Post-Game Talk: Predators def. Canucks - 4-2 (Highmore, Ekman-Larsson)

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
The coach following Boudreau (Carlyle) wasnt enamoured with Theodore either ..Theodore was back in the minors again.

Theodore turned a massive corner when he joined Vegas..before that point, he had holes in his game.

Well duh, he was only 21. Hoglander/Podzolkin are the same age and finding their way. Scratching them or giving them under 12 min a game doesn't really accomplish much right now nor the future when the franchise needs these guys to properly develop their offensive game.

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
This is what the Ducks fan was warning me about. This coach can employ a decent system but lacks the ability to do anything more including develop younger players. The example they gave was Kevin Bieksa getting continued ice time exceeding 20 min during 2015-16 despite being shit while an NHL ready Shea Theordore (at age 20) would get benched after the odd mistake.

although I have no proof to back this up besides logic, I believe dim Jim needlessly nerfed the Kesler deal because his love for overagers and his shortsighted vision that we were a quick fix.

I believe the 1st(Mcann) and Theodore was totally on the table . Pretty sure Anaheim going all in would have loved to keep bonino and sbisa for their playoff run and they weren’t playing Theodore yet . I think dim Jim insisted on Bonino so we had a 2nd line Center to replace Kesler when we didn’t need one.

Speculation yes but after my case study on Dim I am sure this was the case.

Reactions: sting101

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well duh, he was only 21. Hoglander/Podzolkin are the same age and finding their way. Scratching them or giving them under 12 min a game doesn't really accomplish much right now nor the future when the franchise needs these guys to properly develop their offensive game.
He obviously was not NHL ready...even at 23...Even in Vegas' inaugural year he started in the minors..So, cant fault Boudreau for his slow development.( Carlyle and Gallant both sent him to the minors)....Some guys just take longer to get it together.
Shea Theodore Recalled From Chicago Wolves

Last edited:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
During this brief window here when the team is trying to make a "playoff push" I understand scratching Podkolzin/Hoglander/young players if the goal is to put out the best lineup and win games. It doesn't really bother me.

But I'm only fine with it if it's corrected on the other side. If this team is out, those same guys need to be fed minutes. PP, PK, whatever you can throw at them.

Reactions: Lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
During this brief window here when the team is trying to make a "playoff push" I understand scratching Podkolzin/Hoglander/young players if the goal is to put out the best lineup and win games. It doesn't really bother me.

But I'm only fine with it if it's corrected on the other side. If this team is out, those same guys need to be fed minutes. PP, PK, whatever you can throw at them.

And you can throw Rathbone in there. He'd better be getting regular minutes by the passing of the trade deadline.

Reactions: m9

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Hoglander is honestly more effective than Pod right now, and probably Dickinson/Chiasson combined. But I guess one game sitting won’t hurt.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015

Looks like Hoglander gets to sit and watch tonight. Don't agree with that call any more than I did the Podkolzin one.

shutterstock_117093997.jpg

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
I don't mind scratching young players occasionally. The players that are playing the best should be playing, and it usually lights a fire underneath them. But when they are scratched for slow ass Alex Chiasson who is absolutely useless at ES it is another story.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
although I have no proof to back this up besides logic, I believe dim Jim needlessly nerfed the Kesler deal because his love for overagers and his shortsighted vision that we were a quick fix.

I believe the 1st(Mcann) and Theodore was totally on the table . Pretty sure Anaheim going all in would have loved to keep bonino and sbisa for their playoff run and they weren’t playing Theodore yet . I think dim Jim insisted on Bonino so we had a 2nd line Center to replace Kesler when we didn’t need one.

Speculation yes but after my case study on Dim I am sure this was the case.
Completey agree and it bothers me to this day that we didn't go full rebuild in 14/15.

In the draft video they talk about Bonino and that he can give us 20 goals. They thought Sbisa could be a top4 and determined they would nurture him into that role. .

The reports at the time was that Anaheim really didn't want to part with Bonino but to acquire an elite #2 that could give Perry and Getzlaf the best kick at the can they did.

They would have parted with Theodore but Jimbo was gonna manage year to year and blew it

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Pettersson’s first touch of the puck … unpressurized misses an open Garland by a mile.

This is the most concerning thing about EP's struggles this year. It's like he forgot how to handle the puck and pass. It's like the robot devil switched his hands with some one else in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad