McKenzie: Predators have started preliminary extension talks with Pekka Rinne

Status
Not open for further replies.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Is the Seattle expansion draft next summer or 2020? Rinne, for his own sake, wouldnt want to have another year under contract at the time and end up possibly having to play his last year in Seattle.

Two more years at 5 or 6 mil would be perfect. Rinne wont demand stupid money, and Poile wont try to lowball him.

Of course, Rinne got hurt tonight and if hes out for a while and Saros is super, that may change the dynamic a bit.

Reactions: Flukeshot

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think it'll be a 3-4 x 4-5 mil contract.

Helps Nashville compete while he's still the starter and gets his money afterwards if he play falls off.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I suspect it will be in the 4 million range and will only be long enough that he will be an UFA when expansion hits so he won't need to be protected. I suspect he will be like Fisher, Poile will give him a contract for as long as he wants to play.
This.^^^
The Seattle expansion draft changes the dynamic.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Way too big of a discount for him.

2x 4m is a good contract for him if he want to win a SC with the Preds before he retires. This is a good deal for him. Helps his team keep their good players and still makes enough to be happy with his paycheck considering his age. The fact is he was pulled 3 times in the PO's when it meant the most. He won the Veznia for his reg season work but was not there for the Preds when they needed him the most in the PO's.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And for Rinne because we will have to protect Saros, and I'm fairly certain Peks doesnt want to end his career with an expansion team.
If the Preds protect 4D again they have to protect johansen, forsberg, turris, fiala. Would leave a guy like Arvidsson available.

So, doubtful that Rinne would be lost in a ED. But that’s all based on whether the Preds keep their top 4 intact.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
If the Preds protect 4D again they have to protect johansen, forsberg, turris, fiala. Would leave a guy like Arvidsson available.

So, doubtful that Rinne would be lost in a ED. But that’s all based on whether the Preds keep their top 4 intact.

I highly doubt we'll do the 8 skaters option again, too many forwards we want to keep. So we'll likely have to pay Seattle a bunch to take someone else or trade a top-4.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017

Arvidsson is ahead of Turris and Fiala so far. Who knows what happens after 2 more seasons. But that holds for the D as well... it's so far away in hockey years that there's not really any point in planning very seriously today for it. The team as a whole or the players as individuals may look different. Subban and Ellis are not quick players and could drop off more quickly with age, Josi will have a big fat new contract, Ekholm heading to one. I don't think you can take a snapshot today and expect that is going to hold up as your expansion plan.

But I do think it's safe to say that Rinne is effectively "expansion exempt"... his age and his personal plans will make it impossible for Seattle to consider taking him. No matter how the Preds protection list shakes out, they'll have better options than a goalie nearing 40 who may very well retire rather than play somewhere else.

Reactions: torniojaws
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad