Post-Game Talk: Predators def. Canucks - 4-2 (Highmore, Ekman-Larsson)

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Again, if there had been a coaching change to a winning vet coach before the season..The Canucks would be comfortably in a playoff spot right now..Not a contender, but a solid playoff team.
Even if this was true, this team is not the same group next year because of the cap, it will be a step back next year regardless of the outcome this season. No cap space.

After the allstar break the schedule becomes much more difficult.

As I posted before a team needs to be able to win 16 regulation games out of 28 regulation games to be considered half decent. When half the league makes the playoffs getting there is just not good enough. Winning 16 games in regulation in the regular/easy season is just the start of getting good.

They have to beat teams like the Preds and others in playoff races, in regulation, they have to get better at 5 on 5. Many of the shots they get now are easy saves or nailing the goalie center mass.
Can't keep relying upon Demko/Halak game after game

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
As I posted before a team needs to be able to win 16 regulation games out of 28 regulation games to be considered half decent. When half the league makes the playoffs getting there is just not good enough. Winning 16 games in regulation in the regular/easy season is just the start of getting good.
Only one team in the NHL this season, the Hurricanes, have won this percentage of their games in regulation.

Reactions: theguardianII

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Even if this was true, this team is not the same group next year because of the cap, it will be a step back next year regardless of the outcome this season. No cap space.

They have to beat teams like the Preds and others in playoff races, in regulation, they have to get better at 5 on 5. Many of the shots they get now are easy saves or nailing the goalie center mass.
The schedule becomes more difficult..?..Since BB, the only team that has obviously overmatched them is Carolina, I feel confident they can beat 90% of the league on any given night...We haven't even played Arizona yet..

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
If Demko plays like he did in Calgary Saturday night, then we have a shot. And we need shots.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Preds should win, rested, at home and fighting for a playoff berth. Vancouver isn't taken for granted too many times anymore. For years it was they faced backup goalies, not so much anymore.
Even Bruce can't make this group a winner. They need, like 26 wins in the rest of the season and 2 teams to bomb for a chance at a divisional top 3.

Lose today and by the end of allstar weekend there will be a change

Not THAT dire... If LA, Ana and the Oil continue to play 0.575 hockey to finish the season, we need to play at 0.628 to catch em..

likash

Apr 17, 2019
Nothing really changed in the end. Mediocre team carried by Demko's stellar play. Nothing will change untill the defence is fixed and we get a solid defensive C who can win draws.

@theguardianII Really?Most teams have used the backup goalie this year vs the canucks on b2b games.The preds are rested and it;'s obvious they won;'t start the backup. It has nothing to do with us. They would start the same lineup vs Zona.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Preds should win, rested, at home and fighting for a playoff berth. Vancouver isn't taken for granted too many times anymore. For years it was they faced backup goalies, not so much anymore.
Even Bruce can't make this group a winner. They need, like 26 wins in the rest of the season and 2 teams to bomb for a chance at a divisional top 3.

Lose today and by the end of allstar weekend there will be a change
Actually under Bruce they have been winners. Not sure what you are looking at. The hole the team was in was a Travis Green mess, don’t put that on Bruce.

nice attempt to troll though

Sedinery

May 24, 2021

Of course the team needs changes, why the h do you think Green and JB were fired? Duh yes we are in cap hell, that is not new news.

the fact we are even talking playoffs is a miracle given the hole the team was in.

fact is Bruce is making most of the hand he was dealt, thats more than could be said about his predecessor and Trader Jim has his own JB mess to clean up

in the meantime, enjoy the ride

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Only one team in the NHL this season, the Hurricanes, have won this percentage of their games in regulation.
Actually looking at all the teams that have 16 regulation wins so far, Colorado, Florida, Pittsburgh, Carolina, Washington, Toronto, Boston, Tampa, StLouis, Preds, Knights, and the Rangers all more than 16 regulation wins, in fact most have 20 or more with LA, Flames and Oilers with 19 and Ducks and Stars hitting 16 regulation wins most with less games played too
The schedule becomes more difficult..?..Since BB, the only team that has obviously overmatched them is Carolina, I feel confident they can beat 90% of the league on any given night...We haven't even played Arizona yet..

More difficult in that less down time for practices and more games vs teams over .500, more back to backs

Not THAT dire... If LA, Ana and the Oil continue to play 0.575 hockey to finish the season, we need to play at 0.628 to catch em..
.628, the Canucks have not reached that even since Bruce took over. Close but still a harder schedule to come

Actually under Bruce they have been winners. Not sure what you are looking at. The hole the team was in was a Travis Green mess, don’t put that on Bruce.

nice attempt to troll though

12 wins 8 losses so far. And yes Bruce can only coach what he has and the honeymoon is over now. No blame on Bruce or for that matter Green, Benning didn't help anywhere to stabilize this group, if anything he did more damage.

At no time did I diss Bruce, I think he is a hell of a coach.

Of course the team needs changes, why the h do you think Green and JB were fired? Duh yes we are in cap hell, that is not new news.

the fact we are even talking playoffs is a miracle given the hole the team was in.

fact is Bruce is making most of the hand he was dealt, thats more than could be said about his predecessor and Trader Jim has his own JB mess to clean up

in the meantime, enjoy the ride

Talking playoffs is a dream, possible but highly unlikely. Too many teams have to fall on their faces to make it and then what? Woohoo, as good as half the league, YAAAA! For this year only. And only because other teams failed, not because this team beats them. So this team didn't fail as badly.

This is not trolling, it is just not being a cheerleader trying to mislead fans or create a fantasy.

JR has 5 times a worse mess to clean up than Gillis left Benning, 10 times worse because it is going to cost young and good players to get out of it

This game vs the Preds may be the last game that they are rested, well that and the back to back coming out of the allstar break.

One game does not a season make, neither does only part of a season. What will be the storyline if JR trades Miller, Horvat, Boeser or some other player? "we could'a been contenders"

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know a lot of posters, myself included, tend to dismiss coaching as having a great impact on what happens on the ice. You either have the 'right guys' on your roster, or you don't.

But there's no way of dismissing the impact of Bruce Boudreau, Scott Walker and the rest of the coaches have had on this team. Consider that under Travis Green the Canucks were consistently one of the NHL's worst defensive teams and their PK was headed towards a historically bad season.

But slowly and surely under Boudreau, the Canucks are climbing the ladder and becoming one of the best five-on-five teams in the NHL. And heading into tonight's game in Nashville, they've killed 15 penalties in a row, including a five minute major in Calgary.

Although the scoring has been patchy, there's no denying that the system Boudreau has them playing has turned the p***ycats into tigers on the defensive side of the ledger. Really hard to believe it's the same team that stumbled to an 8-15-4 record under Green and Baumgartner.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I know a lot of posters, myself included, tend to dismiss coaching as having a great impact on what happens on the ice. You either have the 'right guys' on your roster, or you don't.

But there's no way of dismissing the impact of Bruce Boudreau, Scott Walker and the rest of the coaches have had on this team. Consider that under Travis Green the Canucks were consistently one of the NHL's worst defensive teams and their PK was headed towards a historically bad season.

But slowly and surely under Boudreau, the Canucks are climbing the ladder and becoming one of the best five-on-five teams in the NHL. And heading into tonight's game in Nashville, they've killed 15 penalties in a row, including a five minute major in Calgary.

Although the scoring has been patchy, there's no denying that the system Boudreau has them playing has turned the p***ycats into tigers on the defensive side of the ledger. Really hard to believe it's the same team that stumbled to an 8-15-4 record under Green and Baumgartner.

Bruce has come in and employed a low event system that relies on forwards aiding the defense in the defensive zone. The upside is that our D are no longer collapsing to their own hash prior to the other team entering the zone which is limiting odd man rushes and breakdowns down low. The biggest downside in this is that we are taking a massive hit in our offense and the younger guys (Podzolkin/Hoglander) are seeing limited TOI due to their undeveloped defensive play.

Travis Green was the worst coach in the NHL for multiple years. Really had no clue how to implement any system whatsoever and it's funny because many of us here saw what was wrong there with our D just constantly giving up the blueline while the forwards were positioned up the ice.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Bruce has come in and employed a low event system that relies on forwards aiding the defense in the defensive zone. The upside is that our D are no longer collapsing to their own hash prior to the other team entering the zone which is limiting odd man rushes and breakdowns down low. The biggest downside in this is that we are taking a massive hit in our offense and the younger guys (Podzolkin/Hoglander) are seeing limited TOI due to their undeveloped defensive play.

Travis Green was the worst coach in the NHL for multiple years. Really had no clue how to implement any system whatsoever. With average goaltending, those 2017-2021 teams finish bottom 3 each year.

Boudreau manages personnel much like Green (frustratingly) but is an actual good coach who is getting the defensive results that Green wanted to get but couldn't.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Boudreau manages personnel much like Green (frustratingly) but is an actual good coach who is getting the defensive results that Green wanted to get but couldn't.

This is what the Ducks fan was warning me about. This coach can employ a decent system but lacks the ability to do anything more including develop younger players. The example they gave was Kevin Bieksa getting continued ice time exceeding 20 min during 2015-16 despite being shit while an NHL ready Shea Theordore (at age 20) would get benched after the odd mistake.

Feb 19, 2018
Pettersson with Podkolzin and Garland has shown great chemistry. I hope those three are on a line and we try Horvat with Miller and Boeser tonight.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
Any update on Hamonic and his “set back”. It’s been awhile now since last update….

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This is what the Ducks fan was warning me about. This coach can employ a decent system but lacks the ability to do anything more including develop younger players. The example they gave was Kevin Bieksa getting continued ice time exceeding 20 min during 2015-16 despite being shit while an NHL ready Shea Theordore (at age 20) would get benched after the odd mistake.
The coach following Boudreau (Carlyle) wasnt enamoured with Theodore either ..Theodore was back in the minors again.

Theodore turned a massive corner when he joined Vegas..before that point, he had holes in his game.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Any update on Hamonic and his “set back”. It’s been awhile now since last update….
who..?
giphy.gif

Last edited:

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Wild had similar stories with him failing to use Fiala well i think.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad