Pre-Game Talk: Predict All the Canucks Trades before the Deadline

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
An article from something called wheel house hockey. Houseofhockey.net

Have no idea of how legit this source is. But it sounds like a legit proposal. I like my tinkering with it, namely

Boeser (30% retained) and 5th (2023)

for

Holtz NJ 2nd and 3rd (both 2023)

My reasoning is that NJ needs to slightly sweeten the deal, and trading our 5th for their 4th is only likely to be about 15 spots overall.

Edit - So Nucker is LOL at this. I would jump at it if it were 25% retained. I assume he doesn't think NJ would do it, but it seems like just. the sort of thing they would do for a cup run.
My lol is at NJ doing this but I’m a known Boeser hater(the player, not the person) so perhaps I’m too low on his value.

I’m sure he’d do better on a team that’s got a surplus of speed and skill but if I’m NJ I ask myself if Boeser is much better than Sharagonvich(sp?) in the role they’d want him in.

And why not just go in big for a Timo Meier instead?

Reactions: DonnyNucker

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Demko isn’t getting moved until the off season at the earliest. No GM is going to pony up for him until he shows he’s healed up and back in form.
Rumor still persists that Demko will be back in the crease shortly after the all-star game this weekend, and teams will still have a month before the trade deadline to monitor him.

A team like the Kings have to be desperate. They have a very good team right now and could go on an extended playoff run. But not unless they address their problems in the crease. And there just aren't a lot of impact goalies out there on the market, other than maybe John Gibson in Anaheim.

And I just can't see L..A. making a big trade with their cross-town rivals.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
So someone is suggesting that the Canucks are close on a deal with NJ.

Boeser for Holtz. Apparently they want Canucks to take 30% retention, and the Canucks are asking for a draft pick to do that.

sounds like a tolerable deal to me. Jump at it if its a later 1st round, but the article I saw is that we aremore likely to get a 2nd.

I would jump at this deal if they would throw in something like their 3rd for our 5th.

This was brought up earlier in the week. It's just a random twitter cartoonist who makes shit up. That's the source.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
boeser to canes for cap dump+pick
schenn=boston or tbay for cal foote+ 2nd
myers=offseason move/garland as well.
rathbone for another reclamation project
demko=draft day move his value is probbaly low cuz of the way he started the season and is hurt.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
My lol is at NJ doing this but I’m a known Boeser hater(the player, not the person) so perhaps I’m too low on his value.

I’m sure he’d do better on a team that’s got a surplus of speed and skill but if I’m NJ I ask myself if Boeser is much better than Sharagonvich(sp?) in the role they’d want him in.

And why not just go in big for a Timo Meier instead?
They are in a situation where they probably could go in on Meier, but he also has a $10m QO and will probably want something in the $8m+ range on a long-term deal...its do'able for them but they have a lot of other bodies they're going to have to allocate money to...getting Boeser on the cheap, if you think you can rehab him, might be worth taking a flier on...it's a definite risk...you can either look like a real genius or an idiot. Despite being in the heavy minority, I still think there is a good chance Boeser will rebound in the right situation and a GM can come out looking pretty good if they can get him on the cheap with a good chunk of retainage...I still think he ends up in Carolina, but NJ would be my backup guess.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I expect that other then Schenn there will be close to matching cap hits coming back on any Canucks player traded at this deadline.

Ie Horvat at $5.5m returning Beauvillier at $4.125m….even if the Canucks retain salary.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Schenn for a late 2nd or extended (sigh) is the minimum. Anything over that will be good.

kcunac

Aug 31, 2008
Ottawa
Also, we only have 3 retention spots and we’re not going to enter next season with 2. In fact we probably shouldn’t even enter with 1. Retention is essential to moving our players, even soon to be UFAs as we saw with Horvat.

Reactions: theguardianII

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Laughing at some of you believing we could land Holtz for Boeser.
Depends on how NJ values him. Despite his draft position, he’s 3 years post-draft and hasn’t been able to stick in the NHL. Like, it would have made sense to trade 2016-2017 Virtanen for current Boeser. Or Juolevi. Not all organizations are married to their prospects if they don’t think they are tracking well. Not saying that applies to Holtz, but it may.

Reactions: sting101

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Agreed it's very unlikely. Canucks have to add an asset, take a cap dump, retain on Boeser.. and even still it's unlikely.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Canucks 2024 1st, NYI 2023 1st, Garland and Rathbone for Chychrun

That's what I expect from Jim.
He just traded Bo for a futures package. So that’s a weird thing to be expecting

if someone takes myers that is because they actually want him at $6m next year and if they want him at that price then that is what i predict they will pay.
No one wants Myers at $6MM lol

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Retain 1 M after bonus is paid out then he is essentially a free 5M cap hit.
The only problem is that most teams that want to use the cap hit are bottom dwellers and I’m not sure what the incentive for Myers to waive to go to one of those teams would be?

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
I am the one who posted that, I got it from what I thought was a legit web site. (to wasn't, but it popped up on my Facebook page) The idea was that NJ was interested in Boeser for a playoff run, offered Holtz if we would retain 30%, and we responded asking for a draft pick. Holtz has played most of the year in the minors, and has 4 pts in 18 games. A lot of NJ fans on HF boards are eager to dump him.

All in all the idea is not that ludicrous. NJ augments their scoring for $4m cap hit, that they might be able to accommodate with LTIR and lose a 2020 pick thats been stagnant.

The problem that NJ fans see is that Boeser's contract is too high and too long, but there is probably no way that VCR will retain more than 30%.

Schenn for an 8th.
He. actually has some value. You are implying negative value with sarcasm. he will likely garner a 3rd or 4th.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Also, we only have 3 retention spots and we’re not going to enter next season with 2. In fact we probably shouldn’t even enter with 1. Retention is essential to moving our players, even soon to be UFAs as we saw with Horvat.
The Canucks have had 3 retention spots for years, they were never used I don't think, at least I can't remember under Benning.

I agree retention is the key for trades especially right now. The use of the two remaining spots this year and having one next year could be vital to "building" this team quickly.

I think Rathbone or hogs gets traded
Rathbone. Maybe as part of a package deal, as a sweetener.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad