Post-Game Talk: Predators def. Canucks - 4-2 (Highmore, Ekman-Larsson)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't remember Burrows "ending his career." Dumont literally didn't miss a game and played 2 more seasons after. The Preds ended his career by buying him out. Seems like a bit of a forced narrative, but ok I guess.

This has come up before and I had an argument with a Predators fan about it a few years ago. Predators fans have this weird narrative that Burrows ‘ended Dumont’s career’ with that odd hit even though Dumont didn’t miss a game and finished that season absolutely on fire (after the hit) to finish with 65 points, and played two more full healthy seasons before retiring because he was old and slow.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
This has come up before and I had an argument with a Predators fan about it a few years ago. Predators fans have this weird narrative that Burrows ‘ended Dumont’s career’ with that odd hit even though Dumont didn’t miss a game and finished that season absolutely on fire (after the hit) to finish with 65 points, and played two more full healthy seasons before retiring because he was old and slow.

I see it no differently than narratives that are widely held in Canucks fandom about "Naslund was never the same after the Moore hit" or literally just replace those names with Sedin and Keith. If you think those narratives are bogus, then this discussion is over in agreement.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Horvat didnt have a good game, but I'm going to cut him some slack..His last game was against the Canes Jan 15th.. (where he was the lone Canuck scorer)..He didn't get to play or practice with the team for 2 weeks...By the time he got to the second game of this B2B, there probably wasn.t a whole lot there.

He played vs the Flames.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Yeah, I was just looking at that. He did go into a slump after the Vancouver game, but as you say, closed the season with 26 points in 25 games to finish with basically the same totals he had had in the prior two seasons. Then hit a sharp decline in his 30's as a lot of players like him do (including Burrows himself!)

Really seems like a weird narrative, but okay.

Reactions: Vector

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I see it no differently than narratives that are widely held in Canucks fandom about "Naslund was never the same after the Moore hit" or literally just replace those names with Sedin and Keith. If you think those narratives are bogus, then this discussion is over in agreement.

He scored 26 points in 25 games to close out that season after he was hit. Then had 19 points in his first 20 games the following season.

Then he had a normal aging curve for a slow skater over the age of 30. Predators fans with foggy memories are linking a decline to that hit when it happened a year later after one of the most productive stretches of his entire career.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
He scored 26 points in 25 games to close out that season after he was hit. Then had 19 points in his first 20 games the following season.

Then he had a normal aging curve for a slow skater over the age of 30. Predators fans with foggy memories are linking a decline to that hit when it happened a year later after one of the most productive stretches of his entire career.

Those are facts, I'm not arguing against that. The narrative, however valid, remains.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

Dude who posted it said "LOL" and "good times in Nashville" while acknowledging it ended Dumont's career. Nobody was surprised when they tried to burn their own city down. Worst, trashiest fanbase in sports. Hope they stay in the hockey gutter forever.
f*** that guy. Hope he gets to keep watching his shitty team miss the playoffs for another decade or more

Edit... went to their board and cant find the GDT... must have been started by someone I have on ignore LOL

What in the actual f*** is going on in that thread??

Had to check my post over and over again because I thought I was going crazy. I never acknowleged it ended his career and the kicker is I thought it was Jason Arnott that got hit.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
After the “new coach buzz” which always happens wore off in the first 7 games , we are 5-5-4 in the games afterwards. Same pathetic team as with the last coach. Scotty Bowman could coach this shit pile and we wouldn’t be any better.

Reactions: Tomatoes11

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
After the “new coach buzz” which always happens wore off in the first 7 games , we are 5-5-4 in the games afterwards. Same pathetic team as with the last coach. Scotty Bowman could coach this shit pile and we wouldn’t be any better.

Welk Johnny, at least we aren't getting shelled like we were with Travis Green.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Those are facts, I'm not arguing against that. The narrative, however valid, remains.

Well, yes.

But the whole point is that the narrative is nonsense. Dumont didn’t miss a shift and set up a goal on the ensuing PP with Burrows in the box. Then he played at his usual level (or better) for a full year after the hit before hitting a wall towards the end of the following season when he was 32, right in line with typical age-related decline for players of his level.

The hit wasn’t really even ‘career affecting’, much less ‘career ending’.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What in the actual f*** is going on in that thread??

Had to check my post over and over again because I thought I was going crazy. I never acknowleged it ended his career and the kicker is I thought it was Jason Arnott that got hit.

It’s one of the more random things I’ve ever come across in terms of fan hate. The other one is the way some SJ fans are still triggered by the mention of Dana Murzyn 30-odd years after he punched Ulf Dahlen in the back of the head.

Reverend Mayhem

Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Well, yes.

But the whole point is that the narrative is nonsense. Dumont didn’t miss a shift and set up a goal on the ensuing PP with Burrows in the box. Then he played at his usual level (or better) for a full year after the hit before hitting a wall towards the end of the following season when he was 32, right in line with typical age-related decline for players of his level.

The hit wasn’t really even ‘career affecting’, much less ‘career ending’.

What can I say? People like narratives. I think it's as valid as the Naslund and Sedin ones, which is to say one whole "how the f*** would we know?" Which I think will stay that way until Dumont speaks out, which to my knowledge has not happened thus far. Anyways, I've got bigger fish to fry. I'm going to the "Did Rome end Horton's career?" thread.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What can I say? People like narratives. I think it's as valid as the Naslund and Sedin ones, which is to say one whole "how the f*** would we know?" Which I think will stay that way until Dumont speaks out, which to my knowledge has not happened thus far. Anyways, I've got bigger fish to fry. I'm going to the "Did Rome end Horton's career?" thread.

Naslund and Sedin were *actually injured*. And actually had performance downturns after those injuries.

Dumont didn’t miss a shift, and then had one of the best stretches of his career later that season.

For the record, I think the effect on Naslund was more psychological and the notion that ‘the hit ruined his shot’ is also nonsense.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Naslund and Sedin were *actually injured*. And actually had performance downturns after those injuries.

Dumont didn’t miss a shift, and then had one of the best stretches of his career later that season.

For the record, I think the effect on Naslund was more psychological and the notion that ‘the hit ruined his shot’ is also nonsense.

Wasn’t there like legit evidence it ruined his shot? Like bone chips in his elbow that created a tennis elbow type effect? Or was I remembering it wrong. Let me see if I can find it. Lol

edit yeah bone chip lol

Naslund leaves question mark about his future in Vancouver

Botchford: Top 10 times 'the curse' has bitten the Canucks | Vancouver Sun

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Wasn’t there like legit evidence it ruined his shot? Like bone chips in his elbow that created a tennis elbow type effect? Or was I remembering it wrong. Let me see if I can find it. Lol

Hyper extended left elbow and a concussion.

Here’s a quote from another article:

“"I hyper-extended my elbow when I fell," Naslund told the Vancouver Sun. "I feel that it has affected my shooting a little bit. My shot hasn't been as accurate or as heavy as in the past. It has been frustrating.”

Reactions: F A N

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Hyper extended left elbow and a concussion.

Here’s a quote from another article:

“"I hyper-extended my elbow when I fell," Naslund told the Vancouver Sun. "I feel that it has affected my shooting a little bit. My shot hasn't been as accurate or as heavy as in the past. It has been frustrating.”

The importance of playing with confidence gets talked about a lot and when your shot doesn't go in the way it used to, you start to lose confidence. You second guess whether you should shoot from the spot that you previously shoot from because you think you can no longer score from that spot.

With that said, Naslund also reached the age where he can be expected to decline a bit. But certainly, I think Naslund's injury that Vector linked affected him.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
The Canucks lost right?
Just wondered because of the history and anatomy lessons.

More losing coming after all nobody expects them to win them all, even if that is what is necessary to get a sniff at a playoff spot.

They are certainly shooting the puck more often even if not very well

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes