McKenzie: Predators have started preliminary extension talks with Pekka Rinne

Status
Not open for further replies.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
If I were him I'd do a couple 1 yr deals. If he doesn't like his role as the transition to Saros begins he could take off or retire. I have a feeling he knows he only has a couple decent years in him left though.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
If everything goes right he'll be transitioning to a back up role this year and next, and will be a back up in his 37 year old season. Yes, he's an elite starter and just won a Vezina at 34, but by the time he's 36-37 he may not be.

Prettt sure he won’t bet against himself still being able to play at a high level. It’s a cute thought though for Preds fans. He just won a Vezina, he isn’t going to take backup money or give up his starters spot in a year.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Prettt sure he won’t bet against himself still being able to play at a high level. It’s a cute thought though for Preds fans. He just won a Vezina, he isn’t going to take backup money or give up his starters spot in a year.

Except he's said himself that it may be time to turn over the reins to Saros after last year's playoff loss. This is our plan, I doubt we're going to change it because some people think Rinne will want more than he's made his entire career for some reason.

Now, he may not get $4mil, but 4-6.5 is not unrealistic for a loyal guy like Rinne offering us a discount for his last contract.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Another thing to consider is how close to a Stanley Cup the Preds are. If the Preds win this year or next, I would be surprised if he didn't retire.

Likewise if they don't win in the next 2 years and seem to be going the other direction, does he want to be signed through a rebuild.
The predators entire core is signed for the next 4 years or longer. Rinne doesn’t have to worry about a rebuild

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
There's not a ton of comparables, but here's one:
Craig Anderson was one of the worst starters in the league last year. 37 years old. Very loyal to Ottawa. He got a raise from $4.2M to $4.75M for a 2 year contract.
Don't forget the taxes though: Comparing NHL Player Contracts

6 million in the Senators would net you roughly 2.88 M
5 million in the Predators would net you roughly 3.05M

Hmm, but then again, the cost of living balances that out. You have more purchase power in Ottawa than in Nashville - the difference is roughly 20% according to: Cost of Living Comparison Between Ottawa, Canada And Nashville, TN, United States

So if you earn 3M after taxes in Ottawa, you would need 3*1,2 = 3.6 M after taxes in Nashville to have equal cost of living.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Don't forget the taxes though: Comparing NHL Player Contracts

6 million in the Senators would net you roughly 2.88 M
5 million in the Predators would net you roughly 3.05M

Hmm, but then again, the cost of living balances that out. You have more purchase power in Ottawa than in Nashville - the difference is roughly 20% according to: Cost of Living Comparison Between Ottawa, Canada And Nashville, TN, United States

So if you earn 3M after taxes in Ottawa, you would need 3*1,2 = 3.6 M after taxes in Nashville to have equal cost of living.
Please stop with the tax thing. It's obviously wrong and is only based on income taxes, and calculates it as if the entire season was played at home. We don't have an income tax but we have a larger sales tax, entertainment taxes, wheel taxes, taxes on alcohol and property tax.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Saros's 2nd contract which started this year had just over 800K raise so I could see similar drop for Rinne compared to his current contract, which is 7m.

So I would say a total of 12.5M for two years, so AAV is 6.25.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad