Confirmed with Link: Roman Josi signs extension - 8 years / $9.059 M per year

How much will Roman Josi’s contract be? (Per year)

• Total voters

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Josi has always been at least partially in the shadow of somebody here all the time... Weber and Subban primarily... I'd think that now he's basically got the whole spotlight to himself he'd be even more inclined to want to stay. But who knows. I agree that he is not the magnitude of player to get a completely blank check. Not at 29 anyway.

Probably he should not have signed for 7 years on the current deal... just when he was breaking out. It was a great discount for us that he did. But I don't think that means I want to be paying Josi $10M when he's 36, 37, 38 just to make up for that mistake.

If he wants to maximize his AAV maybe we have to think about trimming him back to 5 or 6 years? For 8 years, I think $8M is fair. But if he wants to climb another notch, I think we have to knock the last couple years out of the equation. 5x$9.5M would be fine with me. Or 8x$8M. :dunno:
Doughty, Karlsson and Subban are the only defensemen getting paid 9+ million a year and every single one of them are over paid. Let’s not be the one that makes Josi overpaid as well by giving him 9+. As you said 8x8 is fair for both sides. He still has 7 concussions hanging over his head and his defense is par. He is a dynamic offensive defenseman but I wouldnt pay him more the 8.5. If he won’t budge on the 9-10million talk I would look around to maybe trade him

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
You cant trade Josi now, not from a team that looks like a cup contender. If it comes down to it you take your shot this year and see what happens in the summer.

Especially with the lack of defensive depth we have. There's no one on our roster that can step up to fill Josi's minutes if he was gone. So if we move him you either have to get a Top 4 defenseman back as part of the deal which lowers the rest of the return or you're moving someone else to get a replacement.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Especially with the lack of defensive depth we have. There's no one on our roster that can step up to fill Josi's minutes if he was gone. So if we move him you either have to get a Top 4 defenseman back as part of the deal which lowers the rest of the return or you're moving someone else to get a replacement.
That’s called a dilemma and Preds certainly have one. Josi and his high priced negotiating team know that. When Josi changed agents this was coming.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
That’s called a dilemma and Preds certainly have one. Josi and his high priced negotiating team know that. When Josi changed agents this was coming.

Yeah I'm pretty sure Weber changed agents before the offer sheet.

I guess the previous agent was entitled to commission up to this last year of the deal, then Josi was free to get new representation

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Basically I'd hand him 8 with some form of NMC and 9 without one. If he wants more than that you may be forced to let him walk. No way you pay him anywhere close to 10.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Just give the man 9 million or end up having to pay him 10 after the season.

From 31 thoughts: "There’s been some dialogue in the last few days between the Predators and Roman Josi. There’s a “want” from both sides to get this done, but the magic number looks like it starts with nine."

Don't know if this is what you're referring too but it seems like that's probably what's going to happen in the near future.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
From 31 thoughts: "There’s been some dialogue in the last few days between the Predators and Roman Josi. There’s a “want” from both sides to get this done, but the magic number looks like it starts with nine."

Don't know if this is what you're referring too but it seems like that's probably what's going to happen in the near future.
I'd be fine with anything up to 9.5. Don't know that I'd want him more than 6 years if he asks for 9.5 though. That is a lot of money to pay an old defenseman.

Reactions: NNCbama

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
If the caphit starts with a 9, then i would like the years to start with a 6 or less. Josi isn't getting younger and relies on speed and mobility for his game which isn't going to get better

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
You folks are a hoot. Josi is gonna get 8 years from us or 7 from someone else next summer. If Poile gives him 9.5 x 8, that's fine. We are paying to have our 1D during our current Cup window which is probably no more than 3 years, 4 years tops. You pay the price to have a legit shot at the prize. By the time it becomes a bad contract we will be rebuilding and he can either be a 50% retained cap dump to a contender or he can be the old guy who mentors our next generation of youngsters.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You folks are a hoot. Josi is gonna get 8 years from us or 7 from someone else next summer. If Poile gives him 9.5 x 8, that's fine. We are paying to have our 1D during our current Cup window which is probably no more than 3 years, 4 years tops. You pay the price to have a legit shot at the prize. By the time it becomes a bad contract we will be rebuilding and he can either be a 50% retained cap dump to a contender or he can be the old guy who mentors our next generation of youngsters.
Naw, I think if he wants to stick around when he's 37 or 38 years old, he can take a reduced-AAV contract that covers those years now, OR, he can do like Pekka just did and sign another short-term lower-AAV deal after his 5- or 6-year megacontract expires.

There's more than just Josi to think about now. If he's worth $9.5M on our team, then what is Ekholm worth? $8M? $9M? Forsberg only has 2 years left after this one. He's also worth $9.5M then? I think it's worth putting up a little bit of a fight to cap Josi at the current Duchesne/Johansen $8M max. And I don't think the team should PLAN to be rebuilding in 5 years either. A GM's goal should be to build a perennial contender. Managing the cap well - which Poile has done magnificently so far - is one ingredient. The team still has to draft and develop well at the same time. But that should very much be the goal here. They should be laying the foundations to contend for the next decade and beyond, not just be resigned to blowing things up after 5 years.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
josi wants to get paid and he isn't taking less term. 8 years from us or 7 years from someone else.

sounds like if poile can get josi for 8 years X 9 million per with a NTC then poile should get paper on pen ASAP.

OldFan

Jul 3, 2019
Naw, I think if he wants to stick around when he's 37 or 38 years old, he can take a reduced-AAV contract that covers those years now, OR, he can do like Pekka just did and sign another short-term lower-AAV deal after his 5- or 6-year megacontract expires.

There's more than just Josi to think about now. If he's worth $9.5M on our team, then what is Ekholm worth? $8M? $9M? Forsberg only has 2 years left after this one. He's also worth $9.5M then? I think it's worth putting up a little bit of a fight to cap Josi at the current Duchesne/Johansen $8M max. And I don't think the team should PLAN to be rebuilding in 5 years either. A GM's goal should be to build a perennial contender. Managing the cap well - which Poile has done magnificently so far - is one ingredient. The team still has to draft and develop well at the same time. But that should very much be the goal here. They should be laying the foundations to contend for the next decade and beyond, not just be resigned to blowing things up after 5 years.
You’re on the right track. What Poile has to do is establish scenarios for future rosters. Every time Josi’s team makes a counter-offer, then Poile has to play that against his future roster scenario.
In this regard, he has to consider the value of players against other players. As in your examples, he has to say if I sign Josi for this I won’t have enough money to sign X for that. It’s a tough task.
For that reason, I still think, as bad as I would hate it, that Josi could work Poile into a corner where Josi would be traded.
Josi has 1 player to consider, himself. Poile has a roster full of signed and expiring contracts. And a cap. Whew!

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I do appreciate that Poile is careful when it comes to giving out contracts. I know we can find some bad ones but most are not debilitating. Turris is the worst that comes to mind right now but I don't remember thinking it was terrible when it was signed. I also am not convinced it's as terrible as we think it is.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think John Carlson's current contract (8x8) could be used as a comparable as well here.

Similar age, similar playing style, pretty similar stats. Only major difference? Carlson has a Cup.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Carlson and OEL contracts are reasonable comparables. The Preds aren't in the habit of blazing trails above the latest market trends, so I'd still be very surprised if Josi's contract does begin with a 9.

Jun 15, 2007
I think John Carlson's current contract (8x8) could be used as a comparable as well here.

Similar age, similar playing style, pretty similar stats. Only major difference? Carlson has a Cup.

Except if Carlson was signing a new contract today it would be at least 10m.

8m for Carlson is looking like an absolute bargain. Not say Josi wouldn't take a bargain to stay but that's not his market value.

The market changed when Doughty and Karlsson got 11m.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

8m for Carlson is looking like an absolute bargain. Not say Josi wouldn't take a bargain to stay but that's not his market value.

I hear you but an argument should be made that both Doughty & Karlsson are overpaid right now.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

I dunno, Carlson was coming off 68 pts in the regular season, 20 pts in the playoffs, and a Stanley Cup when he signed that contract? And he was only like 5 days away from unrestricted free agency. It's hard to imagine a point where he had any greater leverage to get more.

He has further entrenched himself in the Norris conversations, which is a level I don't think Josi is quite at. So it's true Carlson could command $10M today, and probably took a discount even when he signed. But he's also better and more accomplished than Josi. Certainly Doughty and Karlsson are perceived to be in a tier above Josi as well.

Even Subban in his good years was a little better than Josi, for all that last season may have tarnished that memory, and nobody liked Subban at $9M either. I still think moving him was at least partly predicated on the notion that if they still had him, they would have felt obligated to pay Josi a little more than him.

Anyway, I'm totally in favor of Poile playing hardball here. I mean, the worst case for the player is still that Josi gets $64M. That's not too shabby. And the worst case for us is that we take an extra $1M or $2M on the cap? That's not going to cripple us any time soon, either way. It really is just the trickle-down effect that would worry me, the follow-on contract demands of guys like Forsberg and Ekholm. It's worth a little extended hardball to try to maintain control of those situations.

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Carlson and OEL contracts are reasonable comparables. The Preds aren't in the habit of blazing trails above the latest market trends, so I'd still be very surprised if Josi's contract does begin with a 9.

Josi will get at least 9 million. If not from us then someone else

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Josi getting 9 is fine, maybe higher than I would like buy not a killer. Josi getting more than 9? Now that's where you gotta start making hard decisions.

If he wants 9 then cool, but you ain't getting any bells and whistles on it and you sure as heck ain't getting a NTC/NMC. You want all of that you better be coming in closer to 8.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Josi getting 9 is fine, maybe higher than I would like buy not a killer. Josi getting more than 9? Now that's where you gotta start making hard decisions.

If he wants 9 then cool, but you ain't getting any bells and whistles on it and you sure as heck ain't getting a NTC/NMC. You want all of that you better be coming in closer to 8.
I mean, don't tell Josi or his agent this, but we'll secretly sign him pretty much no matter what, of course. Even if he came in at 10. Even with a NTC/NMC. He's not walking away. But if... if... if he thinks maybe he can make a decent living on a measly $8M instead... like maybe some other folks have done in coming here... it might ultimately help him to win a Cup here one day.

We're the only ones that can give him 8 years too. 7x$9M is still less money in the bank than 8x$8M. I don't know where he sees himself at age 38. But $64M and a better shot at a Stanley Cup win somewhere along the way, without having to uproot from a place he seems comfortable in, ought to mean something to him too.

Again, I don't think a $1M or $2M extra payment to Josi is really going to make or break our Cup dreams. It's really just the slippery slope of what that might mean to the others lining up behind him. If you start paying that little bit extra to Ekholm, who has also toiled on a bargain deal, and to Forsberg, who has also toiled on a bargain deal... it's going to add up. $1M or $2M might not break us... but that times 3 starts to make a bigger dent.

At the same time, you know, if feels like we have a pretty comfortable group of players. Too comfortable? I wonder if it's really the best idea to have them all playing out their careers here on long-term contracts. Or anyway, thinking they are. Trimming some of that term down and leaving them hungrier to still be in top form at 35 might not be a bad idea either. Nobody is throwing very huge gobs of money on 35+ contracts. The way things have gone with Rinne is a nice model too. Tag some extra years on once they get up there, if they still want to stay, and they are still playing well enough that you want them to stay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad