McKenzie: Predators have started preliminary extension talks with Pekka Rinne

Status
Not open for further replies.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
2 x 7 - 7.5M (because of Vezina) and a guaranteed some-M job after retirement in NSH is likely. From his interviews in Finnish, he really loves it there. If Seattle were to pick him (come on, he'll be almost 40 then!), then he would just retire on the spot. He would rather mentor Saros & Co.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
Do people seriously think he is getting something under 5 mil!?!? He just won the Vezina for crying out loud! He will get at least $7M and probably closer to $8M!

Yeah, I'm just boggling at the people thinking the reigning Vezina champion is going to take a 50 percent pay cut. If Rinne wants to do the Predators any favors it will be in terms of being willing to negotiate a shorter contract.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, I'm just boggling at the people thinking the reigning Vezina champion is going to take a 50 percent pay cut. If Rinne wants to do the Predators any favors it will be in terms of being willing to negotiate a shorter contract.

Right, and I could see him doing that. But Bobrovsky is about to get $10M, Rinne should get at least 8.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
With Pekka's injury against Calgary, this is an excellent opportunity for them to see if Sarros is ready to carry the load for a while. Let him have the run of the net for a while (unless there's a back to back), and see how he fares. Could put the Preds in a better position with Rinne if term becomes a sticking point. I wouldn't go beyond the additional 2 years that Sarros has on his deal beyond this season.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
Well he'll be 36 next season and he's extremely loyal to Nashville. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that he'll get something around $4mil.

Loyal might look like a 7.5 or 8 million mostly bonus, no NMC contract for two years. That's extremely team friendly and they have Saros on a cheap contract for that period so they can certainly afford it. $4m would be insulting for the guy voted best goalie in the league last year, and these guys have pride.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
With Pekka's injury against Calgary, this is an excellent opportunity for them to see if Sarros is ready to carry the load for a while. Let him have the run of the net for a while (unless there's a back to back), and see how he fares. Could put the Preds in a better position with Rinne if term becomes a sticking point. I wouldn't go beyond the additional 2 years that Sarros has on his deal beyond this season.

I can't tell how good Sarros is when he played against Edmonton.
I think I could have got a shut out against the Oilers that night. That's how strong Nashville is defensively atm.
They should let Rinne walk and just throw in anyone cheap as they play so well defensively.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Loyal might look like a 7.5 or 8 million mostly bonus, no NMC contract for two years. That's extremely team friendly and they have Saros on a cheap contract for that period so they can certainly afford it. $4m would be insulting for the guy voted best goalie in the league last year, and these guys have pride.

Considering he makes $7million without bonuses now, why would a 7.5-8 million contract be considered a discount?

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
Because he'd be accepting only a 2 year contract, when he very likely could get a 3 year+ contract with considerably higher total value if he went on the free market? Because he'd be accepting no NMC and thus being vulnerable to Seattle?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Because he'd be accepting only a 2 year contract, when he very likely could get a 3 year+ contract with considerably higher total value if he went on the free market? Because he'd be accepting no NMC and thus being vulnerable to Seattle?
Yes. Look at the contracts Poile is signing players to. Or wait and see. You will be surprised... most Preds fans won't be. He'll take a hometown discount on all fronts and no NMC. And if Seattle takes him, they'll be silly, because then he'll retire and they will have missed out on getting a pretty good player from elsewhere on Nashville's unprotected list. It's heartwarming that not everybody is purely mercenary in this game. You'll want to be cynical, and feel free, but you're doing Rinne an injustice here, he's a special player and person.

allevat

Jan 11, 2018
I'm sure you are right about him not being mercenary; however, I'm right in that he's not going take $4m a year. If they are extending him at all, it's going to be at least 2 years both because of the lockout and because if they were trying to get him to go year to year negotiations would be at the end of the season. And I am pretty damn sure that a current starter and reigning Vezina winner doesn't consider himself decrepit enough to start going year to year. He's 35, not 40. Nor is he going to take a paycut.

If he's really feeling super-generous and so dislikes the idea of risking the Seattle draft that he'd rather be UFA and eat a year of lost pay, maybe 1 year at 7, but my prediction is still the same: if he signs at all, then 2 years, 7.5-8, big chunk in signing bonuses, no NMC. It may be that doesn't fit the Predators' plans, in which case he'll sign somewhere UFA for 8+, 3 years, assuming he continues to play well this year. Which is why the 2 year deal would be team friendly. It's possible the 35+ contract rule might limit his UFA options, but I still think someone will be willing to risk 3 years.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I would hope that the Oilers would do everything they could to trade for Sarros then. Guyus going to be reallllly good.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Yes. Look at the contracts Poile is signing players to. Or wait and see. You will be surprised... most Preds fans won't be. He'll take a hometown discount on all fronts and no NMC. And if Seattle takes him, they'll be silly, because then he'll retire and they will have missed out on getting a pretty good player from elsewhere on Nashville's unprotected list. It's heartwarming that not everybody is purely mercenary in this game. You'll want to be cynical, and feel free, but you're doing Rinne an injustice here, he's a special player and person.
So you want to keep Rinne beyond the expansion draft? NMC means Seattle can't take him and Preds must protect him.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I could see Rinne preferring 1 yr deals going forward. He can maximize the dollar amount in the year and know he will play it. I don't see him being a guy to finish up a contract on LTIR.

1 x 7.5m and then another 1 x 5m if he wants to keep going.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I could see Rinne preferring 1 yr deals going forward. He can maximize the dollar amount in the year and know he will play it. I don't see him being a guy to finish up a contract on LTIR.

1 x 7.5m and then another 1 x 5m if he wants to keep going.
I could see 1 year deals. 1x$4M, then 1x$2.5M, etc, depending on how he plays. There will be no NMC involved in any scenario, the Seattle expansion is really irrelevant in Rinne's case. I mean, unless something really shockingly unexpected happens like Saros falling off the map. But obviously the Preds don't have to worry about Rinne. He's going to retire as a Pred, and he'll take whatever discounts help the team win before he does retire.

And if for some reason we're all reading his mindset wrong - it's still not an issue because Saros seems totally ready to take over, so if Rinne does want to maximize his final paycheques, he is entirely entitled to do so, and we will wish him well on the free agent market and honour him suitably when he comes back to play against us - but honestly I can't see either camp looking in that direction yet, it just won't be necessary to even go there.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm sure you are right about him not being mercenary; however, I'm right in that he's not going take $4m a year. If they are extending him at all, it's going to be at least 2 years both because of the lockout and because if they were trying to get him to go year to year negotiations would be at the end of the season. And I am pretty damn sure that a current starter and reigning Vezina winner doesn't consider himself decrepit enough to start going year to year. He's 35, not 40. Nor is he going to take a paycut.

If he's really feeling super-generous and so dislikes the idea of risking the Seattle draft that he'd rather be UFA and eat a year of lost pay, maybe 1 year at 7, but my prediction is still the same: if he signs at all, then 2 years, 7.5-8, big chunk in signing bonuses, no NMC. It may be that doesn't fit the Predators' plans, in which case he'll sign somewhere UFA for 8+, 3 years, assuming he continues to play well this year. Which is why the 2 year deal would be team friendly. It's possible the 35+ contract rule might limit his UFA options, but I still think someone will be willing to risk 3 years.

I'll throw out a guess 3 x 7.25M

We're not signing a 36 year old for more money than he made during his prime.

I would hope that the Oilers would do everything they could to trade for Sarros then. Guyus going to be reallllly good.

We're re-signing Rinne for a back up role, it shouldn't have an effect on keeping Saros, which we plan on doing.

jonu

Dec 11, 2014
Moon
Rinne probably wont take a big contract anymore.

He just recently talked about the pressure to show that you're worth the money theyre paying you, and how it affects your game.

He will probs take a really team friendly contract 1 year at a time while gradually moving to 1a 1b situation with Saros and eventually ending his career as back-up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

We're re-signing Rinne for a back up role, it shouldn't have an effect on keeping Saros, which we plan on doing.

A backup role? Why should he sign to be a backup when he’s a elite starter, who will sign for what good starters get paid.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
A backup role? Why should he sign to be a backup when he’s a elite starter, who will sign for what good starters get paid.

If everything goes right he'll be transitioning to a back up role this year and next, and will be a back up in his 37 year old season. Yes, he's an elite starter and just won a Vezina at 34, but by the time he's 36-37 he may not be.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I think some of my fellow Preds fan are nuts with these low ball offers.

There's not a ton of comparables, but here's one:
Craig Anderson was one of the worst starters in the league last year. 37 years old. Very loyal to Ottawa. He got a raise from $4.2M to $4.75M for a 2 year contract.

Rinne isn't signing for $4M. I'd easily give him his same salary again if he'd be willing to sign a 1 year deal. I'd be shocked if he gets less than $6M, depending on how this year goes of course.

Reactions: allevat

allevat

Jan 11, 2018

The problem is... he's still in his prime. Winning the Vezina is pretty much the definition of prime. Which is what is going to make the transition so tricky. Guys don't make it to this level without being incredibly competitive, so Rinne is unlikely to say "right, despite the fact I am playing as well as I ever have, I'll take a backup's pay". Sometimes these things result in the beloved senior player having to move on; ask Pittsburgh about that.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Another thing to consider is how close to a Stanley Cup the Preds are. If the Preds win this year or next, I would be surprised if he didn't retire.

Likewise if they don't win in the next 2 years and seem to be going the other direction, does he want to be signed through a rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad