Pre-Game Talk: Predators @ Habs, Saturday at 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I spent some time going back to see player reactions after the trade was made. Losing amplifies problems and boy was that group adept at losing. The core players (Gally, Marky, Price and Patches) were fine with Weber coming in.

I also think that, whether PK admits it out out loud or not, that he has changed since the trade. Whether it is a maturing that comes with age or an introspective look inside, this move has done wonders for him. With everything else being the same, what would a PK with an NMC look and behave like on last year's team and today? It is a legit question.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I spent some time going back to see player reactions after the trade was made. Losing amplifies problems and boy was that group adept at losing. The core players (Gally, Marky, Price and Patches) were fine with Weber coming in.

I also think that, whether PK admits it out out loud or not, that he has changed since the trade. Whether it is a maturing that comes with age or an introspective look inside, this move has done wonders for him. With everything else being the same, what would a PK with an NMC look and behave like on last year's team and today? It is a legit question.
Well those guys remember losing with PK too.
Six years and the team could not even get to the finals with PK. Will see that get to six with Weber too. ....... swapping a number one D for a number one D was suppose to change what exactly?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Have to be honest, a combination of how awful the habs are as a team ( I don't like many players), and the olympics snowboarding and alpine skiing starting at 8pm, I can see myself turning off the habs game after a period of play. I don't think Canada gets enough coverage of skiing and snowboarding, so it's really fun to watch the best.
Thats a period more than I will see.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal

Of course PK has changed. When MB traded him, he was still a young dman coming into his own and maturing as a player. Even today, he isn't as good as he will be in the future. He gets better almost every game.

But it isn't just PK who (predictably, to anyone with an ounce of sense) got better. It's also being in an environment where coaching and management embraces, appreciates and takes advantage of what they have. MB and MT are two of the most stupid, most ignorant hockey minds in the NHL over the last 15 years. Absolutely astoundingly stupid men.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Well those guys remember losing with PK too.
Six years and the team could not even get to the finals with PK. Will see that get to six with Weber too. ....... swapping a number one D for a number one D was suppose to change what exactly?
Dunno. If people view this as purely an on ice hockey trade there will always be more questions than answers. As I said, we won't know the full story for many years. I'm guessing when it does all come out, there will be enough blame all around.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Of course PK has changed. When MB traded him, he was still a young dman coming into his own and maturing as a player. Even today, he isn't as good as he will be in the future. He gets better almost every game.

But it isn't just PK who (predictably, to anyone with an ounce of sense) got better. It's also being in an environment where coaching and management embraces, appreciates and takes advantage of what they have. MB and MT are two of the most stupid, most ignorant hockey minds in the NHL over the last 15 years. Absolutely astoundingly stupid men.

Sure, but after that crap season, would NMC PK have been a threat to MT and MB's jobs? Look I'm not trying to justify the trade, I've always just tried to understand (not condone) why management felt it had to be made. "Stupid" is not an answer.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
The only ******ation on display here is you.

You definitely indirectly considered Subban to have Einstein-level intelligence. It's understandable though you live your life on these boards, so you have no understanding of the outside world, or the real world.

You don't know the first thing about me, and your put downs are as infantile as your argumentation. As I graciously suggested in a previous post, get a dictionary. Half of your criticisms regarding my posts come from a very poor comprehension of the English language.

Your poor comprehension of hockey speaks loudly for itself.

Reactions: Runner77

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016

He'd be doing the same thing he always does: putting the team on his back and being a difference maker when it counts. He is a big game player with a big personality and a big heart. The dude is a lion. I guess he was too much for the ultra-conservative Canadiens old boys club to put up with...their (and unfortunately our) loss.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
He'd be doing the same thing he always does: putting the team on his back and being a difference maker when it counts. He is a big game player with a big personality and a big heart. The dude is a lion. I guess he was too much for the ultra-conservative Canadiens old boys club to put up with...their (and unfortunately our) loss.
But we were coming off a horrible season in which we fell apart. PK was part of that failure. It's hard to think we would have been any better or worse on the ice last year or this year with him. I just wish we could get one piece of concrete evidence that we could say "There it is, I get it now." Whether we like it or not, at least the answer would be in the open.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I hope Subban torches the Canadiens tonight - a hattrick, flamboyant celebrations, the works. It would be so great to see the faces of Mr. Chillout, Captain Invisible, and Purple Pants after every goal. I can't believe the Preds were all at the Childeren's Hospital with PK when none of the Habs ever went with him. Way to get shown up in your own city boys. What an embarrassing farce this team has become.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bargain Bin hid from the media already this year until they won a game. Now he’s doing the same thing again. He’s big on talking about character but he’s not big on facing the music when he’s in trouble. Huge hypocrite.

Bergevin knows full well he can't win with Subban in town.

24c5lq.jpg

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
But we were coming off a horrible season in which we fell apart. PK was part of that failure. It's hard to think we would have been any better or worse on the ice last year or this year with him. I just wish we could get one piece of concrete evidence that we could say "There it is, I get it now." Whether we like it or not, at least the answer would be in the open.
PK was the team's best player, and one of the only ones who cared during that time. He wants to win, he's competitive and fiery. He made some frustrated comments to the media after some losses, but it just showed he cares. That's what I want from Habs players - the burning desire to win, to not be OK with losing. He was that. We have like 1 player like that left now - Gallagher. The rest don't care.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I hope Subban torches the Canadiens tonight - a hattrick, flamboyant celebrations, the works. It would be so great to see the faces of Mr. Chillout, Captain Invisible, and Purple Pants after every goal. I can't believe the Preds were all at the Childeren's Hospital with PK when none of the Habs ever went with him. Way to get shown up in your own city boys. What an embarrassing farce this team has become.

I always wondered why fans of other teams were allowed to come on to the Habs board and trash the team. Bruins board wouldn't tolerate trolling.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I don't disagree that it's a trade I wouldn't have made, but one for one, in no way is it a lopsided deal. If Team Canada were at the Olympics right now, a healthy Weber would be there and a healthy PK would not. While to some that means nothing, to others it says a lot. Potato/potato

I personally find all the proposals out there moving Price and Weber for prospects and picks are also lopsided because you have proven all-stars and to exchange them for ifs and buts is crazy, yet here we are talking about it as Habs fans.

You're right, to many, that means nothing, including people like David Poile, you know, the guy who traded his captain for the guy who wasn't on Team Canada. Poile actually did this knowing that if Weber retires before his contract ends, it would cost the team a lot of money. And well, the Stanley Cup final appearance after Poile traded his captain for the guy who wasn't on Team Canada says a lot.

Look, you're right, maybe Weber would be on Team Canada for the Olympics and Subban might not. However, why stop there? Maybe Vlasic and Bouwmeester might be too. That proves they are better than Subban right? In fact, in 2014, Chris Kunitz was on Team Canada over Clause Giroux, that proves that Kunitz is better than Giroux, right?

And oh, since Bergevin was one of the guys behind Team Canada's roster in the World Cup Of Hockey tournament, that proves that he shouldn't be fired, right? I mean, why fire him and hire a guy who wasn't part of that team? See how stupid that argument is?

Yeah, we could use individual stats (including analytics) to measure players. We could use individual awards to measure players. We could use team successes to measure players. All of which heavily favours Subban to an embarrassing degree. But no, let's use silly fallacies like "yeah, but Team Canada".

I doubt you will reply, but I look forward to whatever you can come up with next.

Last edited:
Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

More concrete than the dislike coming out of Therriens mouth before he even became coach?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
PK was the team's best player, and one of the only ones who cared during that time. He wants to win, he's competitive and fiery. He made some frustrated comments to the media after some losses, but it just showed he cares. That's what I want from Habs players - the burning desire to win, to not be OK with losing. He was that. We have like 1 player like that left now - Gallagher. The rest don't care.

It showed more than that to management obviously. Gally came back early from a shattered hand to play. It's why I asked about PK coming back from that neck injury. PK flew all around the ice in Brossard for a month but didn't play.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Sure, but after that crap season, would NMC PK have been a threat to MT and MB's jobs? Look I'm not trying to justify the trade, I've always just tried to understand (not condone) why management felt it had to be made. "Stupid" is not an answer.

What are you even saying? The trade was stupid, we got hosed, and now our team is in the toilet with zero leadership, zero passion and nobody gives a shit.

Meanwhile PK is thriving and he took Weber's team that never went anywhere to the cup finals in his FIRST YEAR there. And he'll probably do it again this year too. Nashville is, for the first time, a relevant team in the NHL.

Reactions: JLP and Habs13

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
It showed more than that to management obviously. Gally came back early from a shattered hand to play. It's why I asked about PK coming back from that neck injury. PK flew all around the ice in Brossard for a month but didn't play.
So, you're wondering why he was careful with a NECK injury? And you bet your house whatever conclusions this management comes to about anything aren't based on logic, merit, or anything sane or sound. This team is a farce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad