and has been called up to Florida for tonight's game in Florida. Looks like a trade for the wrong Springfield center.

Cripes Hamilton has 3 in 6GP for Utica. Acquiring Jayce in a trade would not be the swiftest move.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
I thought Valk was about to get a shot with the big club? not sure why he'd be moved now.

My guess is the Canucks would have brought Valk back on an AHL contract but didn't want to use one of their NHL contracts on him. That's why the Subban trade makes some sense because it would be a NHL contract for a NHL contract.

Don't be foolish and make sense.

The trade rumor wasn't actually a rumor it was a suggestion in the crowd in a discussion taking place among some guys. It got overheard, picked up some speed, and must have moved about the Aud and then into the community and here we are.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
My guess is the Canucks would have brought Valk back on an AHL contract but didn't want to use one of their NHL contracts on him. That's why the Subban trade makes some sense because it would be a NHL contract for a NHL contract.

It's funny about his precious contracts. He holds them like precious metal when they get short in number, but blows them ahead of that on guys like Carcone, Laplante, and Stewart. Valk was strung along on AHL contracts for 3 seasons, paid his dues, and proved his worth by becoming the Comets #2 scorer last season at center and was simply released. He was not what I would have targeted based on the quality AHL centers that the NHL doesn't want, but he would have been welcomed with open arms on this roster and filled in very well. Let's face it who do you play first Bancks (a wing/#1PK), Hamilton (an energy line center/PK), Megna (another better fit for the wing), Cassels (ECHL), Darcy (ECHL), Woods (reserve forward), or Curtis Valk (last yr's #2 scorer and this season's #1 scorer in AHL Springfield). The answer is a no brainer for anyone who has watched that group at center.

I'll give a nod to Chaput as an adequate center, but not giving evidence of a play making #1 as of today. He has played 11 games and Bancks has outscored him and Goldobin leads the team with 14 points and Chaput has assisted on only 2 of his goals. They both assisted together on 2 other goals. Chaput has 7 points and 6 are on the PP. He has been nonexistent at even strength where a playmaker needs to shine.

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Rodin, Subban, Carcone and a 2nd for Evander Kane.

Gudbranson to Florida for a 3rd for the cap space as Panthers went on a run and push for playoffs.

member 105785

Gudbranson and Granlund for RNH

Not even close to what EDM is looking for. RNH has been among their best players this season.

Also, I'm gonna say 2 veteran status AHL players for 2 non veteran status AHL players

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Jordan Subban and a third for Dustin Brown.

*bonus prediction: Benning and Linden sign extensions as the Canucks are still in hailing distance of the sixteenth and final playoff spot in January

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I would do that every day of the week

Unfortunately Ottawa wouldn't.

What I like with this management is that you have really no clue what they are going to do next.

Wouldn't be surprised if they traded a 2nd for another reclamation project - that would give us that play-off boost :D

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Unfortunately Ottawa wouldn't.

What I like with this management is that you have really no clue what they are going to do next.

Wouldn't be surprised if they traded a 2nd for another reclamation project - that would give us that play-off boost :D

It's a contract year for the gm so I'd have my bags packed if I were a draft pick. This gm is a proven pick trader, even in what most people consider to be rebuild times, I'd say no pick is off the table right now if the right deal comes along. Or maybe even if the wrong deal comes along.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hutton for Jankowski

I think it's a near certainty - particularly with Pouliot's emergence - that we trade Hutton for something quite stupid relatively soon.

Shame, because we could actually have a solid defense corps this year:

Edler - Pouliot
Hutton - Tanev
MDZ - Stecher

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Trading Hutton would be very stupid at this point. He's progressing. Just needs conversion rates back on his side. Would be really foolish to move him.

But, they are starting to get overloaded on the left side as an organization. Something's gotta give.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad