Celtics/NBA Pre-Season Thread: Celtics, now owners of minor league Red Claws, say team will stay in Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Shame we are moving this was getting interested in Jerome. Great size and passer. Perfect competition for Terry if he wants to be a headcase.

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
Nobody wants Bol because if he turns out to be good he's going to turn into sawdust after getting hit by a gust of wind the wrong way

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well at least I can pronounce and spell their names.

I was afraid they’d take some guy named Uhro Vaakanainen

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Prior to the draft, CelticsBlog.com had Grant Williams listed 4th overall in their player rankings:

If you follow me on Twitter, you’re familiar with my affinity for Grant Williams. Williams is the strongest player in the Draft, arguably the smartest, and undoubtedly my favorite. While skeptics have often pointed to Williams’ size as detrimental to his NBA translation, he quieted those concerns at the combine, measuring in at 6’7.5” with a 6’9.75”. Williams has NBA forward height and length, but his outlier physical tool is his strength.

On the glass, defending larger players, impacting shots at the rim, finishing through contact, carving out space to get his shot off, Williams applies his strength at an utterly elite level. And that’s not going to change in the NBA.

Williams’ strength needs to be discussed more as a game-changing athletic trait. Strength, when applied to all the aspects of the game Williams applies it to, is as valuable as any athletic ability. Watch players lacking positional size like Marcus Smart or PJ Tucker dominate defensively through strength. Tune into the highest levels of play to see Kawhi Leonard ride strength to a Finals MVP. Physically, Williams has the tools to exert his will on NBA basketball games.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
So that Bucks pick that Phoenix traded to Boston is top 7 protected in 2020 and then unprotected in 2021.
Yeah, but there's no chance of the Bucks falling into the top 7 any time soon. It'll convey next year as like the 28th overall.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
For what it's worth, CelticsBlog.com rated Romeo Langford 12th overall:

I have a bad Romeo Langford habit I just can’t quit. I see his shot mechanics and 27.2% 3-point percentage, but believe in his touch translating to passable 3-point shooting eventually. I see bad off-ball lapses in which he surrenders back cuts for uncontested layups, but believe in the occasional out-of-area play he makes around the rim thanks to a spark of defensive awareness. I see plenty of missed passes, but believe in the occasional pocket pass to the roll man or kick out while attacking a closeout.

Langford has considerable flaws. Most damaging is his shooting (if I could pitch the optimistic point of view on that, he has amazing touch and was 65th percentile in the halfcourt on off-the-dribble jumpers, proficiency which likely stems from his preference to shoot with backward momentum). But his strengths are real.

Langford’s an awesome on-ball defender with excellent physical tools (height, length, strength). I expect him to be a very plus on-ball wing defender with legitimate positional versatility.

As a slasher, Langford’s powerful. I’m concerned that he won too much with strength and not enough with his handle or explosion, but he should be strong even by NBA standards, and he knows how to apply that strength to dislodge defenders at the rim and create space to capitalize on his elite touch.

I have a suspicion Langford has some semblance of athletic upside, too. Langford subjected himself to every anthropological measurement at the NBA combine except for weight and body fat percentage. My guess would be this was a not-so-subtle attempt to hide the fact that he’s a bit chubby.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For what it's worth, CelticsBlog.com rated Romeo Langford 12th overall:

I have a bad Romeo Langford habit I just can’t quit. I see his shot mechanics and 27.2% 3-point percentage, but believe in his touch translating to passable 3-point shooting eventually. I see bad off-ball lapses in which he surrenders back cuts for uncontested layups, but believe in the occasional out-of-area play he makes around the rim thanks to a spark of defensive awareness. I see plenty of missed passes, but believe in the occasional pocket pass to the roll man or kick out while attacking a closeout.

Langford has considerable flaws. Most damaging is his shooting (if I could pitch the optimistic point of view on that, he has amazing touch and was 65th percentile in the halfcourt on off-the-dribble jumpers, proficiency which likely stems from his preference to shoot with backward momentum). But his strengths are real.

Langford’s an awesome on-ball defender with excellent physical tools (height, length, strength). I expect him to be a very plus on-ball wing defender with legitimate positional versatility.

As a slasher, Langford’s powerful. I’m concerned that he won too much with strength and not enough with his handle or explosion, but he should be strong even by NBA standards, and he knows how to apply that strength to dislodge defenders at the rim and create space to capitalize on his elite touch.

I have a suspicion Langford has some semblance of athletic upside, too. Langford subjected himself to every anthropological measurement at the NBA combine except for weight and body fat percentage. My guess would be this was a not-so-subtle attempt to hide the fact that he’s a bit chubby.

Interesting. I didn't know Danny Ainge ran a fan blog in his spare time

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'd be happy with Edwards or Bol here at 33. I expect Danny to go off the board with something unremarkable, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad