GDT: pre-season LA Kings vs Vancouver Canucks @6:00pm 9/24/18

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
i hope we keep the Pearson - Amadio - Toffoli line together

love the balance, haven't been this balanced in a long time!

What a difference ONE player can make

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
The lighting tonight is an embarrassment to the Kings and the NHL. No other professional sports league would accept lighting levels this poor.

How hard is it to install 8 or 10 temporary lights from the rafters above?

Hope they get it figured out for the next 3 or 4 preseason games we're playing in SLC.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
Kovalchuk seems like a guy who coasts through preseason but knows how to be ready when the games count. Just has that vibe about him.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
The lighting tonight is an embarrassment to the Kings and the NHL. No other professional sports league would accept lighting levels this poor.

How hard is it to install 8 or 10 temporary lights from the rafters above?

Hope they get it figured out for the next 3 or 4 preseason games we're playing in SLC.
I can only assume the pretzels had an inadequately low amount of salt as well. :thumbd:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i hope we keep the Pearson - Amadio - Toffoli line together

love the balance, haven't been this balanced in a long time!

What a difference ONE player can make

I haven't watched tonight yet--it's on the DVR for after football and baseball haha. But they looked phenomenal the other night as well, so it's a trend. Amadio raises his level of play with offensive players in the shocker of the year (sarcasm just in case). He might be the key to the roster this year honestly. Now, if Brodzinski and/or Vilardi show up to do anything at all, it's just a bonus.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Solid game against a pretty crappy roster. Iafallo looked really good, Brickley too. He doesn't think, just reacts, and looks surprisingly good for a defensman with such limited experience. The player who stood out the most to me though was Amadio. He's played his way on the team, I don't care who we might lose on waivers.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Brickley already looks like a veteran on the blueline and has been playing with Doughty for years. That’s how comfortable he looks out there.

I can’t say the same about the other dmen who are vying for jobs. Though Fantenberg looked just fine playing on the right side tonight paired with Phaneuf. I like that he doesn’t hesitate to shoot the puck from the blueline.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Kings got a lot of opportunities from between the circles. That's what I hope to see more of this season. Prime scoring areas and hounding the goalie.

Reactions: King Trouty
Jul 31, 2005
CA
Amadio I thought was the stand out player of the game. Obviously Toffoil is up there as well, attacking the center of the ice and scoring 2. I think Kovalchuk is gonna be good for the Kings, any players who slept walk through the game I write it off to pre season. I did feel like I was watching Stevens hockey in the first, not a good feeling.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Brickley already looks like a veteran on the blueline and has been playing with Doughty for years. That’s how comfortable he looks out there.

I can’t say the same about the other dmen who are vying for jobs. Though Fantenberg looked just fine playing on the right side tonight paired with Phaneuf. I like that he doesn’t hesitate to shoot the puck from the blueline.

I agree. Brickley should be here to stay

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Brickley and Amadio definitely impressed. Brickley definitely has the best toolset of any d-man on the roster not named Doughty, the d-man I saw tonight was better than even Muzzin. Not saying that holds up, but the raw ceiling is there. He can keep up with Doughty and think like him, but also looked like he'd be fine being 'in charge,' like Voynov. Could run his own pairing imo, like when Muzzin was playing #3. If they somehow keep Fantenberg up over him just because, I'll be disappointed. And everyone knows how hard I've been riding for LaDue...Brickley should be a regular, LaDue maybe the #7.

Amadio just continuing his trend of year-to-year explosive growth.

Of course, have to keep in mind just about everyone looks good in victory.

Martyros

Allow me to retort
Aug 13, 2005
Holly Hood
You see Kopitar doing his thing (Iafallo as well) in almost every sequence. Kovalchuk and Kopitar have looked good together from what little i've seen so far.

Seventyx7

Carter Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2004
Norcal
You see Kopitar doing his thing (Iafallo as well) in almost every sequence. Kovalchuk and Kopitar have looked good together from what little i've seen so far.
\

Kovalchuk looks pretty bad from what I have seen... Obviously too early to be worried, but hopefully this is just preseason Ilya and he shakes the rust off.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
I was at the game last night and yeah, the lighting was weird. Bigger crowd for the game than I thought would be there. Lots of teams represented by their fans which was actually pretty cool, but killed any chance for chants, the crowd was pretty dead. Long Beach Ice Dogs games had crowds that were louder than the crowd last night. But it was cool hearing a bunch of people explain the game to people that were with them. That is how the game grows. TONS of Lewis jerseys, for obvious reasons.

First period was too LOOOOONG due to the fact that the nets kept coming off the moorings. There was a time an add started to peel away from the boards behind the net, a ref had to put it back on after the play moved to center ice. Not sure if its because my ears feel like they're plugged from my cold, but the audio wasn't loud enough.

I hate split squad games, so it was good to see the entire team together. Toffoli looked good (that line was buzzing). Kopi looked good. Brown when he stayed on his feet looked good. AMart looked good too. Lots of mishandled passes and fans on shots by the Kings. Kovy had 3 give-a-ways which led to 3 scoring chances and 1 goal by the Canucks. That was just in the first 2 periods. Brickley looked pretty good playing big minutes with Doughty. The Carter-Kovy-Kempe line was pretty lackluster....didn't notice Kempe, only noticed Carter a couple of times and Kovy....as mentioned above.

I haven't been to a game in about 6 years since I moved, but concessions prices were WAAAY too high. $7.25 for large soda?! I used to work at the Anaheim Convention Center and our prices weren't nearly as bad!

Anyway, the Salt Lake Shootout isn't great (its not what Frozen Fury was). It definitely left a lot to be desired but if more kings fans showed up it could be better. I'd recommend it for any fans PLANNING to come next year. If you're not planning on coming, then it could be an easy pass.

Also, does this mean the NHL plans to expand to SLC in a few years? Oh and Bailey almost fell off a motorcycle during intermission. It was him and the Jazz mascot....Jazz mascot was steering, went to turn and put too much gas (no traction on ice) and when the tire finally caught, it fishtailed. Not sure if Bailey was planning on getting off the bike at that time or not lol, but he stayed on his feet.

Dexter Sinister

Sep 26, 2015
Idahizzle
Also, someone mentioned earlier in the thread about Doughty being slow to come off the ice, in the 1st. Yeah it was pretty scary watching him slowly get up and skating straight to the bench, but obviously he was okay.

Reactions: Sol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad