Celtics/NBA Pre-Season Thread: Celtics, now owners of minor league Red Claws, say team will stay in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Don't love the draft, but don't hate it either. But I can't say that I have scouted these guys much at all. Langford sounds like a guy with top pick aspirations come into this season, but couldn't find his stroke (brutal 3pt%) maybe due to hand injury. Numbers looked better before.

It was a bad draft anyway and I doubt many teams will hit on their choices. Thank god Danny didn't trade up. It's gotta be enticing in every draft to grab a player you really like, but this was the wrong draft to go for it.

Now it's gonna be interesting what their plan is with the max cap space. Swinging for the fences (Kawhi = 0%), Vucevic (not really that great) or taking on bad salary in order to get future draft picks. We gotta get a big, Williams is the only one left on the roster. So it's either Vuc, Capela (rumored) or someone like Adams.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm not a big basketball fan but figured I'd pass this along fwiw:

Why ESPN Includes Celtics Biggest Among Winners Of 2019 NBA Draft

The Boston Celtics were awfully active Thursday night at Barclays Center.

The Celtics, who entered the 2019 NBA Draft with four total picks including three first-rounders, managed to address their pressing needs all while corraling future assets. Boston bolstered its offense with the selection of Romeo Langford at No. 14 overall before working out trades involving their next two first-round picks. When all was said and done, the C's picked up two more guards, a gritty power forward and a 2020 first-round pick. They even managed to shed Aron Baynes' salary as they look to create more cap space.

All things considered, ESPN tabs Boston as one of the biggest winners of this year's draft.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I'm not a big basketball fan but figured I'd pass this along fwiw:

Why ESPN Includes Celtics Biggest Among Winners Of 2019 NBA Draft

The Boston Celtics were awfully active Thursday night at Barclays Center.

The Celtics, who entered the 2019 NBA Draft with four total picks including three first-rounders, managed to address their pressing needs all while corraling future assets. Boston bolstered its offense with the selection of Romeo Langford at No. 14 overall before working out trades involving their next two first-round picks. When all was said and done, the C's picked up two more guards, a gritty power forward and a 2020 first-round pick. They even managed to shed Aron Baynes' salary as they look to create more cap space.

All things considered, ESPN tabs Boston as one of the biggest winners of this year's draft.

Funny how varied opinions are. Yahoo Sports pegged the Celtics as one of the draft losers

Last edited:

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Huge year coming up for Jayson Tatum. Unless they trade him, now is the time for him to prove if he's capable of being one of these superstars that try to recruit other guys in order to create a superteam. Although, who am I kidding. If he does flourish without Kyrie he'll probably team up with another star...in a city other than Boston.

Even with Ainge clearing cap space what I really don't want to see them do is overpay a 2nd tier guy. If you can't get a top guy out there just go with what you have and try to move forward with Tatum as your lead guy.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It sucks that you've gone from title contender last year to not even relevant right now but it is what it is. Cruel reality.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Vucevic is fine there aren’t many better centers out there and it costs you nothing. Try and keep it to 3 years but even if it’s 4 he’s only 31 entering the final year. Bet on this core the superstars have no desire to live in Boston.

I think we went a long way to building a very good and very cheap second unit last night.

Smart Brown Tatum Hayward Vucevic

Edwards Langford Williams Semi Williams/Yabu

Waters Theis and a shooter to round things out.

Add Terry or don’t. Most guys are versatile and can fill multiple spots when injuries hit or whatever. That’s a good team of guys improve.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Hard pass on a guy who was a double double machine last year that also plays a position of need?
It's more about the length of a deal, not the player.

Even a guy like Kemba at a max deal with this roster is dicey.

They're better off not tying themselves up cap wise for the next few seasons.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I saw him one game this year- not impressed
Obviously it's a project. If he was a sure thing he would've been drafted last night. His height is worth taking a flyer on considering he'll now have professional strength & conditioning staff to work with and Stevens coaching him.

There's a good chance he gets cut after the tryout ends, but there's also the odd chance he turns into a shot-blocking center. Considering the lack of height on the current roster, why not take that chance on the guy for a summer tryout contract?

Reactions: MAINE-IAC

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The Boston media excitement about the celtics future sounds like Kyries attitude this year, especially ordway. Celtics will be very good IMO

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards

tumblr_inline_mkyrnbxUfq1qz4rgp.gif

Reactions: N o o d l e s
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad