Predict the 2018 - 2019 Lineup - No UFA Signings

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
AA shouldn’t be anywhere near the 2nd line, he’s below both Ras and Abdelkader.
If you think Abdelakader is a top 6 forward over AA I officially can not take you serious. That was beyond hysterical.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
If you think Abdelakader is a top 6 forward over AA I officially can not take you serious. That was beyond hysterical.
It's debatable, not hysterical. AA is shit defensively and inconsistent as hell, also Abdelkader had just as much points, so offense isn't an argument in AA's favor either.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

If you think AA is a top 6 forward, there's a strong chance your name is Andreas Athanasiou, and I would say to you, you don't deserve to be a top 6 forward.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
It's debatable, not hysterical. AA is **** defensively and inconsistent as hell, also Abdelkader had just as much points, so offense isn't an argument in AA's favor either.
Abdelkader style is more suited for 3rd line as he is more of a checking winger and less of a goal scorer. If your going about it by stats he also has 14 less goals then AA in less two seasons with playing more games. I like Abbs more then others but I don't see him being a top 6 player with the current players on our roster.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
If you think AA is a top 6 forward, there's a strong chance your name is Andreas Athanasiou, and I would say to you, you don't deserve to be a top 6 forward.
Is this where I assume your his ex because regardless if it is positive or negative comments about AA you also have to find away to say your two sense about him?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Is this where I assume your his ex because regardless if it is positive or negative comments about AA you also have to find away to say your two sense about him?

Way to blow things out of proportion, bud. It's become more and more apparent over the last year that he just isn't a quality top 6 F in this league right now. I'm sorry that you are offended by this notion.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Way to blow things out of proportion, bud. It's become more and more apparent over the last year that he just isn't a quality top 6 F in this league right now. I'm sorry that you are offended by this notion.
You accused me of literally being AA because I am a fan of his? How am I the one that blew this out of proportion? You can have your opinion that he is not a top 6 F whatever, but any sane hockey fan would never pencil Abbs over AA on there depth chart. You can hate AA all you want and talk crap about his game, attitude, personal life, but I will continue to support him and every player on the Wings.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
You accused me of literally being AA because I am a fan of his? How am I the one that blew this out of proportion? You can have your opinion that he is not a top 6 F whatever, but any sane hockey fan would never pencil Abbs over AA on there depth chart. You can hate AA all you want and talk crap about his game, attitude, personal life, but I will continue to support him and every player on the Wings.

Come on man, seriously? I made a statement in jest about how AA feels he deserves top 6 ice time. I don't hate his game or his personal life. He needs to commit to being a complete hockey player, that's it. If you play 18 minutes a night, you can't go out and play one half of the ice, you can't take shifts off. Flat out. He has done nothing to earn my trust that would make me comfortable putting him out there over some other options.

For your reference, here's my ideal, and potentially realistic, forward group:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Zadina
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

Notice, I'm not saying to put Abdelkader over him. That's not a reasonable thing to do in my eyes, but my top 6 all have qualities that I think make them more deserving than Athanasiou at this moment. I want him to succeed, and you won't find someone pulling for him to get his act together more than me, but he actually has to show improvement before I change my stance.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Come on man, seriously? I made a statement in jest about how AA feels he deserves top 6 ice time. I don't hate his game or his personal life. He needs to commit to being a complete hockey player, that's it. If you play 18 minutes a night, you can't go out and play one half of the ice, you can't take shifts off. Flat out. He has done nothing to earn my trust that would make me comfortable putting him out there over some other options.

For your reference, here's my ideal, and potentially realistic, forward group:

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Nyquist-Zetterberg-Zadina
Athanasiou-Nielsen-Rasmussen
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

Notice, I'm not saying to put Abdelkader over him. That's not a reasonable thing to do in my eyes, but my top 6 all have qualities that I think make them more deserving than Athanasiou at this moment. I want him to succeed, and you won't find someone pulling for him to get his act together more than me, but he actually has to show improvement before I change my stance.

That line up answers a different question, who do you put when you have a 3rd and 4th line winger in those spots? In the bottom 6 AA is better suited on the depth scoring line, and Abdelkader on the checking/energy line. But when the question is 2nd line winger/3rd line winger open, AA is a right now the archetype of the third line winger; one dimensional, not invested every game, shouldn't be playing against the other team's best players. This is in contrast to Abdelkader who brings some offense, but also goes to the dirty area, is better against other team's best players, and at least shows up most games. In the end AA is a deeply flawed forward with a plus shot and elite speed and has done nothing to this point to show he deserves consideration in the top 6 even in a bottom feeder like Detroit.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That line up answers a different question, who do you put when you have a 3rd and 4th line winger in those spots? In the bottom 6 AA is better suited on the depth scoring line, and Abdelkader on the checking/energy line. But when the question is 2nd line winger/3rd line winger open, AA is a right now the archetype of the third line winger; one dimensional, not invested every game, shouldn't be playing against the other team's best players. This is in contrast to Abdelkader who brings some offense, but also goes to the dirty area, is better against other team's best players, and at least shows up most games. In the end AA is a deeply flawed forward with a plus shot and elite speed and has done nothing to this point to show he deserves consideration in the top 6 even in a bottom feeder like Detroit.

I think what you point to is more of what play style fits on any given line. With my top 6 structured the way they are, I have Zetterberg and Larkin as the puck carrier and more driver of the offense. They are both very gifted in their ability to set their linemates up in different ways. Mantha and Zadina are both slotted in as the player with a sniper mentality. Bert and Nyquist are complementary players who can contribute in different ways, be it Bert's grinding and fearless attitude or Nyquist's obvious chemistry with Zetterberg.

AA is unique. The elements he bring are kind of a mixture of everything, but something is just missing for me. I just think that he is best served being on a line where he can be an energy guy. A change of pace that can catch a team on their heels. I'd rather not have that energy guy be a regular on the top 6 lines that I am relying heavily on to be a consistent force on both ends of the ice. I mean, Phil Kessel played a third line role for Pittsburgh...we know Kessel has the talent of a top line forward, but they deployed him in a role where he could feast. Crosby and Malkin might be slowed down, but earn their keep against any matchup they get, but letting Kessel fly over the boards and feast on the leftovers is exactly what he needs to be at his best.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I think what you point to is more of what play style fits on any given line. With my top 6 structured the way they are, I have Zetterberg and Larkin as the puck carrier and more driver of the offense. They are both very gifted in their ability to set their linemates up in different ways. Mantha and Zadina are both slotted in as the player with a sniper mentality. Bert and Nyquist are complementary players who can contribute in different ways, be it Bert's grinding and fearless attitude or Nyquist's obvious chemistry with Zetterberg.

AA is unique. The elements he bring are kind of a mixture of everything, but something is just missing for me. I just think that he is best served being on a line where he can be an energy guy. A change of pace that can catch a team on their heels. I'd rather not have that energy guy be a regular on the top 6 lines that I am relying heavily on to be a consistent force on both ends of the ice. I mean, Phil Kessel played a third line role for Pittsburgh...we know Kessel has the talent of a top line forward, but they deployed him in a role where he could feast. Crosby and Malkin might be slowed down, but earn their keep against any matchup they get, but letting Kessel fly over the boards and feast on the leftovers is exactly what he needs to be at his best.

And I agree with this, I just think that compared to what Mastab8 was going on about AA being a top 6 guy, your lineup works because the roles players are put it makes sense. Having AA in the top 6 is fine when he's engaged for a shift or two every dozen games, but makes no sense when he disengaged and basically giving the other team's top lines an unofficial powerplay.

Shultzyfeelinirie25

Jun 29, 2018
What about svech i feel as though he's only going to improve in a top 6 role and there's no room for him in the lineup it seems?

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
Zadina and Rasmussen + at least one rookie D would be awesome. Won't believe it till I see it.

I.actually think this has a really high chance of happening. I think Rasmussen has a spot, I think one of the D is locked in (hicketts or Hronek, but Cholo sniffing too) and I think that would have been it until we got Zadina. He is too good to send back to juniors.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I.actually think this has a really high chance of happening. I think Rasmussen has a spot, I think one of the D is locked in (hicketts or Hronek, but Cholo sniffing too) and I think that would have been it until we got Zadina. He is too good to send back to juniors.

I hope you're right.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
I hope you're right.

Only thing I worry about now is the rumor that he can apparantly go to GR? Which sucks for us fans but at least he can be called up at will and actually probably better development wise honestly. I know we all want our new toy but GR might be a very good move if its actually possible, unless he really does pull a Larkin and just shows up and kills it and makes it impossible which he can very well do.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Only thing I worry about now is the rumor that he can apparantly go to GR? Which sucks for us fans but at least he can be called up at will and actually probably better development wise honestly. I know we all want our new toy but GR might be a very good move if its actually possible, unless he really does pull a Larkin and just shows up and kills it and makes it impossible which he can very well do.
If you're talking about Zadina, he has to play either in the QMJHL or NHL.

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
If you're talking about Zadina, he has to play either in the QMJHL or NHL.

Yes was talking about Zadina.

That was 100% my thinking but apparently today in the red wings camp stream, they said he could play in the A because he is European. Which I dont buy at all, but apparently it was said i just didnt hear it personal.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Gustav Nyquist – Dylan LarkinAnthony Mantha
Tyler Bertuzzi– Frans Nielson – AA
Michael Rasmussen – (C)Henrik Zetterberg – Filip Zadina
(A)Justin Abdelkader – Darren Helm – Luke Glendenning

* Martin Frk
* Dominic Turgeon

Trevor Daley – Danny DeKeyser
Nick Jensen – Jonathan Ericsson
Filip Hronek – (A)Niklas Kronwal

* Luke Witowski

Jimmy Howard

FunkyColdZadina

Jun 26, 2018

That was 100% my thinking but apparently today in the red wings camp stream, they said he could play in the A because he is European. Which I dont buy at all, but apparently it was said i just didnt hear it personal.
He can't go to the AHL. He was selected in the import draft and then drafted out of the Q so it's NHL or QMJHL for him.

Reactions: waltdetroit

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
He can't go to the AHL. He was selected in the import draft and then drafted out of the Q so it's NHL or QMJHL for him.

Agreed and 100% my thinking and that's awful research by the Detroit broadcast team if they said that with out knowing. Very bad knowledge lol

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

He played a year in the Q...it’s NHL or back to Halifax

crashnburnluder

Dec 19, 2010
He played a year in the Q...it’s NHL or back to Halifax

Lol I'm going to keep getting crushed with this one. This is and was my thinking and I still agree, I'm just saying what everyone is reporting was said on the Red Wings stream lol. If someone that watchd the stream could verify but it was posted in the development camp thread. I also DO NOT THINK ITS TRUE but at times you hope the guys being paid to discuss it have a better understanding but that isnt always the case lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad